IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350/250 Paddle Shift Downshifts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-05, 01:23 PM
hofman_dzn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350/250 Paddle Shift Downshifts?

Does the new IS blip the throttle on the downshifts when using the paddles like on the G35? Can anybody who has test-driven it confirm this?

Thanks
Old 10-19-05, 01:50 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, when did automatic transmissions blips throttles?

I always thought "blipping" the throttle is only for manuals, since you do it when the clutch is engaged.

Must drive a G35 again...
Old 10-19-05, 02:04 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

no, the throttle is not blipped on downshift like M35/45. This issue was mentioned in C&D's 6 car comparo a few months back. C&D also mentioned that with 277 lb-ft in the 350, this was unnecessary (I don't know what that means). So far it seems that everyone who has driven the car thought that the transmission was smooth, although a tad slow with paddle-shifting.
Old 10-19-05, 02:33 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Hmm, definately new to me. I'm looking at the Infiniti website. I'm going to try to swing by the dealership tonight and check out the M45.
Old 10-19-05, 04:37 PM
vwong
Driver

I just test drove the 6AT IS250 last night. Definitely there was no blip.
Old 10-19-05, 04:41 PM
GonzoBuggs
Driver

What's a blip?
Old 10-19-05, 04:49 PM
brucewayne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GonzoBuggs
What's a blip?
I believe it means that the computer will "tap" the throttle to match the revs for the downshift, which makes the shift smoother.

I'm not sure why this it to your advantage when using the paddles (as you are most likely driving aggressively anyway), or why high engine torque makes this unnecessary though ...
Old 10-19-05, 04:51 PM
GonzoBuggs
Driver

Originally Posted by brucewayne
I believe it means that the computer will "tap" the throttle to match the revs for the downshift, which makes the shift smoother.

I'm not sure why this it to your advantage when using the paddles (as you are most likely driving aggressively anyway), or why high engine torque makes this unnecessary though ...
Thanks
Old 10-19-05, 08:27 PM
limeIS350
Driver School Candidate

Have REV matching(bliping or double clutching) when down shifting on both of my 05 G35 coupe and 06 M3.

Last edited by limeIS350; 10-19-05 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-19-05, 08:57 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by hofman_dzn
Does the new IS blip the throttle on the downshifts when using the paddles like on the G35? Can anybody who has test-driven it confirm this?

Thanks

No it doesn't. If you haven't yet, click on the link in my signature right below...
Old 10-19-05, 09:08 PM
Celsius
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those unfamiliar with racing, "rev matching" the engine during a down shift will keep the car in the desired power band and keep the car in control while switching to a lower gear in preparation for taking a turn. If you ever down shifted and just popped the clutch without keeping the rpm's up, you would hear the rear wheels breaking traction. This would be dangerous at high speeds because the back end of the car could become uncontrollable and you would loose time during a race.

As for the comments of "blipping", not being necessary because of the relatively high torque, that depends on where the torque curve is within the rpm range.

Jim

Last edited by Celsius; 10-19-05 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-20-05, 08:43 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

the purpose of "blip throttle" or "rev matching" is to not upset the car balance while aggressive downshifting at a turn (like going from 5th or 4th gear to 2nd gear). Unless the car has a TON of torque in higher gear that downshifting is not necessary coming out of a turn. In racing situations or at a track events, it seems like downshifting is always needed and having an "auto" car able to do the "rev matching" is really NICE so the driver can concentrating on the line.

to name a few, cars like the M3 with SMG II tranny or the Audi with DSG tranny can do the rev-matching. I did not know car with torque converter like the G35 can do the rev-matching.

Anyway, any cars that can do the rev-matching get a from me. As for my car, I've got to do it myself, you know, using two feet for clutching, braking, gasing and the hands shifting and turning all at the same time while concentrating on the road ahead.. You see why it is nice if the car can do that for you?
Old 10-20-05, 09:16 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Originally Posted by newr

Anyway, any cars that can do the rev-matching get a from me. As for my car, I've got to do it myself, you know, using two feet for clutching, braking, gasing and the hands shifting and turning all at the same time while concentrating on the road ahead.. You see why it is nice if the car can do that for you?
Man, The Best Motoring guys just make it look so easy.
Old 10-20-05, 01:41 PM
The Chad
Driver

Originally Posted by newr
the purpose of "blip throttle" or "rev matching" is to not upset the car balance while aggressive downshifting at a turn (like going from 5th or 4th gear to 2nd gear). Unless the car has a TON of torque in higher gear that downshifting is not necessary coming out of a turn. In racing situations or at a track events, it seems like downshifting is always needed and having an "auto" car able to do the "rev matching" is really NICE so the driver can concentrating on the line.

to name a few, cars like the M3 with SMG II tranny or the Audi with DSG tranny can do the rev-matching. I did not know car with torque converter like the G35 can do the rev-matching.

The ZF 6-speed automatic transmission in the Aston Martin DB9 and Range Rover Sport (to name a few biggies) rev match on downshifts for smoothness, and they are torque converter automatics.
Old 10-20-05, 02:43 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The Chad
The ZF 6-speed automatic transmission in the Aston Martin DB9 and Range Rover Sport (to name a few biggies) rev match on downshifts for smoothness, and they are torque converter automatics.
thanks for sharing. I will do a search and see how it works. Can someone confirm that the G35 auto tranny also do rev-matching?

Quick Reply: IS350/250 Paddle Shift Downshifts?