IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Bought manual IS300, now a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-19, 12:36 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bought manual IS300, now a few questions

I ended up buying a manual IS300 and have a w58 tripod laying around in the garage and thought about swapping the w58 in instead of the w55. But before I do, I have a few questions;
  1. Are clutches interchangeable between the w55 and w58? I have a brand new w55 clutch, fork, and pilot barring that I would like to install at the same time
  2. Research tells me that I need to change something on the w58 shifter to line up correctly to the manual IS300 hole, can anybody elaborate on exactly what needs to be done (with pics if possible) on the shifter portion of the w58?
  3. Is it possible to retain the electronic seat functions with an aftermarket seat, ie Bride racing seat? I know the SC guys had to conjure up a custom kit and wasn't sure if there was one available for the IS300
  4. 2JZNA-T- Is it worth dropping money into if rods and pistons are upgraded for single turbo? I don't really want to buy another motor ($2500+) when I could just upgrade the one I have. I'd only be asking 350hp max, don't wanna blow up the w58.
The following users liked this post:
Beachtyme (06-09-19)
Old 06-09-19, 06:58 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Partial sympathy post, as this sub-forum is a little slow.

I've never done a clutch on this car, although my '02 IS300 is a manual. I'd imagine someone has does this, you'll just need to dig deeper. At the minimum the W58 schematic(s) should tell you if things will / will not line up. I doubt it's a direct swap or fit, but I concede that I have no experience on this.

I would imagine on the seat swap that someone has made a custom rail or adapter that would allow you to do as you wish, again, just a research and dig into the info out there.

As for boost, I know the stock internals can handle a mild, stage 1 SC as far as forced induction, knew several guys back in the day that went that route and didn't have issues, but not sure what long term would be. Most guys that I knew who went turbo did the build side of the engine internals just to be safe. I don't see any reason you can't tear down and rebuild the 2JZ you have already as opposed to swapping for one already built. No snail on mine, so I'm just speaking from what I knew of the guys back-in-the-day.

There's so much info out there (my.is and other places) about boosting this car, I'd imagine all of the answers are out there.