IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Wierd noise from back when driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-17, 03:02 AM
omeo21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd noise from back when driving

I noticed while driving with the window down that I get a wierd squeaking type noise from one of the back wheels. It is very faint when driving and is hardly audible however when breaking the noise increases and becomes more audible. It sounds like something rubbing on something.when the windowsill up I can hear absolutely nothing. I don’t know how long this has been going on as I don’t drive with the windows down. Does anyone know what it may be. A friend advised it may be due to the below picture regarding rotary disc, but this is on the left side and the noise appears to becoming from the right side where the rotary disc is completely fine ?

Old 10-19-17, 11:14 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

You most definitely have a brake problem on that wheel. Notice that the shiny part on the rotor is only a small circle. Compare it to your other rotors and you'll see the difference. When was the last time you changed your brake pads? You may need to get the pictured rotor turned to even it back out.
Old 10-24-17, 09:41 AM
omeo21
Driver School Candidate

I believe it was about a year ago. It passed MOT This July. I took it to the mechanic and he said it the pads,discs and Caliper all rear needed to be changed. But I thought this would cause issue when braking? The noise sometimes appears when driving ?
Old 10-25-17, 05:41 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

"An MOT test certificate confirms that at the time of test, the vehicle has met the minimum acceptable environmental and road safety standards. It does not mean that the vehicle is roadworthy for the life of the certificate"
Your pad looks completely worn out. It's probably flopping around in the caliper. You need to get that repaired ASAP or you're going to need a new rotor if you don't already. It ultimately may not be all your problems, but looking at it, the brakes are a problem. Fix them and see if the noise still happens.
Old 11-01-17, 08:46 AM
Juicebocs
Driver School Candidate

I'm currently having a similar issue. I think it's a brake issue where the pads slightly rub on the rotor even when not pressing down on the brake. I'm going to take it apart this weekend to see if anything stands out. I also noticed the noise when driving and braking with the windows down. Also, mine sort of pulls to the left during the initial brake press and the rear left is where i believe the problem is.

Last edited by Juicebocs; 11-01-17 at 08:47 AM. Reason: info supplement
Old 11-08-17, 01:07 PM
omeo21
Driver School Candidate

Your issue sounds exactly like mine. I would appreciate it if you could let me know what you find?

thanks
Old 11-10-17, 07:19 AM
Juicebocs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by omeo21
Your issue sounds exactly like mine. I would appreciate it if you could let me know what you find?

thanks
I changed my brakes all around and found that the old brake pads (that were not worn all the way yet) had not been properly installed previously with the brake pad hardware clips and as a result 'slid off' where they belong.
I also found that the previous owner, which was obviously not too careful or mechanically oriented like he tried to be, painted the calipers red but also painted on for the boots on the front caliper causing it to completely sieze and not do its job in helping the pads to release when you take your foot off the pedal.
I would start by checking it right away. Its not too difficult.
i belive i just used a 17mm and 14mm socket for complete dismantle of the calipers/rotors