IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Weird noise comming from under car during acceleration/RPM in drive/neutral

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-17, 09:48 PM
ClubLyfe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Weird noise comming from under car during acceleration/RPM in drive/neutral

Hello all id like to start off by thanking you for taking the time to help me with my issue. I started hearing this weird sound comming from under the car as i drive and i can not for the life of me figure out what the hell it is. It sounds like a wind up toy car when you pull it back to tighten the spring before you launch it. Or something of that sort. It gets faster the faster i accelerate. Like its keeping up with the RPMS. It may be something as simple as a exaust leak on the headers but im not to sure. Its very prominent when im driving through a neighborhood and can hear the sound bounce off the other cars. Its just a really weird sound i wish i could show you. I know this isnt much to go off of but its all i can explain. Thank you again. Any and all advice/ personal stories will help.
Old 09-20-17, 05:37 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Does it really follow the engine RPM's or does it actually follow the speed of the car. It makes a big difference in diagnosing this. If it follows the RPM's, you should be able to hear it while stopped and you have someone rev the engine for you while you listen closer under the car. If it follows the speed of the car, I'd suspect a few things: 1. wheel bearing: You can jack the car up and see if you can wobble a wheel. I had a bad bearing (different car) and still couldn't wobble so be cautious using this technique.
2. bad CV joint/half-axel: look at the boots and under the car for grease spray. These are pretty obvious when you see them.
3: differential: When was the last time the oil was changed? Could be low/burned.

If it's following RPM's, could be an exhaust leak or bad water pump.
The following users liked this post:
ClubLyfe (09-21-17)
Old 09-21-17, 01:37 PM
ClubLyfe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It follows the RPM. I believe its an exaust leak.
Old 09-23-17, 11:13 AM
01MSMSXE10
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ClubLyfe
Hello all id like to start off by thanking you for taking the time to help me with my issue. I started hearing this weird sound comming from under the car as i drive and i can not for the life of me figure out what the hell it is. It sounds like a wind up toy car when you pull it back to tighten the spring before you launch it. Or something of that sort. It gets faster the faster i accelerate. Like its keeping up with the RPMS. It may be something as simple as a exaust leak on the headers but im not to sure. Its very prominent when im driving through a neighborhood and can hear the sound bounce off the other cars. Its just a really weird sound i wish i could show you. I know this isnt much to go off of but its all i can explain. Thank you again. Any and all advice/ personal stories will help.

anyway you can film it and upload video to youtube or to clublexus? It'll give everyone a better idea.