IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Strange Knocking

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-17, 11:55 AM
Ohoopee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Knocking

Since I have owned my IS 200, it has always had a rattle under the hood...it seems to be coming from the fly wheel powering the belt...but yesterday a strange knock appeared. Listen to my engine running in the video in the following link and ignore the loud rattle that has always been there. In the background you can hear the low knocking. The knocking appears to be coming from the bottom side of my engine. Any ideas what this is? The car has suffered no lose in Power or anything like that..still drives great, just with this noise.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...XJLVU5EZ2RPVkE
Old 07-16-17, 07:09 PM
suprababy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you swap the engine? check your torque bolts
Old 07-17-17, 03:18 AM
Ohoopee
Driver School Candidate

Nope, still has the orignal motor. A friend of mine said it sounds like a the bearing in the drive shaft to him.
Old 07-17-17, 06:06 AM
Ohoopee
Driver School Candidate

I just stopped in at a garage to get his opinion. He was stumpted as well, said "That's a strange one" He doesn't think it is anythng too serious. He said his opinion right now is that it is a pump that is stuck he just isn't sure which one. He said it sounds like a pump coming on and off over and over. He wants me to bring it back to him on Saturday and he is going to take the belt off of it and see if running the engine without the belts and see if that affects the noise.
Old 09-01-17, 06:40 AM
Ohoopee
Driver School Candidate

So the source of the knock heard in the video has been found and fixed. I was incrediably lucky. Eight months ago, I personally replaced the timing belt on this car....there was a fault in the belt apparently, it was coming apart, peeling from the edge of the belt like a bananna. Me and a buddy of mine started taking a few things off the car, just so we could try to pin point better where the noice might be coming from...I had myself convinced it was the big end bearing making the noise but I watned to eliminate a few things...as soon as I removed the breathing tub and got to wear I could see the timing belt well...I was shocked...most of it was gone and only a small piece remained between me and a ruined engine. I had picked the belt and tensioner up cheap...which I will never do again...the knocking was part of the timing belt, which was pealing like a bananna...part of it was hainging off the side and banging against part fo the engine as it turned...I replaced the timing belt and the tensioner..this time not getting the cheap ones...and it engine is purring like a kitten...first time I have ever had this happen in my life but wow...I feel like going to church and praying...if that crappy belt would have broke....it would have been the end.