IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

If my clutch is going bad, can I still practice manual?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-17, 02:05 PM
Jennyxlove
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If my clutch is going bad, can I still practice manual?

So I just bought A used Lexus is300, I'm learning how to drive manual and I'm not doing terrible but some things have happened, like accidentally riding the clutch, revving too much at some points while trying to take off and not having it fully engaged, I'm working on it though. My friend was driving and threw it into 5th and then put the pedal to the floor. After, it smelt like straight up clutch and he said that's how you can tell if the clutch is bad so we bought a new one and I'm awaiting its arrival. Before he did that, I never smelt that when practicing. So, I continue to practice and I still smell it days later and now my throw out bearing is squealing, which I also never heard before my friend did that to my car. The clutch hasn't been replaced to my knowledge since 2005, with around 150k miles on it, so I'm fine with getting a new one but now my friend says I shouldn't practice in case it goes. But also says we have to break in the new clutch so I can't practice on it until that's done either. I'm annoyed. I got this wonderful car and now I can't practice or drive it?! Is that true? Should I not practice since the clutch is going bad? I really want to but now I'm worried!

The engagement point is super high, but for a Lexus is300 I've read it's usually pretty high up and I think that's why I'm having trouble learning with this car, because when I practiced on my friends 240 I was much better.

The new clutch is SPEC STAGE 1. Will I wear the clutch learning on it after install? Will the engagement point change?
Old 05-09-17, 10:35 AM
AdamP
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get rid of the clutch dampening device (CDD) and replace it. If you want a pretty one Figs makes them. Its meant for people who cant drive a stick but it burns your clutch up as well. The bigger black one is the oem/stock one.
Attached Thumbnails If my clutch is going bad, can I still practice manual?-cdd-pic1.jpg   If my clutch is going bad, can I still practice manual?-cdd_un-hooked.jpg  

Last edited by AdamP; 05-09-17 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-10-17, 11:52 PM
Goopi
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Figs clutch damper device delete is worth it, and will save the lifespan of your clutch (unless you're the type that really should be driving an auto, lol-jk).

For $30 you can't go wrong with installing one of the pieces that delete the factory damper.