IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Headunit CD malfunction - could it be wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-17, 07:25 PM
Alex94563
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headunit CD malfunction - could it be wiring?

Summary: CD changer failed, had 2 replacement headunits with same problem, then original headunit worked again. Could it be a problem with the wiring harness?

Long version:

About 6 months ago the CD changer in my '04 stopped working. The failure started by failing to accept a new disc after I ejected an old one, until one by one all my CDs were ejected and it wouldn't accept any discs. When I hit the "Load" button, it just wouldn't respond, no error code, nothing. If I held the "Load" button down for a long time it would give a short beep, but nothing else.

Tried pulling / replacing the fuse and disconnecting the battery in hopes it might reset, but no such luck.

Drove it without using the CD player for a while, just using radio and listening to stuff off my phone through a tape adapter (unsatisfactory, as phone calls & incoming messages interrupt the music or podcast). Even did the ghetto Discman-through-tape-adapter thing on occasion, but that gets old quickly.

Found a used IS headunit off eBay and installed it a couple months ago, but that one had the same problem -- wouldn't respond to the CD Load button at all. So I returned it. Then found another used headunit off eBay, which the seller claimed was fully functional when pulled, installed it -- and had the same exact problem. Now very frustrated, I started thinking that maybe there was something wrong with the wiring harness. Jiggled the harness around, but the new replacement still wouldn't take a disc. So I figured I had to return this new one too.

Before reinstalling my original headunit, I jiggled the wiring harness around a little more, just in case. When I reconnected my old headunit, I heard some noise that sounded like the changer mechanism motors functioning. So after hooking it up I hit the load button, and it accepted a CD and played it. Loaded a second CD and that one played too, and I could actually switch between them.

I don't know whether my wire-jiggling had any effect or if my headunit just finally reset itself -- I can't think off the top of my head why a faulty wire or connection would cause the CD changer to malfunction, since they should all either just be power or signal wires and a bad wire or connection would seemingly cause other problems besides just the CD changer. But the odds of 3 headunits all having the same exact problem seem low too, so checking with the forum to see if others have encountered anything similar, and if you ever found a fix.

Last edited by Alex94563; 04-20-17 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-20-17, 09:37 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Very simple fix....Go aftermarket!!! May not be a factory unit out there with the CD changer still working. VERY common issue.... Usually get approx 5-8 years, depending on how much you used it of course, before the CD changer stopped functioning properly.
And no wiring controls the CD changer and I promise you wiggling the harness had zero effect on anything. Unplugging the radio/ changer reset the unit and it may possibly work for a time or 2 and that's it.
Go aftermarket, you won't regret it! Much more up to date functions and features.

V..
Old 06-01-17, 07:12 AM
nanuburnet
Driver School Candidate

hi i have the same problem, i couldn't find anything have being looking for years no.
my only problem is i like the stock head unit and dont want to change to aftermarket. after reading this i think i may just have to get one(
Old 06-01-17, 10:11 AM
IcyBishop
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

The head unit is probably the only "bad" thing I've found about the IS. They are very erratic until they just stop working altogether. Luckily, the car is old enough to where putting in an aftermarket unit is easy and doesn't require dash surgery.

Get the faceplate kit, any head unit of your liking, and the harness to utilize the stock amp and you'll be happy (and it will sound 10x better!).
Old 06-26-17, 06:18 PM
TCSteidel
Driver School Candidate

Just read this thread after posting my CD Changer problem. Mine quit suddenly, flashing an "Error 4" message on the display. The manual says, 'take it to the dealer', but we all know that's an expensive proposition. My biggest concern is this: I now have four CDs yet inside the changer, with no apparent way to retrieve them without utterly destroying the changer. Is that my only option? Those four CDs have real sentimental value for me, and I'd destroy the changer to get them back, if that's what I must do. Any suggestions???
Old 06-28-17, 06:57 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

While I have no experience with the head unit in these cars, I do have a lot of experience with CD changers/players and problems with them. All changers have rubber wheels/belts that over time lose their elasticity. I have repaired hundreds of CD players/changers that were completely nonworking by replacing $3-5 worth of rubber in them. Also there are micro switches that are used to determine position of the mechanism when things are being loaded/unloaded. These too can go bad over time and a simple ohm-meter will confirm if they are still good.

These changers you guys are talking about are as much as 13 years old and sitting is the most extreme environment a piece of electronics can be in., I would suggest to you that you take the unit to a repair shop or get brave and open it up your self and check for belts/rubber that has gone soft. A few hours and you may be back on the mend.
The following users liked this post:
TCSteidel (06-29-17)
Old 06-30-17, 12:10 AM
nanuburnet
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jr4div2
While I have no experience with the head unit in these cars, I do have a lot of experience with CD changers/players and problems with them. All changers have rubber wheels/belts that over time lose their elasticity. I have repaired hundreds of CD players/changers that were completely nonworking by replacing $3-5 worth of rubber in them. Also there are micro switches that are used to determine position of the mechanism when things are being loaded/unloaded. These too can go bad over time and a simple ohm-meter will confirm if they are still good.

These changers you guys are talking about are as much as 13 years old and sitting is the most extreme environment a piece of electronics can be in., I would suggest to you that you take the unit to a repair shop or get brave and open it up your self and check for belts/rubber that has gone soft. A few hours and you may be back on the mend.
that sounds good i might give that a go before i commit to an aftermarket radio
Old 03-25-18, 01:56 PM
Far008
Driver School Candidate

Default My ML dvd system not working

today when I tried to play dvd nothing happed and after a while it moved to HDD by itself , my aux is working , HDD songs working , radio is working but dvd is not working , if I press eject button nothing happens and same thing with the Load button and no green light turns on , there are 6 DVDs inside the unit ... please help , thanx in advance
Old 03-27-18, 05:27 PM
TCSteidel
Driver School Candidate

In my experience, you have three options: 1) buy a used Lexus head unit on eBay and hope for the best, 2) try to open and repair your head unit yourself, as suggested by jr4div2 above, or 3) take the easier, more certain path to success by buying an aftermarket unit from someone like Crutchfield. I tried #2 without success, though I was able to retrieve my 4 discs held captive by my inoperative head unit. I then purchased an aftermarket unit, and have never looked back!

Last edited by TCSteidel; 03-27-18 at 05:28 PM. Reason: clarify response