IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

NA Supra Engine/Trans Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-17, 07:14 AM
Noble713
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NA Supra Engine/Trans Swap?

Greetings everyone. New member here. Been living in Japan for the past 5 1/2 years. A while back I picked up a late-92 Supra (93 model year) for dirt cheap. 2JZ-GE w/ factory W58 transmission.

Just this week I found someone selling a ~600hp 2JZ-GTE-swapped Toyota Altezza with a Mk3 Supra's R154 transmission. The car has been sitting for years without running. My plan is to pull the full drivetrain and stuff it in my Mk4 Supra. Originally I was just gonna junk the Altezza but the car has a nice body kit, wheels, sound system, etc.....so now I'm considering putting it together to either keep or sell. So my questions are:

1. The car has already been modded to support the 2JZ engine, but if I'm going from an R154 trans to a W58, some things will change, correct? Are there USDM mounting kits for the W58 in this chassis?
2. If I get a USDM IS300 MT ECU, will that be fairly plug-and-play? Keep in my 2JZ-GE has a distributor. I dunno if USDM IS300's had that.
3. The Altezza also has the Supra 4-pot brakes, which I'll be pulling. Are there any major issues with mounting the stock Supra sliding calipers on the IS?

Any other show-stoppers I should be aware of? Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails NA Supra Engine/Trans Swap?-rear_view.jpg   NA Supra Engine/Trans Swap?-img_0104.jpg  
Old 01-09-17, 05:17 AM
Syan48306
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Why don't you just throw the GE Supra engine into the Altezza?
Old 01-09-17, 05:39 AM
Noble713
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Syan48306
Why don't you just throw the GE Supra engine into the Altezza?
Sorry, looking at my post it may not have been clear, but yes that is the plan. So to summarize:

MkIV Supra: 2JZ-GE non-VVTi w/W58 + stock ECU ----> 2JZ-GTE non-VVTi w/R154 + AEM ECU. Keep this car as my fun toy.
Altezza: 2JZ-GTE non-VVTi w/R154 + AEM ----> 2JZ-GE non-VVTi w/W58 + ??? ECU. Possibly keep this car but much more likely to just sell it (I already have a faster and more reliable daily driver...don't have space for 3 Toyota performance cars anyway).

Getting the Supra working will be pretty straight forward, but I have very little clue what I need to get the Altezza sorted decently enough, as cheaply as possible, to sell it. Driveshafts, transmission mounting, ECU, etc......I have a thread on my.is and I've gotten some guidance there, including:
-W55 and W58 should use the same driveshaft so a USDM W55 IS300 driveshaft should work.
-consider using 2 ECUs: one to control the engine and one to control all the chassis features. Figuring out what wires to what might be a time-consuming headache, but cheaper (dollar-wise) than getting another standalone for the Altezza.
Old 07-04-17, 04:48 AM
Noble713
Driver School Candidate

Ok, bit of an update.....

The Altezza how has:
-Supra 2JZ-GE non-VVTi
-Supra W58
-Supra 2JZ-GE non-VVTi ECU

Plus some other minor changes (Recaro SR3 seats added, all the Defi and Greddy gauges pulled out for the Supra). So the 2JZ-GE harness has 5 plugs coming from it: the 3 yellow ones for the ECU, a grey one, and an orange one. Based off of this site (here), I think I can just plug the yellow ones into the ECU, and figure out how to match up the grey/orange plugs to the chassis harness. I've also got the IS300 service manual which describes the wiring harness junction block layouts.....

Here she is parked next to my daily driver Mark II iR-V. She's looking a little forlorn LOL. Still needs a custom driveshaft, new exhaust, etc.....Also this week I'm gonna pick up a full caliper/rotor set from a Toyota Celsior (USDM LS400). So the Altezza should still have nice brakes even after I return her TT Supra 4-pots to their proper home.
JDM Altezza w/ '93 Supra 2JZ-GE/W58
JDM Mark II iR-V Fortuna Yamaha Power (1JZ-GTE/ AT)
Recaro SR3s from friend's wrecked Honda Integra DC5 Type-R

Altezza engine bay desperately needs some TLC
....but the Supra is MUCH happier ^_^ ....even with that Altezza icon on the engine

Last edited by Noble713; 07-04-17 at 04:52 AM.