IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Need advice on Parting out my '02, 5-speed, Black on Black ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-16, 11:53 PM
Mkclass55
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on Parting out my '02, 5-speed, Black on Black ??

I am in possession of a 2002 Lexus IS300 that I'm not quite sure which direction to go with it. The car originally belonged to a lifelong friend of mine. Unfortunately in April this year he was sentenced to serve out the remaining 6 years of his prior sentence. On account of being best childhood friends, and the certainty of being incarcerated for the next 6 years, he told me that he wanted me to have and enjoy his car that we had both had many adventures in. It was mine to be had, and done with however I saw fit. He told me where the car was located and for me to tow it to my shop and away from the girls house he had been staying at. He told me that his Mother had the title at her house in her safe, but if she gave me any problems, to come to the jail with the paper work and he would sign power of attorney over to me where as I could request a duplicate.. More distressed over losing my best friend than gaining a car, I waited several months to even uncover the car to look at it much less redoing paperwork and such. I finally decided it was time to get things going just to find out that, since then he has been shipped out of the state for the remainder of his time, and His mother who helped to raise me too, in grief, has told me she wouldn't dare hand me the title, basically blaming the loss of her son and the commitment of his crimes on me.

So on account of the aforementioned and the fact I just lost my driving privileges for a year I can see no option besides to sell the car. Like everyone these days I have more financial responsibilities than I ever like to think about so it seems only fitting to go whatever route brings me the most money. The absolute only thing wrong with the car was a leaking headgasket. Since its came into my possession someone has stolen the battery and the wheels off of it along with other things from my shop while I was vacationing with family. I am a car enthusiasts and really do love this car. Especially with as popular the Black/Black 5 speed is, and as few of them that was made, it hurt my heart to even consder neutering it down to nothing. I know that several people could benefit from different parts from the car, as well as, someone being able to do a long saugt after AT -> MT swap, and that I could probably make more $ myself selling it in pieces as opposed to complete. It has been an internal conflict of kine for sometime now, but its came to the point where I have to do something with it one way or another.

That leads me to here, after much research on the topic, I figured this forum would be just the place to possibly get an answer to my troubles from like minded car lovers..

I appreciate all and any advice or comments. Thank you for taking the time to hear my story out.
Old 10-09-16, 10:33 AM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

I only see 2 possible actions you can do due to the fact that his mother still has the title:

-You can tow it back to her, and say "here's your son's car" and let her deal with it
-You can hold onto it until your friend gets out of jail.

If you were to sell the car, or part it out, his mother can sue you in civil court and it's a guaranteed win. In addition to that, by parting out a car you don't own, it's treated by the legal system as selling stolen goods. And because it's a car, it's automatically a felony.

My suggestion is to ready the car for long term storage at your shop. That way, in the future if the law ever comes looking for it, you can just point it out and say "take it"
Old 11-02-16, 03:43 AM
tonynca
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow.... could you try to just stay out of trouble man? Selling a car you don't have a title to is like asking to join your friend in prison. It doesn't matter what your friend says, the car's title is not under your name. Move on with your life and stay the f out of trouble. Money can be made, time can't be.