Not Ready/Failed Smog Check

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-16, 09:39 AM
loshengy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not Ready/Failed Smog Check

Hello everyone,

I am not an expert when it comes to cars. I own a 04 IS300. Took it to smog but it was not ready due to the Evap monitors not being ready. Tech advise to drive around for a few days&bring it back. Did as he ask. Took it back after a week; right when he was about to run the smog test the 2nd time(it was ready according to the tech); the tech notice the check engine light on. Per the tech, if he runs the smog, it will fail. So he did not run the smog the 2nd time. I would like to know, is the 'not ready' result Consider as a 'fail' smog? I am getting different answers.. Please help?

&the other thing, reason why the evap monitor wasnt ready the first time was due to us deleting the code. Kind of figure.. But; we already know the issue of the car. Its due to a small oil leak(dont remember the code).
Old 01-24-16, 05:35 PM
driftaway
Driver School Candidate

Im not sure about your state, but in Texas vehicles 2001 and newer, are allowed one "not ready" on the emission parameters status and still be able to pass.

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi.../ready_not.htm

I see your from Cali? which might be strict on emissions.

What Evap code did you have exactly? I just fixed one of my Evap codes, i might be able to help.
Old 03-08-16, 11:36 PM
soulsoarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by loshengy
Hello everyone,

I am not an expert when it comes to cars. I own a 04 IS300. Took it to smog but it was not ready due to the Evap monitors not being ready. Tech advise to drive around for a few days&bring it back. Did as he ask. Took it back after a week; right when he was about to run the smog test the 2nd time(it was ready according to the tech); the tech notice the check engine light on. Per the tech, if he runs the smog, it will fail. So he did not run the smog the 2nd time. I would like to know, is the 'not ready' result Consider as a 'fail' smog? I am getting different answers.. Please help?

&the other thing, reason why the evap monitor wasnt ready the first time was due to us deleting the code. Kind of figure.. But; we already know the issue of the car. Its due to a small oil leak(dont remember the code).

I believe if you have a check engine light on it is an automatic fail. You need to get that engine light issues resolve. As for the not ready, did you unplug the car battery before then? I did that to my 02 Corolla and it took about two weeks of driving before my onboard computer got the data it needed to be ready for smog. I did a lot of freeway miles with it so maybe if you did more regular street driving it would be ready sooner. However I don't know if that has anything to do with your engine light. That might be a new issue.