IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

New Owner and SportDesign and Bushing Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-15, 12:24 PM
beer
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New Owner and SportDesign and Bushing Question

Hello all! I just picked up a manual 04 sportdesign with 109k on the odo and am super excited (obligatory pic below).

The guy did tell me how 'rare' it is to find a manual sportdesign IS and claimed he or I may never see another manual, sportdesign again. Is this true? I don't really care about the rarity, I just want to know what the truth is.

Overall its in good condition. I don't think the dealer bled the clutch line after installing the new clutch, but that's an easy fix..

I have one last question pertaining to some bushings. When I let out the clutch, the car will sometimes rock forward and backward. I think its safe to assume some of the bushings are shot in the front (and probably in the rear as well). Which ones are good to start with replacing? I want to put all poly bushings in the car. I see a lot of different options on FIGS.

Last but not least, here is the car:

Old 12-29-15, 12:08 PM
beer
Rookie

no one? i guess i will start buying bushings and figure it out then!
Old 12-30-15, 08:43 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

congrats on the sportdesign, and yes I do believe that is a rare combination especially in white. Rocking when you let out the clutch usually point to bad engine and trans mounts and I'd start there.
Old 12-30-15, 10:05 AM
beer
Rookie

white? to my understanding the only color offered in 04 sportdesign trim was 'alabaster metallic'.

the interior has white bits in it though!

thank you for the suggestion. I will certainly look into the new engine and tranny mounts. hopefully I can find poly ones. I also have a stainless clutch line and clutch damper delete on the way. I have to bleed it, so I figured id upgrade while im at it.
Old 01-12-16, 01:18 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by beer
white? to my understanding the only color offered in 04 sportdesign trim was 'alabaster metallic'.

the interior has white bits in it though!

thank you for the suggestion. I will certainly look into the new engine and tranny mounts. hopefully I can find poly ones. I also have a stainless clutch line and clutch damper delete on the way. I have to bleed it, so I figured id upgrade while im at it.
I don't have the best color distinction. the pic looked white. How are the upgrades and repairs coming along?
Old 01-12-16, 04:03 PM
Mister2jge
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@beer

I believe what the guy at the dealership meant that its rare because of the fact that its the last year lexus made that body style and it didnt make many in manual ����

Got one too! Hehe