I am thinking of getting into an IS for daily/track days/autoX

Old 06-15-14, 02:27 PM
AZRic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am thinking of getting into an IS for daily/track days/autoX

Hi.
This is my first post here.

I've been with the SCCA for 8 years. I was a Chief of Tech for several of those years and am still a "3 year" safety steward. In 2 more years, I can teach it

I'm an old man (47) wanting to race something a bit more comfy. Well, it will need to split duties with street use too.

I've almost always raced RWD. I've been doing SCCA Solo for about 8 years and Time Attack/Trackdays for about 5 years. Before that, I spent a lot of time doing dirt road/sand roads in Georgia, Carolinas, Arizona and Texas in a Ford Ranger learning the arts of feinting. I watched a lot of rally racing in those days. Truth... I only use the side brake to add angle... not that I claim I'm a drifter, but that learning oversteer is a significant advantage in track days. I go to drift events to learn how to oversteer to keep the spooks away when the car steps out at speed.

From there, I did my share of 3 different Toyota AE86 cars, 3 different Nissan S13, and 4 different Mazda Miatas.

I'm Currently in my 4th Miata. A fantastic 94 "c" model setup for STR. This car has kicked so much *** that all asses in Arizona are flat, well... some are.

I have a weird fit. I'm 6' with 30" legs. I need nearly 40" of headroom to fit with a helmet in a closed roof car. Thus, my affinity to the Miata where the top is off most of the time when I'm racing. In S13sI used shaved S14 seats. AE86 has me with no foam - only spring. Miatas have me on the floor wiht a bit of dense foam.. The blue Miata below has me directly on the floor, seriously.

The early years... This truck taught me a lot.

My current car. STR trim. Two trophies. The photographer wanted action. I'm always the last car. This is a benefit to me for being with the club for so long. They like my drifting... and I do stay in the cones.

My last "Hachi". She was exquisite. This was my first real autocross car. She was beautiful.

This was my last S13. SM trophies... a few. She was very fast. 255 tires on all corners. This was a well suspended car using a stock SR20DET at 12psi.

This was my fastest Miata... A few trophies. Good for 135mph before the twitchy autocross alignment scared me into slowing down. 1.6 at 10 psi. So fast.

Between cars, I'd use my daily driver Ranger. I think I've had 8 or 9 over the years.
This was me in a truck dodging cones. There is a vid out there of me bicycling this truck. Never a trophy.

An older truck.

I have seat time. I'm just looking for a car that can fit me and still have some community support left in it's chassis.

I want an IS 300. I will fit. It has it's pluses, but it seems the racing boat for this platform has sailed.

Am I wrong.
Old 06-28-14, 08:05 AM
SixD7
Driver School Candidate

We're basically the same age and size, give or take. I have a couple days at the track but no real track/racing experience like you do. I am however an enthusiast and love driving. I've had M3, 350Z, 370Z, mustang GT, Roush Mustang and the list goes on.

I've been driving an is300 MT for a year and half which is a long time for me. I have no plans of selling because I really don't see a replacement for its cost, performance, comfort and low maintenance.

Although the racing boat on the is300 may have sailed you can't go wrong with a well appointed clean 5 speed.
Old 06-30-14, 06:28 PM
AZRic
Driver School Candidate

Thanks.
Where in AZ are you?
Old 08-11-14, 10:43 PM
SixD7
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for delay but I'm in North Scottsdale/Phoenix area. You?
Old 08-28-14, 12:17 PM
knshro13
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

You've been in compact rwd coupes for the most part. I have a beat to death ae86 and a scion frs. I also own a manual is300. In fact, two of them. The is300 is a serious boat compared to those cars you've been driving. It will feel sluggish, heavy, and unresponsive without some serious footwork. It's a perfect daily with a little bit of spice though.

With that said, if you still want a manual is, I'm selling one of mine
Old 10-14-14, 08:14 PM
twinzdad07
Driver School Candidate

true that, the IS 300 is a landboat but a nice looking one albeit the lack of juice