IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

2JZ-GTE Swap Info - Gathering information

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-12, 11:56 AM
T67Powered
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2JZ-GTE Swap Info - Gathering information

I am currently about have my EVO 8 sold. I have a few options after I sell it, and I am curious to know what the prices are for what I want, and fitment. So I will do my best to go into the detail of my plans, and lets hope a few of you on here will be able to answer my questions, I looked through the forums, and only found a few things, so lets get started.

What I want to be accomplished:

Lexus Is300 With 2JZGTE Swap Stock for now.

1.) Does the stock 2JZ_GTE rear sump motor into into the IS300 without issues?
2.) As for motor mounts MKIV mounts are to be used?
2.5) The wiring into the dash to make gauges work, FP to the ECU etc, are their diagrams located on the forum or are there jumper harnesses etc.
3.) Wiring? Are there any security ( like to the start circuit I must be aware of )
4.) If I have a 6-speed wiring harness is it easier to hook up, or should I use the auto harness and be fine?
5.) For a transmission do people use the R-154 with success, or would it be better to go with the V-160, of course I know this is a almost 4K transmission.
6.) Does the drive shaft have to be modded to fit the R154 or V160, if I keep the stock W58 ( i think it is or is it the w55? ) is that goign to hold together, or will the torque kill the transmission
If there are any crucial details I am missing please let me know.
Old 10-26-12, 11:35 AM
T67Powered
Driver School Candidate

Any links or anything?
Old 10-26-12, 06:08 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

First off, don't do a swap, just build the factory GE motor...

Just by doing that, you have fixed ALL of your wiring issues. To control the larger injectors you undoubtedly will want to run, go with an AEM EMS piggybacked over the stock computer.

1.) Does the stock 2JZ_GTE rear sump motor into into the IS300 without issues?

A: nope, has to be a front sump oil pan, same as GS300 or Aristo

2.) As for motor mounts MKIV mounts are to be used?

Nope, stock IS300 motor mounts

2.5) The wiring into the dash to make gauges work, FP to the ECU etc, are their diagrams located on the forum or are there jumper harnesses etc.

You won't get all of the gauges to work with a ECU swap - our instrument clusters talk to the factory ECU with a serial data stream. No other ECU will mimic this, though I do believe some of the gauges can be made to work with some serious rewiring

3.) Wiring? Are there any security ( like to the start circuit I must be aware of )

If you get rid of the factory ECU, there will definitely be some serious wiring challenges, though the security will be disabled

4.) If I have a 6-speed wiring harness is it easier to hook up, or should I use the auto harness and be fine?

If you do end up with a swap, use whatever comes with the engine...

5.) For a transmission do people use the R-154 with success, or would it be better to go with the V-160, of course I know this is a almost 4K transmission.

Both work fine, though the R-154 shifts like a dump truck, IMO... the V160 is amazing, but, the gears will be so short with our tall rear end gears that 1st gear becomes even more useless than it currently is... If you could source a V161, this would be better... If you do go V160, it is recommended to mod the rear end of the car to accept a Supra rear differential - it does NOT bolt in

6.) Does the drive shaft have to be modded to fit the R154 or V160, if I keep the stock W58 ( i think it is or is it the w55? ) is that goign to hold together, or will the torque kill the transmission

Don't know which driveshaft is needed, but it will be different for sure. The stock W55 will literally be overcome by a turbo motor'd car pretty quickly... 300ish is generally the reliability limit...

My car is a built GE (with GTE rods / pistons), factory ECU is in place controlling drive by wire, cruise control, dash gauges, security, and transmission, with the AEM EMS controlling all of the engine controls. I added a fuel return and a Deatschwerks fuel pump, so it is now a return style system with 660cc injectors. It literally drives like a stock turbo car that makes around 320 at the wheels on 6 psi through FACTORY exhaust. With the cutout open and 8 psi, it is probably a good 40-60 hp more than that, through the factory auto transmission, that has only had a secondary cooler added to it.

Using GTE pistons and rods, GE VVTI head and GTE headgasket, compression is around 8.8:1, give or take, I get 175 psi across all 6 cylinders. The car is quite the little monster. I am only waiting on building the transmission to be able to up the boost and make serious power...
Old 10-26-12, 06:11 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hopefully you aren't selling the EVO 8 with dreams of making a IS300 faster for cheaper...

Tuned a buddies Evo9 on stock turbo, made 440 at the wheels... It is more costly to build a IS300 to the same power level, for sure...
Old 10-28-12, 06:25 PM
T67Powered
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Hopefully you aren't selling the EVO 8 with dreams of making a IS300 faster for cheaper...

Tuned a buddies Evo9 on stock turbo, made 440 at the wheels... It is more costly to build a IS300 to the same power level, for sure...
Both fo you thank you very much. I want to do this research before I go crazy and get into something I regret. I understand the EVO for the money makes great power, I just don't want to own the car anymore. I am a Toyota Guy by nature, iv had my far share of Supras now and I wanted to see what the lexus could provide me with.