IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Carbon Fiber Under Hood Pieces. No More Plastic!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-02, 12:40 PM
Turbo'd_Wxman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Under Hood Pieces. No More Plastic!!! **UPDATED w/ PICS**

Ok guys, I have been talking with Parker at IPT Dashkits a bit over the last month about carbon fiber pieces to replace the plastic under hood pieces. He is very interested in the idea and I thought I would pass some information along about the kit. They would sell an entire carbon fiber kit that would replace all the plastic pieces in the engine compartment and then a carbon fiber kit that replaces just the large center engine cover. This is real carbon fiber not fiberglass overlay. They would use the stock pieces to make the mold and then use those molds to make the parts. These pieces obviously will withstand the heat of the engine. This is JP style carbon fiber, so that plastic look under the hood will be CYA!!!

Anyway, would you be interested in purchasing these pieces? I know I am the first in line, so there is one yes. Post what you think. Also, do you like colored or normal black-grey carbon fiber.

Last edited by Turbo'd_Wxman; 10-05-02 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-12-02, 05:06 PM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im interested. of course it all depends on which parts and price. but sounds good, as long as its not just some pieces that just lay on top of the stock pieces.
Old 09-12-02, 06:44 PM
Turbo'd_Wxman
Pole Position

Originally posted by baadhabit
im interested. of course it all depends on which parts and price. but sounds good, as long as its not just some pieces that just lay on top of the stock pieces.
They are complete replacements for the stock pieces. This is not the sticky junk, but the real thing made of the same carbon fiber used on F1 cars.
Old 09-13-02, 10:56 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds good. just waiting for pics.
Old 09-13-02, 12:48 PM
Turbo'd_Wxman
Pole Position

Ok, it looks like the interest is huge just like I was thinking. To answer everyone's questions, let me start off by saying the initial delivery will likely sell out fast, so we may pre-order once we get the first items. This will likely occur within the next 2 weeks.

Second the pricing still needs to be worked out. Parker and I have spoken a bit about this and I am sure you guys have an idea that this is not going to be a dirt cheap mod since we are completely replacing the plastic pieces. However, most of you know that this is simply essential if you want your engine bay to look customized. The plastic just doesn't cut it. The dash kits typically are $200 or so and they are stick on, so you can imagine this is definately going to cost more. The engine cover in F1 carbon fiber is likely going to be in the $300 range. I am not sure what the exact price is, but I will attempt to call Parker tomorrow to firm this up. As for the rest of the pieces, I would imagine it shouldn't be more than about $300 or less for the remainder. Anyway, I have noticed even with my turbo setup, the plastic just ruins the look and I need more. The second we get the pieces, we will post the pics and likely begin the pre-order.

Remember you will also be able to get the carbon fiber colored to match your car as well if you are interested. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 09-13-02, 01:30 PM
IS_Dude
Driver

Originally posted by Turbo'd_Wxman
Ok, it looks like the interest is huge just like I was thinking. To answer everyone's questions, let me start off by saying the initial delivery will likely sell out fast, so we may pre-order once we get the first items. This will likely occur within the next 2 weeks.

Second the pricing still needs to be worked out. Parker and I have spoken a bit about this and I am sure you guys have an idea that this is not going to be a dirt cheap mod since we are completely replacing the plastic pieces. However, most of you know that this is simply essential if you want your engine bay to look customized. The plastic just doesn't cut it. The dash kits typically are $200 or so and they are stick on, so you can imagine this is definately going to cost more. The engine cover in F1 carbon fiber is likely going to be in the $300 range. I am not sure what the exact price is, but I will attempt to call Parker tomorrow to firm this up. As for the rest of the pieces, I would imagine it shouldn't be more than about $300 or less for the remainder. Anyway, I have noticed even with my turbo setup, the plastic just ruins the look and I need more. The second we get the pieces, we will post the pics and likely begin the pre-order.

Remember you will also be able to get the carbon fiber colored to match your car as well if you are interested. Let me know what you guys think.
First let me say thanks for doing a bunch of work getting this together for something a lot of people want. Good Job Marc.

I'm not trying to nit pick.. really but why all the F1 comments? I'm sure it's not the same grade weave and resin and forming techniques as F1 composites. It would be 10 x the costs.

I'd love to see pics of sample pieces to see how tight the weave is and how glossy/rough the finish is.

Thanks man.
Old 09-13-02, 01:39 PM
Turbo'd_Wxman
Pole Position

Originally posted by IS_Dude

First let me say thanks for doing a bunch of work getting this together for something a lot of people want. Good Job Marc.

I'm not trying to nit pick.. really but why all the F1 comments? I'm sure it's not the same grade weave and resin and forming techniques as F1 composites. It would be 10 x the costs.

I'd love to see pics of sample pieces to see how tight the weave is and how glossy/rough the finish is.

Thanks man.
I will get the pics up in about 2 weeks when the first parts arrive.
Old 09-13-02, 05:05 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

still waiting to hear how you did the lite conversion....
Old 09-14-02, 11:53 AM
Turbo'd_Wxman
Pole Position

Originally posted by EmoDragRacer
still waiting to hear how you did the lite conversion....
Brian, I am working with a company that is spec'ing the lights for me. I am trying to make this a DYI kit without any soldering involved, so it takes a bit of time since traditional bulbs do not work very well. Once I get my car back, I can finish the project and release the kit. It should be finished hopefully fairly soon. Sorry for the delay, but with no car, I have no prototype to work on. If you lived closer, I would use your car while mine was gone.

Marc
Old 09-14-02, 12:00 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

sorry I have not called back yet.. I know how you miss me.. LMAO.. jk... yeah get that lite kit done... you got your first buyer right here... any luck with the 6spd tranny? also I put together my new Turbko kit... all the parts I hope will be here this upcomin week and half the install will be done on thurs nite or fri morn..
Old 09-16-02, 04:36 PM
Lexus Collector
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Carbon Fiber Engine Cover

I think a carbon fiber engine cover would be just what my '02 Lexus IS300 needs to be different and to add a touch of class (as if a Lexus doesn't already have that) under the hood. It would be a very nice dress up. I like the idea of both plain and colored carbon fiber. Plain carbon fiber looks great on black cars, because it doesn't stand out as much, but I have a Platinum Millenium Silver job on mine, and I think midnight blue would be the perfect color for my IS300
Old 09-16-02, 08:12 PM
Turbo'd_Wxman
Pole Position

Default Re: Carbon Fiber Engine Cover

Originally posted by Lexus Collector
I think a carbon fiber engine cover would be just what my '02 Lexus IS300 needs to be different and to add a touch of class (as if a Lexus doesn't already have that) under the hood. It would be a very nice dress up. I like the idea of both plain and colored carbon fiber. Plain carbon fiber looks great on black cars, because it doesn't stand out as much, but I have a Platinum Millenium Silver job on mine, and I think midnight blue would be the perfect color for my IS300
If you are interested, just let me know and I will add you to the list. I think we are at like 26 now.
Old 10-05-02, 10:23 PM
Turbo'd_Wxman
Pole Position

Ok, as promised, here are pics of the Carbon Fiber Underhood pieces. The pics are for a Celica, Supra TT, and Civic Si. The IS300 parts arrive October 22, but we wanted you to be able to see the quality of the parts. They look AMAZING and not more plastic!!!!! YA

Celica

Celica#2

Celica#3

CivicSi

SupraTT

Just a recap from IPT regarding the process used to produce these pieces:

Performance.
IPT True Mold is the same composite processing utilized in Formula One Racing. True Mold Composites are lighter than aluminum and pound for pound structurally stronger than steel, optimizing the synergy of strength and performance.

Technology.
"True Mold - Precision Composite Processing"

The IPT True Mold Process guarantees that every product is crafted with
precision using the most advanced composite technologies. True Molded
products use the same carbon fiber prepreg materials used in Formula One racing, making the lightest, strongest composite products available. True Molded products have a toughened epoxy thermo-set resin system that is UV and heat resistant, providing a durable surface finish. Every IPT True Mold product is autoclave processed for maximum structural integrity and finished with a 5 axis CNC trimming for a superior fit and smooth surface texture.

These pieces are obviously high quality and change the look of the engine compartment drastically. Let me know what you guys think!!!
Old 10-15-02, 12:53 AM
03blkis300
Driver School Candidate

Default Wow

I have to say that is QUALITY

you can tell in the pictures. They took alot of time to do this Looks great !!!!

A++++

add me on that list

Thanks
Old 10-16-02, 01:18 PM
Turbo'd_Wxman
Pole Position

Ok here is the preliminary list for clublexus.com:

1. Turbo'd_Wxman
2. 03blkis300

There were a few others interested, but not confirmation. Let me know if you want to be added to the list. At is300.net, the list is near 34 I believe.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Under Hood Pieces. No More Plastic!!!