ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-1st-gen-2001-2005-166/)
-   -   You guys need to make sure you are running premium fuel (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-1st-gen-2001-2005/411955-you-guys-need-to-make-sure-you-are-running-premium-fuel.html)

O. L. T. 02-25-09 12:07 AM

You guys need to make sure you are running premium fuel

I've been trying to burn this tank out of fuel the dealer put in the car for me and I finally did it yesterday. I slapped a tank of 93 in there and went a few miles home. Today I went out and did 100 miles or so and the difference was immediately noticeable.

I have been thinking that this IS was slower than my first IS and couldn't figure out why as I had changed all the filters and reset the ecu. Nothing I did seemed to perk it up. Once I got a chance to get the 93 octane in there this car came alive. Like a whole new engine.

No IS is "fast" without a snail or a blower, but it made a very big difference running the premium through the engine and it confirmed that the dealer cheaped out on me as I suspected when he filled the tank. The car is very peppy, perky, and "quick" now.

Fortunately this is all it took for me to get the "snap" back in the way the car drives, as that is one of the things I missed about my first IS. For comparison, I could go 1/2 throttle off from a red light and the passenger wouldn't even sway when I took off. You know how they never know when you are going to take off so their head dips back just a tad when you move (:D). Never happened in the last 2 weeks running regular gas. Now when I just touch the gas the car "snaps" forward. It's just more peppy in every way.

Soooooo..... anyway, just a reminder.... gas is back cheap so if you were slackin' off during the $4 gas, it's time to love your car again. These engines run like COMPLETE CRAP on regular gas. Premium or nothing, push it! :)

I have never seen an engine more affected by regular unleaded V/S premium than this one. Very picky.

juniorsdad 02-25-09 08:34 AM

wish we had 93 here... the best we got is 91

llllllllll 02-25-09 08:38 AM

Yeah I always run premium. One time I freaking forgot all my money and only had $10 on me and an empty tank... I was soo scared to put $10 in regular fuel in the car, but I did it anyways because it's better to run a couple dollars of ****ty gas than run out completely. :o

=)

But yeah premium all the way, it even says inside the gas cap "PREMIUM UNLEADED FUEL ONLY"

KPC 02-25-09 09:22 AM

I ALWAYS use 93 no matter what...even when gas was almost $5/gallon. I get better gas milage, its better for the engine (cleaner), and it puts some pep in that beautiful engine of ours...Premium fuel FTW!

O. L. T. 02-25-09 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by llllllllll (Post 4288323)
Yeah I always run premium. One time I freaking forgot all my money and only had $10 on me and an empty tank... I was soo scared to put $10 in regular fuel in the car, but I did it anyways because it's better to run a couple dollars of ****ty gas than run out completely. :o

=)

But yeah premium all the way, it even says inside the gas cap "PREMIUM UNLEADED FUEL ONLY"

yeah see I'm not one of the people that care what the gas cap says. I want results and many engines run fine on regular, but this isn't one of them. This engine runs terribly slow if it isn't getting premi.

I feel sorry for the guys in the 91 octane states because this engine blisters of pep on 93 octane. Maybe those guys should keep some octane booster around so they can get a taste of the pep. :)

2002GGPIS3 02-25-09 02:42 PM

Yes there really is a noticable diffrence. Also I miss Sunoco 94 octane, my car really loved it!

is300chris 02-25-09 02:47 PM

i only get 91 :(
i put regular in before to will never to it again. it retards the timing like crazy, and makes it run pig rich. i got soot all over my bumper. i dont got any cats thats why it made it though

3rdelement 02-25-09 05:10 PM

glad you got the pep back in your engine.

here in colorado springs there was one place that sold 93. but when times got tough and gas was 4.25+ they discontinued use.

it was was funny though, on friday and saturday night the 1 93 pump had a 20 car line of hondas and acuras. :) lol.

llllllllll 02-25-09 07:07 PM

The miliary base here has 95 octane.

=)

VinnRock 02-25-09 10:31 PM

gotta run premium, cuz of the VVTI. When i had a integra GSR, i noticed my car wouldnt hit vtec when it was on regular gas. VVTI is simular to vtec but it engages off throttle position instead of a set RPM

Brian231 02-26-09 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by O. L. T. (Post 4288531)
yeah see I'm not one of the people that care what the gas cap says. I want results and many engines run fine on regular, but this isn't one of them. This engine runs terribly slow if it isn't getting premi.

I feel sorry for the guys in the 91 octane states because this engine blisters of pep on 93 octane. Maybe those guys should keep some octane booster around so they can get a taste of the pep. :)

Very true,

My G35 takes regular with premium recommended. If I ran anything below 93 octane (lower octane in high altitude), the car will not perform that great. I have tested this theory on many loaners requiring premium. The 2JZGE needs the higher octane due to the higher compression.

LexusGSXR 03-01-09 07:25 AM

yes.. run premium unleaded.. my car blew up cause the dealership put 87 octane in the car and drove it round and blew it up... yes WTF is the dealership joyriding my car and put the wrong gas in there... ****ing *****.. but, in the end.. the dealership put a new motor and tranny in my car for free.. TEHEHE!

KPC 03-01-09 09:26 AM

So your saying the 87 octane blew your engine and ruined your tranny?...highly doubtful...the lower octane will (or should) run perfectly fine even if the car says "premium only." Of course higher octane is better and cleaner for our engines but the lower octane should not completely ruin it. dont quote me on this but this is how I understand it, correct me if im wrong, when you put a low octane fuel in, the timing of your engine (the spark injection and valves) is advanced (term used to describe the increase in fuel injection and spark because more fuel is needed to produce the same amount of energy when running lower octane)..when you run premium fuel, your timing is retarded (spark and fuel injection decreased) due to the purity of the fuel, thus less fuel is needed to produce the same amount of energy)..its sort of complicated but all in all your ecu will adjust the timing just right for the type of fuel your are using..at any rate, your engine should be just fine...the 2JZGE is a BEAST of an engine.

LexusGSXR 03-01-09 09:46 AM

well they wouldnt explain to me why the #2 rod hit a hole in the block on both side.. i notice they put 87 in there.. and also why the tranny gears got busted.. they wouldnt tell me.. so new motor and tranny went in and everything is fine.. im happy. never going back to that dealership again.

KPC 03-01-09 11:03 AM

hmm..was ur car used before you bought it or previously boosted?...good deal though lol..ide love a new engine and tranny..