IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Tranny Fluid Question? . . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-02, 06:47 PM
N1!
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tranny Fluid Question? . . .

OK folks, my ride has 45K miles now in 1 year. I have had the TRAC update as well as the ECM reprogram, however the vehicle still shifts like crap. Dealership is giving me run around and telling me to drive without the TRAC on but that sounds like a lot of B.S. The TRAC update should have cured it. I am now thinking about changing the tranny fluid, for it has yet to be replaced and there is no schedule per the owners manual.

My questions are:

1. The owners manual recommends Toyota's Automatic Transmission fluid Type T-IV ATF JWS3309 or NWS6500.
What is the difference between these two?

2. The part number I got from a local Toyota dealer is 08886-01705 and he tells me it costs about $30 for 1 liter. Is this a good price?

3. The manual states that our tranny capacity is only 2.5 quarts for ATF, however almost every tech I have spoke to states that I need 4 quarts. Does anyone know how much is actually required to completely drain and refill?

4. Some other tech advised me to actually drop the pan on the tranny and replace the mesh screen and pan gasket rather than simply draining and refilling. Is this true or can I get away with just the drain and refill?

5. If the mesh screen is metal, can't I simply wash and reinstall, rather than replacing it?

6. And finally, has anyone else replaced their tranny fluid and if so how often an interval do you change it, do you stay with OEM fluid or some other brand, and what is a decent price for a simple fluid change.

Thanks a bunch.

N1

Last edited by N1!; 01-03-02 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-04-02, 02:42 AM
lextec
Driver School Candidate

N1! I don't have all the answers for all your questions, but I think I can help.
About the shifting problem that you have, did you or your dealer ever reset the TRAC, trans, engine ECU's memory? This is done by disconnecting your battery for ten minutes & reconnecting it. Remember, your ECU's are 'learning' as you drive. We have done this for several cars & usually all is well thereafter. It's worth a try.

1. I believe the latter part number is a superceded number. In any case, your Lexus dealer will have 'Toyota Type TIV' fluid in stock because most Lexii use this trans fluid. DO NOT USE STANDARD ATF! I can make sure about the part#, just need some time.

2. Price.....I don't know

3. All IS300 transmissions should have a capacity of about 14 quarts. This is TOTAL capacity; torque converter, valve-body, & oil pan. In my opinion, a four quart service is half ***, kinda like changing only 1/3 of your engine oil during an engine oil change. Most shops provide this service out of mere cost vs time vs the customer mentality that he/she has done the transmission service. Four quarts is only what is found in your oil pan, most of your ATF is in the rest of the tranny. In short, do it right or don't do it at all, change ALL your ATF.

4. Once again, drain & refill is half ***. Yes you can remove your oil pan & clean out the mesh screen, but, your still only replacing four quarts! Go to a shop that has a COMPLETE ATF fluid exchange machine i.e.-MOC, T-TECH, etc. This piece of equipment replaces ALL of your fluid during a service, including the ATF that is in the rest of your transmission.

5. Yes & No. Sometimes replacement is the best option. You can't see the complete filter area, thus not allowing you to be certain that you have removed ALL the debris.

6. Yes, I change customer fluids on a daily basis. Your ATF should be changed at least once every 15,000 miles. This also depends on the driving conditions, driving style, etc. Your vehicle, for example, should have had three flushes so far. More severe conditions warrant a more frequent flushing schedule, just like your engine.
We charge $139.95 for this service on most light/luxury cars.

Hope this helps you in your plight for a normal shifting IS300.
Old 01-04-02, 05:00 PM
N1!
Driver School Candidate

Ok, so I stopped by the local Lexus Dealer in Westminster today after work and inquired into the whole tranny fluid issue. Apparantly most dealers recommend a simple drain and refill every 15K miles, cost $69. If you require a more involved powerflush-like service you require 4 gallons of fluid, each gallon about $30 and labor rate of $85.

Funny thing happened after my motor oil change, the vehicle started to shift better. I don't know if this is because of the Mobil 1 or if it was all in my mind or the ambient temp. Our IS seems very tempermental and picky in regards to atmospheric conditions and brand of gas as well.

Also, I found out that my tranny fluid was replaced as part of the 30K service I had done several months ago. Thus, I may get the fluid changed again at 50K miles. In the mean time, I will have them look into my ECM again.

Another nice surprise, I never received a notice for the tire recall, even though my VIN falls within the range. I called Lexus customer service and the **** college interns gave me the runaround. I thought all hope is lost, however, my service advisor, Steve will go to bat and get me an authorization code via a regional rep. The tires are in stock and hopefully by next Wednesday, new tires! I also found out that their prices on 4 wheel alignment has dropped to a more respectable $99, so I will have that done as well.

Finally, has anyone noticed that the escaine portion of the driver's side door is wearing thin due to your elbow constantly resting on there? I don't know what to do about that area. Anyone have a better way of cleaning that area than damp cloth per the owner's manual?