IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Need some IS advice..

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-01, 09:13 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Need some IS advice..

Ok my little brother is looking at moving up to the Lexus family and get rid of his 2000 Accord Coupe V6.. Since you guys have alot more knowledge on this subject I would appreciate if you guys can tell me what he should be looking at option wise on the car.. Anything he should avoid when buying this car.. The one thing that I know for a fact he wants the IS 5-speed version.. I know this car is really new but if anyone already has one and can help then that would be great..

Any colours he should avoid??
Options not worth the money??
Any early problems with the 5-speed??
What is the best aftermarket suspension to buy??

Stuff like that..

Thanks in advance again for any help I can pass along to him!
Old 10-09-01, 06:52 AM
Grey_is300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok heres the scoop on what I think again my .02
Color Stay away from RED!! and Solar YELLOW. big attention grabber. Black is nice grey and green and blue are nice. However if I am not mistaken Lexus does not put a clear coat on the Black cars.
Okl 5 speed it is very new out. I know in Pikes peak at a lexus show the 5 speeds were not holding up too well on the track. This could be different for city driving as well. Again it all depends on what he is gonna do. For a quick launch off of the line autos are great cause you can load the trans and get a good jump.
I have not thought about this too much but if you get a 5 speed it might be easier to upgrade to the supra 6 speed and won't effect the computer too much.

Make suer he gets the limited slip diff. very importsant.

After market parts. they are coming more and more readily available. The first thing anyone does is Air intake and exhaust. THat will run you about $1200.00 Mys sugestions for air intake is SRT.
the next is usually suspension. Many companies out there. I run Protrack coil overs on my car to lower and get a more agressive ride. I also added TRD body stiffners (wow they made a big difference) and TRD sways. all that would run about $2500.00

Then theres the body kit. thats all on personal opinon.

Hope that helps...
Old 10-09-01, 03:04 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Thanks Grey_is300 for your thoughts.. Much appreciated.. My brother and I were looking at the brochure today and he is leaning towards the Graphite Grey or Millenium Silver colour.. We think the aftermarket wheels he has on his Accord V6 will work on the IS so that is a bonus.. I think Friday I will duck out of work early and help him negotiate a deal on one.. Depends what they give him for his car as to if he will be able to afford the IS..

Anyways thanks again for your help!!

Ken
Old 10-09-01, 05:21 PM
Lexus_IS300
Lead Lap

suspension wise, if you're not looking for a costly setup and are not going to adjust the height much, stick with shock/spring setup. it is just as good. i recommend eibach/h&r springs with trd/tokico/bilstein shocks. also consider getting sway bars, it's a world of difference. if your brother is planning on turning this into a project, start with suspension, than brakes, and than power.
Old 10-09-01, 05:47 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

me personally I would either go with JON's setup springs and shocks unless you want to do a race app...

I got the HKS coilovers 37 way adj. dampening... and hieght adj. also...very very nice..
WIN front strut tie bar and 4 peice Cusco rear strut tie bar and trunk brace...
Old 10-09-01, 06:04 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Thanks guys.. After paying for the car he will only have money to just lower the car.. Should he just buy springs and use the stock shocks until they wear out or do it right from the start.. I'm gonna try to negotiate the suspension upgrade in the deal to help him out.. Not sure how much negotiating power I will have with such a new car thou..
Old 10-09-01, 07:56 PM
Lexus_IS300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 2SAVVY
Thanks guys.. After paying for the car he will only have money to just lower the car.. Should he just buy springs and use the stock shocks until they wear out or do it right from the start.. I'm gonna try to negotiate the suspension upgrade in the deal to help him out.. Not sure how much negotiating power I will have with such a new car thou..
i recommend spring/shock. but the eibach pro kits are made to be used with OEM shock, so that would be ok, if your budget does not allow you.