IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Tanabe Racing Medallion vs. Touring Medallion

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-06, 08:47 AM
ford027
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tanabe Racing Medallion vs. Touring Medallion

Last month I purchased a Tanabe Touring medallion exhaust on the internet through SFX Performance parts. I was sent a Tanabe Racing medallion exhaust instead. I did not even see this exhaust on the web site they have. I was wondering if this is an older exhaust that they shipped me because they were out of stock on the touring medallion or what. Also I was wondering if it is as good of an exhaust, or if it costs the same. I like the exhaust but it is louder than the sound clips I heard from the Medallion touring exhaust. Does anyone have this exhaust or now the difference THANKS .
Old 06-27-06, 09:17 AM
juniorsdad
Lead Lap

the racing medallion is one of the loudest exhausts out there...
the touring medallion is on the opposite end of the loudness scale - probably rated at 93dB.
Old 06-27-06, 10:10 AM
ford027
Driver School Candidate

Thanks juniorsdad, It is loud! I wanted the Touring for the quite sound, but was sent this instead. Do you now if the touring and the racing medallions are similer in price? Also is the racing medallion older than the touring? I am wondering if SFX sent me a cheaper exhaust than what I paid!
Old 06-27-06, 02:53 PM
juniorsdad
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ford027
Thanks juniorsdad, It is loud! I wanted the Touring for the quite sound, but was sent this instead. Do you now if the touring and the racing medallions are similer in price? Also is the racing medallion older than the touring? I am wondering if SFX sent me a cheaper exhaust than what I paid!
yes, the racing is older; been out on the market for the past 4+ yrs
cheaper - uh, don't know..........
Old 06-28-06, 09:50 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

The Medalion Touring is a very quiet exhaust system. It's the newest exhaust system from Tanabe and doesnt need any tip silencer, unlike the much older and louder SM Racing.

SM Racing retails for 590.00 and the Medalion Touring is 640.00. SM Racing's can be had for very little money, while the Touring commands a much higher price.

If I were you, I would be raising hell with that vendor for baiting and switching!

Definitely another good reason to stick with the forum vendors

You were supposed to get this:
Old 06-28-06, 01:28 PM
ford027
Driver School Candidate

Thank you MikeFD3s, and Juniorsdad, I am going to contact them and see whats up. I hope SFX performance autoparts steps up to the plate and fixes the problem.
Old 07-02-06, 09:58 AM
dmz
Rookie

Unless the packaging box was labeled wrong, I doubt that thye can do much for you. And they really don't have to, since you knew you got the Racing medallion and still went ahead and installed the exhaust. You should have known better what you orderd and return it before you installed the exhaust.

Originally Posted by ford027
Thank you MikeFD3s, and Juniorsdad, I am going to contact them and see whats up. I hope SFX performance autoparts steps up to the plate and fixes the problem.