IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Performance Q's about 02' IS 300

Old 01-04-06, 08:36 AM
IS300Buddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Q's about 02' IS 300

Hey all It's actually not my car, but my buddy doesn't have a computer(yet he has a lexus???). So his car is a 2002 5 speed sedan and I don't know his engine specifications but he has an aftermarket header and some kind of vented intake system(no idea if it's aftermarket or not), and it has 60,000 miles on it. We took our cars to the dyno and he put down 173whp and 171wtq, we were wondering is this average(compared to stock I suppose)? On the aftermarket header, I don't even know if he knows if it's 'actually' aftermarket. We both did have on studless snow tires, but on his pulls it seemed like it was almost skipping on the roll, didn't seem like he was getting a full grab. I drive a 05 focus and only put down a whopping 119whp!!! but that's right where I should be with a cold air intake, I had studless snows on to but didn't have the reaction he did. If I knew how to post pictures I have his dyno sheet here and it has the air/fuel chart on it to.

Also he has Ltuned badges all over his car and someone said that means it's suspension tuned, what exactly is it?

And performance wise what is a good place to start, and where? I apologise for the long thread, all the questions and if it doesn't belong in this forum sorry I couldn't really find anywhere else. Thanks in advance to any replys!

Last edited by IS300Buddy; 01-04-06 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-05-06, 06:17 PM
ISinCH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tires might have not allowed him to get accurate numbers. A stock 5spd should dyno around 175-185hp. The header and intake(depending on the design) might add another 10-15hp. He should at a minimum be about 185rwhp.

L-Tuned was a performance package that Lexus offered for I believe 2 years. It included a full body kit, stiffer suspension, and 18" wheels. If he does not have this stuff then the car is not an L-Tuned model.

Bolt on mods are cheap indivudually, but do not yield a lot of horse power compared to forced induction. They also tend to get more expensive as you add more. I am slowly finding this out. It is fun to add mods, but I really want a turbo. Maybe someday my budget will allow it! Bolt on mods are just satsfying my needs at this point. Another good site is myis.net. There are a lot of good resources on that site.