IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Is it worth putting a Supercharger on 04' is300???

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-04, 05:34 PM
arien_one2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it worth putting a Supercharger on 04' is300???

has any1 put a supercharger on their is?? is it worth the $$$ to purchase it?? did it make a huge difference?? does gas mileage change (worse or better)??
feedback please!!
Old 08-23-04, 10:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

there are quite a few IS300 around here with either blower or turbo

if you have the money and want more power, it's always a good option

Last edited by rominl; 08-23-04 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-24-04, 05:12 AM
scottc25
Driver

Of course it's a good idea. The question is do youhavethe money to invest in it. Things to add other than the S/C:

Header
Y-Pipe
Exhaust
Gauges
SAFCII
Wider Tires

There is a lot more involved than just the S/C.
Old 08-25-04, 12:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by scottc25
Of course it's a good idea. The question is do youhavethe money to invest in it. Things to add other than the S/C:

Header
Y-Pipe
Exhaust
Gauges
SAFCII
Wider Tires

There is a lot more involved than just the S/C.
well said, just the sc that's small money already. all the stuff that goes around it together with dyno tuning and labor install, that's more and more money
Old 08-25-04, 10:32 PM
teton
Driver School Candidate

I am also interested in this. Does anyone have experience with the outcome of adding the SC?

Also what'd happen if I only add the SC and not mess with the headers, exhaust, etc....
I wish TRD had a factory SC for the IS. I am not looking for mega power, but just a little bit more to make it competitive with those G35's.

-Teton
Old 08-25-04, 11:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

imho you get a very unbalanced system. it's like you trying to push a lot of stuff in but not letting anything out
Old 08-26-04, 05:05 AM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by rominl
imho you get a very unbalanced system. it's like you trying to push a lot of stuff in but not letting anything out

Old 08-26-04, 10:24 AM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Originally posted by teton
I am also interested in this. Does anyone have experience with the outcome of adding the SC?

Also what'd happen if I only add the SC and not mess with the headers, exhaust, etc....
I wish TRD had a factory SC for the IS. I am not looking for mega power, but just a little bit more to make it competitive with those G35's.

-Teton
Adding an SC to the car isn't that bad. Have it installed well and installed properly, and get the car properly tuned for your environment/area. Good tuning may help prevent the OBDII ECU from learning and taking over your tuning settings as well. Otherwise, you may have to deal with the ECU learning and occasionally reset the ECU like many F/I owners.

I would highly suggest swapping out the stock header and y-pipe to remove the catalytic converters. With F/I, you will eventually burn up your cats. So it's worth it to just replace them. An aftermarket exhaust is optional, but if added, will yield more gains than compared to an N/A setup IMO.

I think what Henry is trying to say is, adding an aftermarket exhaust system will help the engine flow better since there will be more air and fuel force fed into the engine with F/I.
Old 08-26-04, 09:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by bchau_gt

I think what Henry is trying to say is, adding an aftermarket exhaust system will help the engine flow better since there will be more air and fuel force fed into the engine with F/I.
yeah that's sorta what i was thinking. tell me if i am wrong though. i never really study FI that much, so..
Old 08-27-04, 07:57 AM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

I would highly suggest swapping out the stock header and y-pipe to remove the catalytic converters. With F/I, you will eventually burn up your cats. So it's worth it to just replace them. An aftermarket exhaust is optional, but if added, will yield more gains than compared to an N/A setup IMO.

yeah that's sorta what i was thinking. tell me if i am wrong though. i never really study FI that much, so..

yeah..thats pretty obvious...

Last edited by tsopranoMB; 08-27-04 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-27-04, 09:44 AM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Originally posted by tsopranoMB
yeah..thats pretty obvious...
Not for everyone. Some people don't even think about changing the exhaust sytem with a supercharger kit. Some people like to buy those TRD kits and just slap it on without considering anything else. Too bad there isn't a CARB-legal TRD kit for our cars.
Old 08-27-04, 01:21 PM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

Not for everyone. Some people don't even think about changing the exhaust sytem with a supercharger kit. Some people like to buy those TRD kits and just slap it on without considering anything else. Too bad there isn't a CARB-legal TRD kit for our cars.
perhaps....but I believe thats pretty obvious, if you are smart enough to know about supercharging a car, then you are smart enough to realize to change from the stock exhaust system....whereas most people at that point would aready have an aftermarket set-up most likely anyways, ya know?!

what TRD kit???
Old 08-27-04, 01:29 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

perhaps....but I believe thats pretty obvious, if you are smart enough to know about supercharging a car, then you are smart enough to realize to change from the stock exhaust system....whereas most people at that point would aready have an aftermarket set-up most likely anyways, ya know?!

what TRD kit???
I was just using a TRD kit as an example. There are some pretty ignorant consumers out there who may not know anything about cars and just want the extra power without doing research on the "extras".
Old 08-30-04, 01:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

what TRD kit???
haha well, he has a blower in his car
Old 08-30-04, 08:38 AM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

haha well, he has a blower in his car
having seen and ridden personally in a Toyomoto Supercharged IS300....it definatly adds more of a punch with header/downpipe/aftermarket exhaust....you'd be surprised what power that blower makes on the N/A 2JZ....

Quick Reply: Is it worth putting a Supercharger on 04' is300???