Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

Acceleration hesitation after stop RX450H

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-19, 09:54 AM
bogdan450h
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Acceleration hesitation after stop RX450H

Hi,
I had problems with my RX450h 2017 model (Europe). i was waiting in a cross road and the car refuses to start or started very very slowly (1,2 km/h) when I pressed acceleration.After i was kicking down the pedal the thermic engine was starting normally. No sound, no signalisation on gauges.
I went to service and they found nothing, no error.
This was happening 4 times in 6 months, always in intersections, so very dangerous situations.
please let me know if anybody had the same problems.

thank you
Bogdan
Old 06-17-19, 10:34 AM
Nogee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am having similar symptoms with our 2016 with about 41,000 miles. I notice that on initial startup in the morning that the car seems to stumble between combustion and electric mode. It is similar to having an idle that is too low or bad fuel as in a non-hybrid car. There is also an intermittent "clacking" noise during this brief period.
I also experience some light stumbling during normal driving, but this seems to clear up when the car gets to warmer operating mode.

Did you get any resolution on this? I would be interested to hear your ongoing experience with this issue.

thanks
Old 06-17-19, 10:59 AM
bogdan450h
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Nogee,

thank you for your response!
No, I have no solution yet.
I had again the same kind of problems, I went, again to service, I let the car there for 1 week but the response was negative: all diagnostics and test-what they made-was fine. But the car is not fine.
I am now in a dead corner with the service, nobody has any idea, no pro active attitude.

I really don t know what to do next, only to “dig”on forums, maybe the Toyota will act somehow…
I am sure they have solutions to solve this issue but first they have to want to get involved.

Do you had more luck? what is your status now?

All the best
Bogdan
Old 06-24-19, 10:53 PM
Nogee
Driver School Candidate

Bogdan,

I haven't taken it into the dealer yet as I was hoping to get some direction from the forum. It seems to start better now but I sense some hesitation in acceleration when it is coming to warmer operating temperature.

I will provide updates.
Old 08-13-19, 08:04 AM
Nogee
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE:
Recently took the car in specifically for this problem. Upon initial start of the car where: the car is turned on, there is a pause as the car initializes and finally the engine will start up. It is at this point where the engine stumbles badly. Sometimes it is very rough and there is some "clacking" noise coming I think from the engine bay. The car will stumble and proceed running rough as I drive away. The car will stumble upon moderate acceleration. At times during other parts of the day, the issue is less pronounced however the engine seems to miss while idling or slow maneuvers from a parking spot. Also, at normal operating temperatures, the engine does not turn off at a stop which I believe happens normally with the hybrid.

Dealer again ran diagnostics without any revelations. They also contacted Lexus corporate offices for any additional information. No definitive cause only to say that it seems to be a fuel issue. I've only used top-tier 91 octane fuel. Prior to bringing the car to service I ran two tanks of Chevron Techron to see if I could clear the situation up. Not so and therefore I took the car in for service.

I am try to stay with one brand of gas to see if I can narrow down any fuel problem but the stumbling continues.