Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

First hybrid odd behavior

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-19, 08:26 AM
rxhnewbie
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First hybrid odd behavior

Just brought 2019 RX 450h, my first hybrid ever. Based on my 1 month usage I am noticing the following.
- At speeds less than 40mph the car switches to battery only mode only if I disengages the pedal, and reengages it. Is that normal? I thought the car was smart enough to figure at a when to switch between battery vs engine.
- Starting from complete stop the car almost always starts the engine. Based on synergy hybrid videos I assumed the car to start rolling with battery, and as the speed increases turn on the engine.
- I hardly notice the car operation with both engine and battery combo mode. Its either pure battery or engine. Is that normal?
- The city only mpg is around 22-23. Much less than the EPA rated value. The dealer told me its related to the winter fuel. Is that the case?

Again most of my previous 1 month experience was based on 5 mile daily one-side commute to work in Boston, most at winter temperature around 40F.

Being a complete newbie I am hoping someone from the community can confirm these are normal behavior with a 450h? Thanks.
Old 03-22-19, 08:45 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Congratulations on your new RX! I'll give you my opinions below:

Originally Posted by rxhnewbie
Just brought 2019 RX 450h, my first hybrid ever. Based on my 1 month usage I am noticing the following.
- At speeds less than 40mph the car switches to battery only mode only if I disengages the pedal, and reengages it. Is that normal? I thought the car was smart enough to figure at a when to switch between battery vs engine.
Yes, this is normal. There are times when it will switch from gas or gas/electric to just electric without letting up on the gas, but it's most likely to happen when you release the engine of any load first.

- Starting from complete stop the car almost always starts the engine. Based on synergy hybrid videos I assumed the car to start rolling with battery, and as the speed increases turn on the engine.
It can start rolling just on battery power alone, but it relies on a few other things to happen. First, the engine really needs to be fully warmed up. Second, it has to be a pretty slow/easy start. Too much accelerator pedal and the gas engine will need to engage. And finally, you need to have a good battery charge.
- I hardly notice the car operation with both engine and battery combo mode. Its either pure battery or engine. Is that normal?
This really depends on a number of factors. In our Highlander, I feel like we get a good variety of power options/combinations, and I can't always figure it out, but normally under a period of strong acceleration, like a freeway on ramp, I'll see that both the gas and electric motors are engaged.

- The city only mpg is around 22-23. Much less than the EPA rated value. The dealer told me its related to the winter fuel. Is that the case?
Short commutes will do this. The gas engine will be used heavily for the first few miles, as it tries to warm up quickly, as a warm engine is an efficient engine. During that time you'll see gas mileage that is pretty typical of a conventional gasoline engine. Once it's warmed up you'll get better mileage. Our Highlander commute recently changed. It used to be 12 miles each way, and we'd always get 28 mpg. Now it's down to 4 miles each way and we get about 21.

Again most of my previous 1 month experience was based on 5 mile daily one-side commute to work in Boston, most at winter temperature around 40F.

Being a complete newbie I am hoping someone from the community can confirm these are normal behavior with a 450h? Thanks.
Your mileage is likely to increase over time, but as I noted above, your short commute is a bit less than ideal for great hybrid mileage, at least in my experience. So you may not be getting super mileage right now, but it's likely better than you'd get in a 5 mile commute with a conventional V6 powertrain. If it makes you feel better, the 3.5 V6 in my GS gets around 16 mpg on my 6 mile commute...
Old 03-22-19, 03:42 PM
rxhnewbie
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDR76
Congratulations on your new RX! I'll give you my opinions below:

Yes, this is normal. There are times when it will switch from gas or gas/electric to just electric without letting up on the gas, but it's most likely to happen when you release the engine of any load first.

It can start rolling just on battery power alone, but it relies on a few other things to happen. First, the engine really needs to be fully warmed up. Second, it has to be a pretty slow/easy start. Too much accelerator pedal and the gas engine will need to engage. And finally, you need to have a good battery charge.

This really depends on a number of factors. In our Highlander, I feel like we get a good variety of power options/combinations, and I can't always figure it out, but normally under a period of strong acceleration, like a freeway on ramp, I'll see that both the gas and electric motors are engaged.

Short commutes will do this. The gas engine will be used heavily for the first few miles, as it tries to warm up quickly, as a warm engine is an efficient engine. During that time you'll see gas mileage that is pretty typical of a conventional gasoline engine. Once it's warmed up you'll get better mileage. Our Highlander commute recently changed. It used to be 12 miles each way, and we'd always get 28 mpg. Now it's down to 4 miles each way and we get about 21.

Your mileage is likely to increase over time, but as I noted above, your short commute is a bit less than ideal for great hybrid mileage, at least in my experience. So you may not be getting super mileage right now, but it's likely better than you'd get in a 5 mile commute with a conventional V6 powertrain. If it makes you feel better, the 3.5 V6 in my GS gets around 16 mpg on my 6 mile commute...
thanks you so much for the response JDR76. Really appreciate you taking time to answer the new folk’s questions
The following users liked this post:
JDR76 (03-22-19)
Old 03-22-19, 07:36 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by rxhnewbie

thanks you so much for the response JDR76. Really appreciate you taking time to answer the new folk’s questions
Anytime. That’s what these forums are all about.
Old 04-03-19, 04:20 AM
gottabekin
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turning on the heat during Winter and short commute will kill the MPG to around 24 for me. Summer time I can get 29