ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Hybrid Technology (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology-215/)
-   -   Worth getting a 450H in 2019? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology/912789-worth-getting-a-450h-in-2019-a.html)

ALexasTX 02-27-19 02:44 PM

Worth getting a 450H in 2019?

Hey everyone,

As the hybrids are now aging, the year being 2019, is it still worth purchasing one?

I am looking to get into something more solid, and the 3GS has really peaked my interest. I'm interested in either the 350 or the 450H, but am a bit worried about the latter as even the newest hybrid batteries would be about 9 years old at this point.

What would your suggestions be? Stick with the less complicated 350, or take a gamble on the 450H?

In case it matters, I am located in Ontario, Canada

Lwerewolf 02-27-19 04:50 PM

gs450h - HV battery, EBD (brake) pump.

If you can find one with a recent dealer battery replacement, go for it. If not, check the prices with your local dealer, and decide if you want to go for it if and when it happens.
Brake-by-wire system - new pump costs quite a bit, breaker yard not so much. How often does it happen is another story, but it's the most common major complaint after the hybrid battery (which is pretty much a consumable).

I'd test drive both types before making a choice. One more thing about the 450h - disabling stability control is a bit more involved ("maintenance mode"), for drivetrain safety reasons.

rl9010 02-27-19 04:51 PM

My experience has been 3 trouble free years with the 450h. I think most people are scared of the battery replacement, but there are ways of getting this done more economically as opposed to replacing the entire battery. You will not have an awd option when it comes to the 450h so this is something to keep in mind. 2011 gs450h came with adjusted software to prevent battery overheating that took place with the 06-10 model years. Seeing the prices of the used market, i bet you will be happy with the h's added performance and luxury.

I am biased, but get a 2011 gs450h...I have a feeling I won't have to deal with battery replacement due to the protection the software fixed from previous years. (unless you need awd)

703 03-03-19 10:30 AM

Boot space is too limited. Grab a gs460 instead

Brabusx2 03-06-19 01:36 PM

i have a 2007 GS450h which i got as a CPO since 2012 with 36k miles from Lexus Santa Monica, she gave me another 120k stress-free miles until 2 months ago i gave the car to my brother and its still performing perfectly. i think cars varies by people, i was able to pressure dealer into replacing the battery right before warranty ends, and even if battery is the issue there are a lot of 3rd party vendor that specialized them

Kton 03-26-19 08:03 PM

I'm in the same boat but also worried about the CVT. Is it as reliable as the 6 speeds and 8 speeds in the gas variants? Looking at pretty much everything except the GS300

rryba 03-27-19 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by 703 (Post 10456405)
Boot space is too limited. Grab a gs460 instead

I would love to but you know how rare they are. Also i have some thughts about MPG into city traffic :(

Originally Posted by Kton (Post 10476622)
I'm in the same boat but also worried about the CVT. Is it as reliable as the 6 speeds and 8 speeds in the gas variants? Looking at pretty much everything except the GS300

I just only drove with hybrid and cant compare it to petrol but what i can tell it's really smooth. I am still looking for one. The CVT is not somthing which bothering me , but i am more concerned with vvti, dampers, bateries and break pump. Its hard to even check most of those by yourself :/ There is a lot of thread about buying GS but any which usefull tips and tricks :(

Kton 03-27-19 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by rryba (Post 10476756)

I just only drove with hybrid and cant compare it to petrol but what i can tell it's really smooth. I am still looking for one. The CVT is not somthing which bothering me , but i am more concerned with vvti, dampers, bateries and break pump. Its hard to even check most of those by yourself :/ There is a lot of thread about buying GS but any which usefull tips and tricks :(

The smoothness is due in part to the CVT transmission.

Do all 450h come with active dampers? I'm also looking for just traditional suspension

rryba 03-27-19 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Kton (Post 10476764)
The smoothness is due in part to the CVT transmission.

Do all 450h come with active dampers? I'm also looking for just traditional suspension

Hybrid usually came with more factory options so I think most of them has (it can depend where you live). Also some of them can have active stability controll in spare tire place :)

Lwerewolf 03-27-19 11:51 AM

I think all 450h's and 460s came with "active" dampers. The active part is a servo-activated low-speed plunger. people have installed normal dampers in them, no issues.

petershen 04-22-19 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kton (Post 10476622)

The CVT in the 3GS hybrid is a planetary geared CVT, not the weak belt or chain driven types... it is incredibly tough and reliable, I would say theoretically more so than the 6/8 speed torque converter automatics coz it has less moving parts and friction components.

The key issue is the hybrid battery, which should be considered as a "consumable". I'm OK with that, but you should weigh whether the cost and boot space sacrifice is worth it.

These are big and heavy cars, so all the bushings etc will need to be changed at some point (all at once, not piece meal) as they get older, as is the case with all big and heavy RWD cars.

The 3GS belongs to a generation of Lexus that were very well built, just look at the panel fit and quality of materials. Far better than my wife's BMW X5.

tghw 04-23-19 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by petershen (Post 10500175)
The 3GS belongs to a generation of Lexus that were very well built, just look at the panel fit and quality of materials. Far better than my wife's BMW X5.

That is the thing that has impressed me more than anything else about my 09 GS350 AWD. I have owned a bunch of Hondas and Toyotas over the past 20 yrs., but this is my first Lexus and I have only owned it for about a year and a half. Although it is 10 yrs. old now and has 95K miles on it, it was well maintained by the previous owner. It is still quiet and solid as a rock. These cars are built like the proverbial brick ***** house. :thumbup:

energie8 05-08-19 01:40 PM

Can anyone confirm that the 4th gen 450’s have a different battery type?

Lwerewolf 05-08-19 01:47 PM

Don't think they do.
https://lexus-japan.epc-data.com/gs4.../8201/G9510/#3
Looks like a rearrangement. Also saw an ad for a gs450h/nx300h battery on a russian 2nd hand items site somewhere. All I've seen so far points towards it being the same form factor modules.

rryba 05-09-19 02:19 AM

Newer prius (it's mk3 i think) have also rearrangement battery packs, same as 4th gen. They had diffrent casing but are pretty same inside, also battery type is same NiMH. New Casing let them cool better as far I know. I saw somewhere on russian forum the newer casing also fits to 3rd gen lexus battery but you need to confirm that :)