Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

Thinking about purchasing a CPO 2016 RX 450h F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-19, 01:07 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Thinking about purchasing a CPO 2016 RX 450h F-Sport

As the title says, my wife and I are in the market for an SUV and we just test drove a nebula gray 2016 RX450h F-Sport. Looks like the previous owner selected every option I think (nav/ml audio, cold weather package, pano roof, triple beam led headlamps, tow prep, etc). The dealership that has this car isn't a Lexus dealer, but rather one of these independently owned businesses.

Question is, should I be looking or checking for anything even though its been listed as a one owner vehicle and under 25k miles? I've been lurking in the RX section for the last month and it doesn't appear that you guys have any issues at all except for some drone on the 350's? We're seriously considering putting an offer on this car, but wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything. (for example; when I bought an ISF, everyone on here said to look for the valley plate leak, water pump leak, etc)

Other questions:
1. Thinking about getting a small fiberglass ski boat in the future; with the tow hitch installed, is this SUV capable of pulling anything of that size/weight or have any of you towed anything like that yet?

2. Are there any noticeable differences between the 2016, 17, 18 and 19 models?

3. How is the 450h really in the snow? I only ask because we're only 3.5 hours away from Tahoe and don't want to get stuck on the side of the road if it can't handle a couple of inches of snow.

4. What maintenance should I be expecting? Oil changes every how many miles? Brakes, fluids, etc? I've never own a hybrid so this is a whole new world for me.

Any other info I should be aware of would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Old 02-20-19, 01:10 PM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

1) I know nothing about towing so I won't even pretend to.
2) Mostly similar, but as always newer years fix issues they find. I own a 2016 and have had almost no issues other than 2 failed seat heaters.
3) It's FABULOUS in the snow, one of the best handling vehicles I've driven. But there *IS* a FWD and AWD model, make sure you're talking AWD (I imagine all F-sports are).
4) Maintenance should be included at this point, mainly oil changes every 10k at this point.

Watch for leak evidence at the overhead microphone on the driver side roof!! Also some pano's have been known to "implode", that early year of the pano might not be the best to own...

The entertainment center software is known to *sometimes* rarely reset mid-drive. I've seen it once. Ive heard this is addressed in newer years.

I use openpilot on mine for tesla style autopilot control; it works fabulously, you might be interested if you plan on lots of highway miles!

Last edited by shadowmite; 02-20-19 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-20-19, 07:44 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

I just got a Nightfall Mica 2016 RX 450h F-sport last Friday! It's only day 5 but could not be happier. I'll attempt some of the questions -

1. I cannot speak to direct experience. The owners manual says max trailer weight is 3500 lbs, max gross combined weight (car and trailer) not to exceed 9500 lbs, and anything over 2000 lbs requires a sway control device. This is with the approved factory tow package. It might be worth locating the owners manual on line if you can - there's like ~15 pages and lots of warnings.
2. I never investigated the differences.
3. Haven't driven in the snow yet but I bought it to do just that if needed.
4. Maintenance is basically every 10k. They recommend 5k intervals, but the 5k in-between are inspections.

Is this really a CPO? I only ask because it usually takes a Lexus dealer to certify a pre-owned because there is an extended warranty (2 years) past the factory and it's Lexus that backs it. I'd ask a lot of questions about that. I'm not aware an independent dealer can sell a CPO. Maybe they can, but I would definitely have a Lexus dealership confirm it because they are the ones that have to honor the warranty. They may also be trying to bundle the car with a 2 year extended warranty and call it CPO (?). I bought CPO from Lexus and got +2 years on warranty and 2 years free maintenance.
Old 02-21-19, 01:58 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

Thank you guys for the feedback.

1Louder - I was also puzzled by it being a CPO being offered through an independent dealer/business. After reading the vehicle history report, it reported that it has been in a minor front end collision with a police report, then it was a lease return and became a fleet vehicle, then went to auction and ended up at this dealer. Although this model/set up has been hard to find recently, I think we're going to pass on this car. The dealer doesn't want to budge on the price and seeing its history, I'm sure we could find another one if we still wanted to go this route.

Again, thank you for the information and feedfback!
Old 02-21-19, 04:00 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

^ Good luck with the search! I think this is the time of year you'll see more 2016 CPOs hit the market as those 3-year leases are up.

I think its wise to avoid a car with prior damage unless you are getting a screaming deal. I was trading in my 2016 IS 200t that very recently had a very minor 5 mph bump from the back. Bumper was basically just scratched and moved forward by maybe 1/4". Bumper was sanded, repainted and put back on, all < $1000 to fix. But the Carfax just showed "collision" and when the dealer saw that, they made it an issue with regard to my trade in value. If you buy one with a history, it will come up again when you try to trade it.