ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Hybrid Technology (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology-187/)
-   -   My Lex 2006 RX400h ~ Check VSC system ~ Check Hybrid System (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology/910570-my-lex-2006-rx400h-check-vsc-system-check-hybrid-system.html)

thomas1 03-03-19 08:56 PM

That is a great reader, will work with your devices and for other cars as well. Wonder why they didn't check fuel system properly. It is either the pump or not.
Could be the fuel relay, not sure were it is, but maybe it is dropping or has bad contacts.

jooksing82 03-13-19 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by jwren (Post 10456009)
I already ordered this one, what do you all think?... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks nice be seems expensive. FYI, usually autoparts store have free loaners to scan.reset the light.
I bought a Autel MaxiScan MS300 for ~$15 that works fine for reading and clearing general codes.
I also bought an generic Bluetooth OBD for ~$30 like the one you have and can use with various apps on the phone. (Dr Prius, Torque, etc)
You can get a mini VCI ~$30 like this one for use with the computer to do advance stuff, from programming keys, Changing default settings, and moving (testing) your side mirrors.

jwren 03-14-19 07:00 PM

UPDATE! And it's not a good one! :thumbdn: My car has been at Lexus for two weeks (second time there, had it towed there 3 weeks ago, then they cleared the codes and told us what was wrong), all the warning lights came back after driving it 10 miles down the road. We were asked to drive it back down there. Apparently, the abs system completely quit while the technician was test driving it and he almost crashed into another car. They are telling my husband we will have to have it towed home ($150). The abs fix is $2700 (I think he said it was the ABS actuator failed, so brakes just stopped working.) and the fuel pump (fuel run out triggers the hybrid system light and stalls the car, even with a full tank of gas) $1300. We never would have drove it back 80 miles there if we knew this was going to be the case. I think this car needs to be recalled! It's not safe at all! Any helpful advice? We don't have this kind of money, just used all our cash (from a settlement from a car injury my husband was in years back) to buy this car a few months ago. One owner, 165k miles, maintained, records... $7,000. It lasted me three months. This is not acceptable to me. :( Please help...

Ajmal 06-12-19 01:37 AM

Can I get help please ,,, I bought two months ago my Lexus RX400H 2006 done 98k, since two months while I drove over 100k 80k 60k/hour while driving the car engine shut fully all the lights in the dash turned on and getting warning Check your Hybrid system check ur VSC system ,, no power in engine had to pull over put the car in park and turning on again ,,, after few turn on and off the engine the warning sign go off.... how every I took it in so many place spend quite bit of money on scanning every one thoughts different, the last person who diagnose it and said its Battery Voltage sensor, so he took two days to take the battery out and find out if its really the battery voltage sensor but it was not and charged me 6 hours labor, but he didn't find any problem after scanned he said the problem not showing any more but he did not find any error any more, so took the car back drove for 3 days and it happened again,,,i am really stuck in this can any one please help.... Lexus cant confirm the exact problem they ask they gona put it in the computer and scan just to find out where the problem is coming from that will cost about $500 just to check + to find out the problem and +plus if any part need this on that almost 2 to 3 days labor which will cost me almost half or more than the cost of car.... any thought please give me buzz I am so stuckkk really

pakris 07-24-19 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by jwren (Post 10430311)
Found this on another post.. With all the replacement 12v batteries already replaced on my car from the previous owner. I now have some hope this is all it is. Praying! I have the 2006 Rx400H but also owned the first 2010 Rx450H. Someone's post that led me here: " I have a Lexus 2006 RX 400h and a 2013 RX 450h. I have spoken with different Lexus dealerships about the 2006 400h battery and get different answers. I've had to jump my 2006 400h 3x in last 90 days and the battery has checked out fine both times. Bottom line is this- the 2006 400h has a small battery under the hood. Although bigger than a motorcycle battery, that's what come to mind when I first saw it. My 2013 450h has a normal sized battery in the rear (and I used it to jump the 2006 this morning). Note: I am not talking about the expensive hybrid batteries under the seat; those serve a different purpose. Lexus put such a small battery under the hood in the 2006 RX 400h that it does not last. My current Lexus dealer has no clue that the 2006 has tiny starter battery in it. I am replacing the 400h battery under the hood even though it checks out fine (a false positive reading). It's 4 years old, and my old dealer agrees with me that the small 400h battery does not last long. Keep in mind the 2006 400h was a vintage year hybrid for Lexus. I think they solved the problem by 2013 in the 450h with a normal sized stater battery next to the spare tire in the rear. They just didn't get it right in 2006 so be prepared to replace the battery (under the hood) more often. Other than that, it's a great car. In addition, unless your Lexus service writer REALLY knows hybrids, they might not have a clue that the battery is is ill suited to last long in your 2006 RX 400h."

New to this forum. : )
I have the 2006 Rx400H and the battery died over a week ago. I had it towed to shop and the mechanic said he'd try to save the 12v battery. When he did get it to hold a charge he said the 'code' he gets is that the Hybrid control module needs to be replaced. Well, after getting the close to $2000.00 quote just for the module I decided to have the car towed back home (5 streets away). The battery was working when the tow company put it on the truck and happen to leave driver side window open to push and align with the tow truck.

So 5 minutes later it's lowered into my driveway and the man, being helpful, asked me to make sure the window was up. Well, the battery was dead again. He had a portable charger that he said was low and still hooked up and gave it enough power for me to turn on and put the window up.
I saw the dashboard lights and gps map momentarily with a 'system loading sign' where you normally see the map etc. Then he disconnected since the window was up and all went dead again. No warning lights nothing. I had to manually lock all the doors.

My question is... can I change this smaller battery myself and is it possible that the hybrid control module will reset on it's own? They told me it was very dangerous to work on high voltage cars and they have to hook it up to their machines to recalibrate etc.
I just watched 2 videos of the 51R 550 cca battery being replaced (DIY). It seems at the very least this could solve the issue and the control module is possibly fine.

My car had one other owner and in 3 years since I purchased, I've put 10K miles on always change oil, new tires and brake pads. Great car for me!

Really appreciate the support and suggestions in advance!

hcyap2005 09-09-19 07:18 PM

My 2008 model had encountered this message for the past 1 month, every time I reset the 12V battery and continue running. Until last week my front tire air leaking and sent for repair. It was also found that the break pads are worn out badly, then I replaced the 4 break pads together. After that, this warning message never come back again. TQSM.

Mmarlo 12-01-19 11:21 AM

What happened to your Lexus 400h now? pls, give us some update.

pakris 01-04-20 08:25 PM

RX 400H update: I have had to disconnect the 12v battery (replaced with standard advancedauto brand battery) in order to start the car. Recently, after turning right into a shopping plaza with gas 1/4 full and cap closed properly (clicked), the VSC light came on but the car drove home fine and was never shut off until I got into my driveway. So, I tried to start up again and nope..... all lights on hybrid ready etc. I thought it was started and put it into D drive. Then I got the message 'put in Park to start car' 😮

Today I went back to store and returned battery (they tested while car on and it was 12.9 and well....it was on lol?) anyway I purchased the best they had to offer Optima yellow match for my car. I paid a $50.00 difference for this deep cell 51R 12v and naturally when it was hooked up all started and I got the re-calibration loading screen all was fine again and drove out of the parking lot and then the VSC light came on again.

When I got home and turned it off, I tried to start the car and the same thing again. So, I still have to disconnect negative on the battery and reconnect for it to start and one time it started without the recalibration screen ever coming on 🤔

I guess I could check for this sensor under the car somewhere by back wheel frame next. Found a new video I'll share below but I am miffed.
Side note - I do have a small slow leak in a/c and had that serviced after replacing 12v standard battery back in July of 2019.

Not giving up - it's a great car and drives like butter.
ps. after watching one of the 4 videos below I realized that I have a slight incline in my circular driveway and the car is parked leaning left or right. Not planning on trying what is suggested yet, other than looking for a VSC or Trac reset button or trying to start car on flat road and then drive for 10 minutes 25mph straight no turns?

jwren 01-24-20 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mmarlo (Post 10671435)

It’s sitting in my driveway broke down. Trying to get it fixed when I get my tax refund. I found out the abs actuator was an issue with many models including mine, but rather than issuing a recall, they issued an extension to the warranty for this part. I am just out of that warranty period. So I’m not sure what’s next. This sucks 😔

pakris 01-30-20 08:08 PM

VSC Light fix

Sorry to read all of the issues with the VSC light alert and pointing to many different reasons. Above all, making the car unstartable in some cases.

Here's my update: I found another video that shows a manual recalibration for the Vehicle Stability Light (if it is a false alert).
It took me 5 minutes and I followed the steps to press and release the emergency brake and regular brake alternating twice as recommended in the attached video.
After I shut the car off I waited a moment then turned the key and the car started (without disconnecting the new battery)! The VSC light has not come back on. It's been a few weeks now! This has worked for me. Hope this helps someone!

starc 06-03-20 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ajmal (Post 10539563)
Can I get help please ,,, I bought two months ago my Lexus RX400H 2006 done 98k, since two months while I drove over 100k 80k 60k/hour while driving the car engine shut fully all the lights in the dash turned on and getting warning Check your Hybrid system check ur VSC system ,, no power in engine had to pull over put the car in park and turning on again ,,, after few turn on and off the engine the warning sign go off.... how every I took it in so many place spend quite bit of money on scanning every one thoughts different, the last person who diagnose it and said its Battery Voltage sensor, so he took two days to take the battery out and find out if its really the battery voltage sensor but it was not and charged me 6 hours labor, but he didn't find any problem after scanned he said the problem not showing any more but he did not find any error any more, so took the car back drove for 3 days and it happened again,,,i am really stuck in this can any one please help.... Lexus cant confirm the exact problem they ask they gona put it in the computer and scan just to find out where the problem is coming from that will cost about $500 just to check + to find out the problem and +plus if any part need this on that almost 2 to 3 days labor which will cost me almost half or more than the cost of car.... any thought please give me buzz I am so stuckkk really

I had the same issue, the VSC and check hybrid system light came on. I changed the battery but that didn't work. Then i changed the fuel pump and my car is fine now. having a faulty fuel pump drains the battery.

hcyap2005 06-03-20 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mmarlo (Post 10671435)

It was found that many reasons can caused all this messages to be appeared. For my case, after changing the break pads, few days later, it appeared again (very sad). I send the car to workshop to scan and diagnose, the mechanic advise to change the hybrid batteries. From my daily driving experience, the hybrid batteries can be charged and discharged without issue. Then I bought a scanning tool to read code and erase code when the message appeared (I do read and erase only, no need to stop engine). Till now it is running fine and waiting for "can not erase code", then only send for final scan and diagnose for replacement part.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KONNWEI-KW8...IaAgATEALw_wcB

Regards.

jwren 07-11-20 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by mnewxcv (Post 10435374)
Just so you know, battery voltage is one small part of testing a battery. It comes down to cranking amps and cold cranking amps, and needs an actual battery tester to test. Here is a list of all the times the 12V battery has been replaced in your vehicle:

Update: it still hasn’t been fixed, I pulled the service records and I can’t understand why the 12 volt battery has been replaced so many times and it’s dead again. Also the fact that the brakes fail while driving and almost caused an accident multiple times due to the brake actuator, should be a recalled safety hazard. I’m not the only one this happened to. What should I do?

iMSQ 07-13-20 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by jwren (Post 10844590)
Update: it still hasn’t been fixed, I pulled the service records and I can’t understand why the 12 volt battery has been replaced so many times and it’s dead again. Also the fact that the brakes fail while driving and almost caused an accident multiple times due to the brake actuator, should be a recalled safety hazard. I’m not the only one this happened to. What should I do?

Replace the brake actuator. Safety first.
Broken actuator "pump" too often, hence uses the energy from 12-volt battery (and "kill" it as a result)

PS: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...l#post10388337

deanmitch 09-09-20 08:31 AM

I feel for you. My wife's 2008 RX400h has the same symptoms. Red warning light, red brake light, amber lights for ABS, and a couple of other lights. She drove it this way for 6 months until a high-pitched buzzer came on and her brakes started acting wonky. She says they were harder to depress. Anyway, I had her pull over, and then she couldn't restart the car, and needed a tow. Luckily, we have Triple A. Similar to you, she is skittish and won't drive it again til I have it fixed.
My dealer thought with 99.9 percent certainty the abs actuator assembly needs replacing, base solely on my description of the lights and sounds (clicking actuator). In fact, he said it would be a waste of my money to bring it in to confirm the same. He said this is known issue and they extended the warranty. However, similar to your case, this doesn't help me. The worst part is that my wife has owned the car since 2014. They mailed the warranty extension to the previous owner in Nov. 2016. Why???!!! So we never received it. Otherwise, we would have addressed it then when it could've been done for free (these symptoms occurred as far back as May 2018). Anyway, the warranty extension ended in Nov. 2018, so similar to you, we're SOL.
Anyway, do you know if there's an active class action lawsuit for this issue? I would think so, as it's clearly a known issue that relates to safety. I'm considering buying a used ABS brake assembly on EBay for $550, then Techstream for $50 and install it and bleed the brakes myself. Trouble is, if there is a recall, I'm sure they won't reimburse me a penny because I didn't have the work done at a Lexus/Toyota dealership or by a licensed mechanic.
Anyway, what are your plans? Is your Lexus drive-able?