ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Hybrid Technology (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology-242/)
-   -   Advice on How to Assess a used 450h? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology/902811-advice-on-how-to-assess-a-used-450h.html)

ROgerpart 10-23-18 09:07 PM

Advice on How to Assess a used 450h?

I am a recovering MBZ guy ( love the 90s models) Switched over to Lexus the past 4-5 years because Daimler-Chrysler and subsequent MBZ are no longer reliable, and do not last. I have begun to look for a used GS 450h.

I have been eyeing a 2013 gs450h , about 65k miles, has platinum Lexus warranty until June 2019/ 125k miles. Private seller asking $22,900.

is this a fair price?

Are there particular defects/ issues I should be aware of?
What should I check / look for when I check one out?
Which are the better / more reliable years?
How much of a factor is mileage with respect to the hybrid battery/ inverter, and how expensive is this to replace/fix?
Is there a way to check battery health.

Thanks for your advice.

eddie420 10-24-18 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by ROgerpart (Post 10341096)
I am a recovering MBZ guy ( love the 90s models) Switched over to Lexus the past 4-5 years because Daimler-Chrysler and subsequent MBZ are no longer reliable, and do not last. I have begun to look for a used GS 450h.

I have been eyeing a 2013 gs450h , about 65k miles, has platinum Lexus warranty until June 2019/ 125k miles. Private seller asking $22,900.

is this a fair price?

Are there particular defects/ issues I should be aware of?
What should I check / look for when I check one out?
Which are the better / more reliable years?
How much of a factor is mileage with respect to the hybrid battery/ inverter, and how expensive is this to replace/fix?
Is there a way to check battery health.

Thanks for your advice.

I think it's a fair price. @peasodos - maybe you can give some of your input?

Im2bz2p345 10-24-18 10:25 AM

Base model GS450h or does it have some options/packages? That will certainly help to better determine how much it's worth.

~ Im2bz2p345 :)

ROgerpart 10-24-18 09:24 PM

I'm guessing it is a base model.

I'm guessing it is a base model.
looking at the original window sticker the options are:

--blindspot mirror
--18 inch split five spoke alloyed wheels with super chrome
--Mark Levinson premium surroundsound audio with 17 speaker 835 Watt W7.1 channel architecture digital amplifier and green edge speaker technology
--HDD navigation with 12.3 inch high resolution split screen multimedia display and Lexus and form app suite
-- intuitive parking assist
--Trunk mat, cargo net, wheel lock, rear bumper App

It has Lexus paperwork that indicates that it has an Lexus extended warranty to last through June 2019 or 125,000 miles.

ROgerpart 10-24-18 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345 (Post 10341511)
Base model GS450h or does it have some options/packages? That will certainly help to better determine how much it's worth.

By the way, I checked out the link and pictures of the car that you got several years ago. Very nice! Like you, I prefer to not buy brand new cars and prefer to get nice luxury cars 5 to 6 years old that have been well-maintained and still have many miles left in them.

I will be upgrading from a 1999 GS 400 with the 145,000 miles.

Tom450 10-25-18 08:40 PM

You have the exact same options that I have on my 2013. I believe this is the premium package with the ML which is great!! I have about 33k and have had no problems and am curious about high milage 450H's and how long the battery will last.

peasodos 10-26-18 08:28 AM

Sounds like a fair price, but I've also seen a few luxury 450h's come up for sale a few k more than this with less miles. Wish I held out for a luxury 450h 1.5 years ago, oh well.

Im2bz2p345 10-27-18 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by ROgerpart (Post 10342153)
By the way, I checked out the link and pictures of the car that you got several years ago. Very nice! Like you, I prefer to not buy brand new cars and prefer to get nice luxury cars 5 to 6 years old that have been well-maintained and still have many miles left in them.

I will be upgrading from a 1999 GS 400 with the 145,000 miles.

Thanks for the compliments ROgerpart. I think you're a smart buyer that has the patience to wait and has done their homework to find a good deal, especially since these cars (like most cars) depreciate in value so quickly from their sticker prices.

Coming from MB and going to a Lexus GS hybrid will be a very nice change - you'll not only get trouble free driving thousands of miles, but also great gas mileage while still having power/handling dynamics to have "fun" every now and then.

I would honestly take a look at all the options offered on a 2013-2014 GS450h to figure out everything you want - it seems like you're looking to keep the car for a while, so I would make sure the car has most of things you're after. I would then figure out which exterior and interior colors you would like or wouldn't mind - again, if you're going to keep the car for a while, make sure it checks the boxes for a vehicle you'll desire and love for ages. I'd rather wait and pass on a vehicle that doesn't fit what I want then rush into buying a car that is at a cheap price or that is only attractable because it's a "good deal." This is the thought process that I went through because deciding on my vehicle, but I was a patient buyer that was in no rush and I had been looking for several months, so waiting around even longer wasn't a big deal.

Anyway, compare the car that you found to this vehicle that I just found using a quick search: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=497953603

To me, this car that I linked above is a better deal given the lower mileage and features (it has the highly sought after/fairly rare "luxury package" which includes many options/features) for only $2K more. Again, this depends on what you're after and your budget. Also, I would make sure the car checks out in terms of having a clean title and being accident free (minor stuff is okay, but you don't want structural damage and the like). You can get a carfax report and/or get a trusted auto shop/dealer to inspect the car for you.

Is the vehicle that you're looking at in Texas? Do you mind having a car shipped from a different state or driving it back? Are you needing to purchase a vehicle right away or can you wait? Lots of factors to consider.

Lexus Hybrid Components and Battery having a 8 year/100,000 mile warranty. It seems like you already posted a similar topic in the 3GS hybrid forum (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology-215/), but I would do a lot of research there on the hybrid battery replacement and cost. I haven't read of anyone replacing the battery on their 4GS hybrid yet.

All the best,

azipod 10-29-18 11:36 AM

The GS450h is very hard to come by. There's only about a dozen up for sale at any given time in the entire country. In contrast, there's 3x that amount for the GS-Fs even though they haven't been around as long as the GS450h.

It will be difficult to find the exact color, mileage, and trim options that you will want. That's not even taking into consideration of the price and location.

Overall the GS450h is a very solid car. As long as it's been properly maintained, the car will last you just as long as any other Toyota product.

ROgerpart 10-29-18 03:43 PM

Thank you all for your input.

Im2bz-
I had seen the car you suggested on Auto Trader. Living in Texas, I am looking for a lighter color car with light color interior. Black / Black is a no go for me ( besides of work of keeping a black car looking good). The one I am eyeing is White / cream interior. Also it has a Premium Lexus warranty that has 8 months / 55k miles left on it, so that should help against any big issues.

I do like like the look of the bamboo/ leather steering wheel but can live without it. Besides the bamboo steering wheel and LED headlights, what other features came with the luxury package?

ROgerpart 10-30-18 05:09 PM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...554bfa4c2.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...6abf15b8c.jpeg
OK,
I roped a unicorn today.
2013 White / gray leather, premium package, great condition, 68k miles.
8 months left on Lexus warranty.

ChronoR 10-30-18 06:19 PM

Congrats! Enjoy your new ride!

Im2bz2p345 10-30-18 08:41 PM

Wonderful! Congrats to you sir :) Please share your experiences with her after you get more miles on her.

All the best,

azipod 10-31-18 09:49 AM

Nice color!

Chlim1122 12-29-18 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345 (Post 10344708)
Thanks for the compliments ROgerpart. I think you're a smart buyer that has the patience to wait and has done their homework to find a good deal, especially since these cars (like most cars) depreciate in value so quickly from their sticker prices.

Coming from MB and going to a Lexus GS hybrid will be a very nice change - you'll not only get trouble free driving thousands of miles, but also great gas mileage while still having power/handling dynamics to have "fun" every now and then.

I would honestly take a look at all the options offered on a 2013-2014 GS450h to figure out everything you want - it seems like you're looking to keep the car for a while, so I would make sure the car has most of things you're after. I would then figure out which exterior and interior colors you would like or wouldn't mind - again, if you're going to keep the car for a while, make sure it checks the boxes for a vehicle you'll desire and love for ages. I'd rather wait and pass on a vehicle that doesn't fit what I want then rush into buying a car that is at a cheap price or that is only attractable because it's a "good deal." This is the thought process that I went through because deciding on my vehicle, but I was a patient buyer that was in no rush and I had been looking for several months, so waiting around even longer wasn't a big deal.

Anyway, compare the car that you found to this vehicle that I just found using a quick search: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=497953603

To me, this car that I linked above is a better deal given the lower mileage and features (it has the highly sought after/fairly rare "luxury package" which includes many options/features) for only $2K more. Again, this depends on what you're after and your budget. Also, I would make sure the car checks out in terms of having a clean title and being accident free (minor stuff is okay, but you don't want structural damage and the like). You can get a carfax report and/or get a trusted auto shop/dealer to inspect the car for you.

Is the vehicle that you're looking at in Texas? Do you mind having a car shipped from a different state or driving it back? Are you needing to purchase a vehicle right away or can you wait? Lots of factors to consider.

Lexus Hybrid Components and Battery having a 8 year/100,000 mile warranty. It seems like you already posted a similar topic in the 3GS hybrid forum (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology-215/), but I would do a lot of research there on the hybrid battery replacement and cost. I haven't read of anyone replacing the battery on their 4GS hybrid yet.

All the best,

Just did a hybrid battery replacement on my gs450h.
fully covered by agent.
Car is 6yrs old with 160,000km.