Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

Please help - RX 450H Stopped suddenly on the road - IGNITION ON SIGNAL

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-18, 01:49 AM
vale
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Please help - RX 450H Stopped suddenly on the road - IGNITION ON SIGNAL

Hi Guys,

2 weeks ago i bought 2017 RX 450H f sport, because car was stopped under sun for almost 3 months without driving 12V battery was dead. After we charged it and everything was ok. I was driving car for arount 1 week but yesterday suddenly engine turned off on the road and car was running slowly on hybrid battery for around 1 minit after i stopped because it was not moving anymore when i was pressing pedal.

Firstly Check engine, stop car at safe plase and visit your dealer was written on dashboard, after shortly IGNITION ON signal was activated and after couple of second all signs was on and steering also got stuck. I just called recovery and bring car at home. Will share photos of dashboard signs here and please advice me what to do now. I think it is all because or 12 V battery is dead again and engine did not start because of this.

Please see the photos and advice me what should have happened and how i can fix it.

Thanks in advance!

firs check engine sign was on

after IGNITION ON

and After ALL signs were on
Old 08-16-18, 12:17 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

If it's new, why can't you just bring it to the dealership and have them fix it under warranty?

You could try measuring the 12V battery with a multimeter. If it is dead, simply replace it and see if your problems go away. Next time consider investing in a battery tender for long vacations.
Old 08-17-18, 01:29 AM
vale
9th Gear

Hi ericsan13,

Thanks for replying. The thing is that I imported this car from another country and still not registered under local dealer warranty. I will try to change battery first and hope it will help. Otherwise will take it to dealer but without warranty im sure they will charge me a lot .
Old 08-17-18, 06:46 PM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Old 08-24-18, 03:40 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Any update?
Old 08-26-18, 02:35 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Likely was dead 12V. Hybrids are super sensitive to 12V in good condition. I saw so many issues with them solved by replacing 12V, it's unbelievable.
Old 08-28-18, 03:38 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Likely was dead 12V. Hybrids are super sensitive to 12V in good condition. I saw so many issues with them solved by replacing 12V, it's unbelievable.
could be a good guess, or it could be something else.
the poster has not returned since the 17th
Old 08-29-18, 05:40 AM
vale
9th Gear

Hi Guys, Sorry for delayed reply.

I was on vacation right after I post here, today I am coming back to home and will update you with the news, first i will replace 12 V battery and will see what will happens.
Old 09-02-18, 10:48 AM
vale
9th Gear

Hello Again,

You can not believe but it was all because car run out of petrol.

I changed the battery car started all right, I drive 10 meters still same issue, all checks on and it stopped on the road. We took it to local workshop and after checking on computer 1 hour we couldn't find what was the issue. Computer was showing all system faults including engine fault. Finally I remembered it was showing petrol sign on when it all happened that day, though range shown on dashboard was still 15 km. (I think something happened with petrol sensor who showed wrong range). We put 10 litres of petrol and car started OK.

So please consider never run out of gas on your hybrid lexus. Once u run out of gas then car is literally dead not working nothing.

Thanks for your attention and advices. Hope it will be good experience for
The following users liked this post:
JSracer (09-03-18)
Old 09-02-18, 03:38 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Thank you for reporting back as most first time posters never give a feedback. much appreciated. glad it is something simple as this.
Old 09-03-18, 04:11 AM
JSracer
Instructor

yep, thanks much for the update, glad it wasn't something more serious.
Old 09-25-18, 03:42 AM
vale
9th Gear

Hi Guys,

New update about petrol issue. Every time I have less then 15 liters (approx 4 gallons) petrol in the tank car is doing same thing I posted before. It is stopping and all checks are on before you dont fill up the tank with some petrol.

Can anybody advice what might be the issue? Might petrol pump is displaced inside the tank and can not suck petrol to the engine once it is less then 15 liters? Is that possible? Since I dont have warranty because car was imported from neighbor country they charge huge amount of money if you bring car to local dealer.

If any ideas what it might be please share.

Thanks!
Old 09-25-18, 05:32 AM
JSracer
Instructor

is the low fuel light on ?? what does distance to empty say ??
is everything fine until it hits that level ??

could be a fuel pickup problem, (doesn't sound like a vent issue) need to do some diagnosing,
**these may not be an exact fit for your vehicle, just an example** (please check your model for exact parts)

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...220-31600.html

https://www.mylparts.com/auto-parts/...omponents-scat

Last edited by JSracer; 09-25-18 at 05:43 AM.
Old 09-25-18, 06:51 AM
vale
9th Gear

Originally Posted by JSracer
is the low fuel light on ?? what does distance to empty say ??
is everything fine until it hits that level ??

could be a fuel pickup problem, (doesn't sound like a vent issue) need to do some diagnosing,
**these may not be an exact fit for your vehicle, just an example** (please check your model for exact parts)

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...220-31600.html

https://www.mylparts.com/auto-parts/...omponents-scat
Hi JSracer,
Thanks for the reply. First time it was showing fuel sign on (yellow) and distance around 15-17 km. Second time it did not even show yellow petrol sign and remaining distance was more than 70 kms. I parked car and could not not start it later after 4 hours. When i put some petrol it still did not work. Then i removed cable from 12 V battery and put it back to restart the system. After that car started all right.
Old 09-25-18, 02:43 PM
JSracer
Instructor

The second one seems more electrical /mechanical than needing fuel. Since adding fuel didn't help.

So adding fuel sometimes helps?
Sorry, this one will be super hard to diagnose over the internet, and possibly in person.

Quick Reply: Please help - RX 450H Stopped suddenly on the road - IGNITION ON SIGNAL