Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

AWD Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-18, 04:24 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts
Default AWD Hybrid

So I have a question.
How exactly is RPM synchronized between the front and rear PSDs in an AWD hybrid? As rear drive is, basically, a small version of the front power split device, with its own motor. So they somehow have to be in-sync with the front wheels, when all four engage.
Presuming, it's all based on ABS sensors acting as RPM monitors and then adjusted electronically? I have never ever noticed a slightest glitch in AWD operation in my HiHy.
Old 07-15-18, 03:37 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Why would they have to be in sync?

As far as I know an AWD version just has an electric motor that applies power to the rear wheels under heavy acceleration or when in Snow Mode. I am unaware that the computer monitors rpms and compensates if it senses one axle slipping more than the other. In a conventional AWD if one axle was slipping then all the power would go to that axle unless some sort of positraction mechanism prevented it. But here there are two separate motors; if one was slipping it wouldn't affect the other motor, right?
Old 07-15-18, 04:32 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
So I have a question.
How exactly is RPM synchronized between the front and rear PSDs in an AWD hybrid? As rear drive is, basically, a small version of the front power split device, with its own motor. So they somehow have to be in-sync with the front wheels, when all four engage.
Presuming, it's all based on ABS sensors acting as RPM monitors and then adjusted electronically? I have never ever noticed a slightest glitch in AWD operation in my HiHy.
Regardless how it works, Only AWD vehicle got me stuck in the snow was 2015 RX-450h going out to my cabin located in the foothills of Rockies. 2008 Acura MDX, 2015 BMW X5, 2014 Audi SQ5 all managed
the heavy snow on the road but Lexus when I tried back up, it was not much of a help at all. Car wouldn't pull me out, as I spin the wheel rear end was lifting up instead of digging into snow. . All vehicles had very good winter tires. This winter I am going to try 2015 Mercedes ML550 to see what it can do in deep snow.

Old 07-15-18, 08:54 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Because you can't really drive a car when front and rear axles wheels spin at different speeds. And, without mechanical transfer case+driveshaft, they got to be synched somehow.
Ad hoc, my HiHy AWD took me through any ice and snow up hills without a glitch. but I do know how to drive on snow and ice.

Also, AWD does not kick in only in snow and ice. It actually does so under heavy load. That said, just imagine going up hard serpentine, like I do daily, with front and rear end spinning at various speeds. Hope, this helps to understand why.
Old 07-16-18, 08:42 AM
professorm
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

I have been watching youtube videos, and as far as I can tell, its almost like the lexus is all electric motor driven, and the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) either supplies power to the motor or to the battery, or both. I do not think it is responsible for a physical connection to the wheels. It seem to be all software, keeping everything in synced, the ICE, MR1, MR2, MR3. It seems pretty sophisticated. Google Hybrid Synergy Drive.
The Synergy Drive is a drive-by-wire system with no direct mechanical connection between the engine and the engine controls: both the gas pedal/accelerator and the gearshift lever in an HSD car merely send electrical signals to a control computer.
Old 07-25-18, 11:55 AM
jooksing82
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by professorm
I have been watching youtube videos, and as far as I can tell, its almost like the lexus is all electric motor driven, and the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) either supplies power to the motor or to the battery, or both. I do not think it is responsible for a physical connection to the wheels. It seem to be all software, keeping everything in synced, the ICE, MR1, MR2, MR3. It seems pretty sophisticated. Google Hybrid Synergy Drive.
I think you got it wrong. The ICE is connect to the Power split device (PSD) ICE send power to that in turns it sends to the wheels. MG1 and MG 1 also sends power to the PSD then to the wheels.
The drive by wire is describing the pedal is electronically sensed and then the computer determines how much response (i.e.how much energy to send to the electric motors (mg1/mg2/mg3) and also when to turn on the ICE). Normally cars have a mechanical wire that pulls the throttle body that controls the response of the engine.

This guy teaches about automotive (esp on hybrids) at Weber State University

Rear axle