Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

questions on hybrid , and warranty

Old 06-11-18, 09:05 AM
edwardh11
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default questions on hybrid , and warranty

can anyone tell their warranty experiences on hybrid lexi, I have an older highlander and am in the market for a new car

1. if car is a hybrid, does a warranty cost MORE - an extended warranty??

2. is there more hybrid related maintence that is required to maintain the warranty and must it be dealer serviced more??
Old 06-11-18, 02:21 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Not sure on #1, I think answer is no. It probably depends a bit on the dealer and what they think they can get.

On #2, there is no difference in the maintenance required hybrid vs non-hybrid to maintain warranty. The regular recommended services during the warranty period are pretty much identical. Most of the hybrid components are considered life time - if it's not broken, don't touch them. Over the long term, there are some minor differences in service though. Whereas a regular car has transmission fluid that needs replacing occasionally over life of vehicle, a hybrid will have the CVT/PSD fluid that may need changing at approx. equivalent intervals. Same fluid, same amount of effort, different check box. A hybrid has two separate coolant systems. One for the engine, one for the inverter. Over life of vehicle it may mean a couple more bucks for coolant changes. Hybrid brakes tend to last a lot longer. Instead of replacing pads and rotors, you'll probably instead be spending more on brake service and maintenance to keep the existing parts in good working condition (mine has 115,000 miles, still on original back brakes, front pads changed once). The 12V battery is AGM style located in trunk, a few more $$ to replace when the time comes.

Mostly though, day to day its the same thing. Regular oil changes and standard periodic inspections.
Old 06-11-18, 04:42 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Hybrid components are backed by 10 yr/100 000 miles warranty. No, it is nothing extra.
Unfortunately, hybrid SUVs do not fall under PZEV classifcation, as Camry Hybrids do hence, in CARB states, you can't get 150 000/15 yr warranty.
I think, they removed PZEV classification off late Camrys also.
Old 06-23-18, 01:46 AM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

In the braking department, hybrids take far longer to require a brake pad replacement due to the benefit of regenerative braking from the hybrid synergy drive. The side benefit is that the alloy wheels stay cleaner for longer.
Old 06-24-18, 07:23 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Wheels stay cleaner because Toyota uses ceramic brake pads. I had rear pads gone on my Camry Hybrid after 54 000 miles. Which is not really much. Though lincolnshibuya at toyotanation claims he has over 200 000 miles on his Camry Hybrid with EVERYTHING still original. And I am a very gentle driver, braking included. Guess, it depends.
Old 06-24-18, 12:44 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
I had rear pads gone on my Camry Hybrid after 54 000 miles. Which is not really much.
That is one thing I noticed about hybrids, the rear calipers need service occasionally due to getting stuck, and I think it comes down to the fact that they are used so little in average conditions. I've had my rear calipers serviced twice on my RXh for this reason over the years, and also on my Camry Hybrid once which I had for 6 years and 65,000miles. On the Camry, one got stuck on. I really didn't notice it, but one day I happened to be looking at the rims after a short drive (probably looking at a scratch or dirt, I don't remember) and lightly touched the rotor and burned myself. The rotor was super hot, and this was just a short drive with few stops. The other 3 rotors were cool to the touch. Easy to prematurely wear the rear pads if things aren't all in good order.