Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Warranty and Service History: Used 2015 RX 450h

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-18, 08:54 AM
deborahk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty and Service History: Used 2015 RX 450h

Good morning. Appreciate your time to read my newbie questions.

I'm in the market for a 2015 RX 450h (possibly 350). I found a previously leased 450h with 51k miles for about $30,000 at a non-Lexus car reseller. No accidents. It is not CPO. The 50k mile warranty has obviously expired. There is still the balance of the 75k powertrain warranty available. Carfax report shows that there have been only 3 services: a 5k mile service, 10k mile service, and something at 25k miles.

I plan to keep this car for around 10 years. I currently drive an '07 Prius that have been an amazing workhorse and given me no trouble besides expected maintenance.

My questions:
  • Given the reliability of Lexus and my experience driving the Prius, I am considering skipping buying a warranty and instead taking the vehicle to my trusted hybrid mechanic during the purchase grace period. If it checks out, I'll keep it, and have faith. As experienced "car people", do you think that reasoning is sound?
  • I tried figuring this out online, but had difficulty. Does the 450h need servicing every 5k miles? Has this vehicle been adequately serviced?
Your insights are most appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by deborahk; 06-20-18 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Expand on basic background
Old 06-20-18, 10:34 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

You did not mention if this was a private sale, sale at Lexus but not CPO or sale at non-Lexus car-reseller.

I would suggest take the vehicle [or its vin] to Lexus dealership and ask about what would be needed to bring the service up to date. You can also address and warranty issues.

If the vehicle is being sold by Lexus dealership, question why are thy not offering CPO.

My proverbial 2c ,,, general wear&tear items can be handled. When it gets to essoteric/time_consuming fixes, the warranties pay off. Cant predict which way your purchase will go. Incidentally the CPO also cover services.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
deborahk (06-20-18)
Old 06-20-18, 10:46 AM
deborahk
Driver School Candidate

This is a non-Lexus car-reseller. I didn't realize I could take the VIN to a Lexus dealership to get more information. Will look into that.
Old 06-20-18, 11:14 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

It does not need service every 5,000 miles. The oil change interval is 10,000 miles. Lexus just wants you to return to the dealer service department more often to increase their profit under the pretext that "other" crucial stuff needs to be checked every 5,000 miles. They lost a lot of money after the oil change interval was increased and created new scare tactics or ways to recoup lost profit.

At 10,000 miles get the oil changed and tires rotated. Change the engine air and cabin air filters every 15,000 miles. Change the brake fluid every 3 years ( it absorbs water over time). Change the "transmission" or power transfer unit in a hybrid fluid every 50,000 miles. It is cheap and easy to change the transmission fluid on a hybrid. Your hybrid mechanic guy will know.

FYI you can check the VIN online here at the Lexus Drivers Site. Just sign up as if you own the car (the system does not care) enter the VIN and you can see the service history. https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/

I would never buy an extended warranty/service contract. Save the money as if you purchased one and it will be collecting interest and in reserve should you need it. These are really reliable vehicles.

I bought mine used from a Cadillac dealer and it has been excellent the last 5.5 years.

Good Luck!
deborahk (06-20-18)
Old 06-20-18, 11:55 AM
deborahk
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. You've allayed some of my concerns. Sounds like the car had at least basic maintenance (oil change, tire rotation) if it was serviced at 5, 10, and 25k miles.

Thinking worst case -- if they didn't do the bigger stuff like change engine air and cabin air filters, brake fluid, or power transfer unit, it's not a deal breaker as it is only 3 years old and I can have the mechanic do those now.
Old 06-20-18, 12:42 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

Or they may have been done somewhere other than a dealer and were not logged into the Lexus system. That happens more often than not. However if it was leased from Lexus, it would have been at the dealer for service which should show up on Lexus Drivers.
Regardless, those maintenance intervals are not too bad. Most used car dealers go over a car and change the oil and air filter before putting it out for sale. They usually ignore the cabin filter.

Plus you have the 8 year, 150,000 mile hybrid power train and battery warranty!

Last edited by Clutchless; 06-20-18 at 12:45 PM.
deborahk (06-20-18)
Old 06-20-18, 01:07 PM
deborahk
Driver School Candidate

Clutchless - I reviewed the service report on the Lexus website (great tip!) There were 12 visits to the dealership, and over the course of 3 years 8 months of leasing, there were 3 flat tires (!), once with rim damage that wasn't reported as repaired (just the tire was replaced), and a few inquiries about tire pressure. The number of tire issues was bizarre to me, but perhaps in other parts of the country with rough weather or roads it's not surprising. I'd have to point out the possibility of rim damage to my mechanic.

More odd however was that Lexus lists the vehicle as a loaner vehicle, while the CarFax report lists it as a personal lease. Do you have any insight on how this inconsistency could happen?

The other items were a tweak to the *** to navigate the screen, and the customer reporting issues opening and closing the trunk but the repairman didn't find issues. This is slightly concerning but perhaps par for the course, and I'd probably be willing to let go.

I hope this isn't too much - buying a car happens rarely for me and I'd like to make the best choice I can. Especially with my first used purchase.

Most appreciated

Last edited by deborahk; 06-20-18 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Added more detail
Old 06-20-18, 01:32 PM
deborahk
Driver School Candidate

You know what, I think I misunderstood. It's possible the report is saying that they lent a loaner car. Your opinion on the other items is welcomed anyway! If this car history / price checks out at face value.

Thanks
Old 06-21-18, 07:31 AM
Rosscoe83
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I purchased my 2015 RX450H this past February. It was a LCPO, with all the bells and whistles and 52K miles. It came with a 2 year unlimited warranty and I went ahead and purchased another 2 years so I have 4 years, unlimited miles. I figured that if one bell or whistle craps out, I'll break even. I have to say that I absolutely LOVE this vehicle. It handles great and gets decent gas mileage. I don't get the 30 they claim but I tend to get around 26+ and I'm happy with that. From what I've read, the maintenance is minimal and they run forever. You might have to replace the rear shocks soon but for me that's covered by the warranty (as confirmed by my Lexus dealer when I brought it in last week for my first free service). You can have that done anywhere or do it yourself; 2 bolts per shock. If you like driving it and it meets your needs, buy it. Great vehicle!
deborahk (06-21-18)
Old 06-21-18, 12:07 PM
deborahk
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much for sharing, Rosscoe!
Curious - did you buy the extended coverage because of the relatively higher mileage for that year, or do you think you would have gone with it anyway?
Old 06-21-18, 12:53 PM
Rosscoe83
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I do not consider 52K miles relatively high for that year, personally. I only went with the extended warranty because it has 4x4 (such that it is), NAV, and all the other bells and whistles. peace of mind basically. Probably not necessary but I could afford to do it. If you can't afford the extra $2K (?) for the warranty, don't sweat it. These appear to be pretty solid vehicles and if you take care of them they will take care of you. I'm expecting this to take me to 200K
deborahk (06-21-18)
Old 06-21-18, 01:03 PM
deborahk
Driver School Candidate

Love your enthusiasm.
Old 06-21-18, 05:23 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

If you are considering extended warranty, please make sure the insuring company is solid and read the exclusion fine print. Folks have all sorts of good/bad experience(s), but I would only do it through Lexus of USA.
Note: Lexus dealership's can sell other insurance policy too and like the car price, the insurance is negotiable too.
Note to Note: Insurance companies make money on the plans. We the consumer simply spread the risk.

Salim
Old 06-21-18, 06:57 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by deborahk
I tried figuring this out online, but had difficulty. Does the 450h need servicing every 5k miles? Has this vehicle been adequately serviced?
The maintenance schedule and manuals are also available via the Lexus Drivers site.

Originally Posted by deborahk
As experienced "car people", do you think that reasoning is sound?
It's not really about experience or reasoning. Extended warranties are insurance. Some are more comfortable with the coverage, some don't see the need for it. As pointed out above, these things are profitable for the companies selling the warranties so they certainly make much more selling warranties versus what they pay out for covered repairs. Definitely get the vehicle inspected by a reputable 3rd party.

Last edited by takeshi74; 06-21-18 at 07:02 PM.