Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

2010 RX450h Clicking/Ticking Sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-19, 03:44 PM
alexchris1
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, mine had that noise to. I tightened the bolts that secures the front drive shafts and now, now more ticking when stopping and accelerating.
Old 08-07-19, 06:21 AM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmich
one side of front drive shaft .... near 1000 bucks :-(
Are you saying that it was a failing CV joint, and that the diagnosis and replacement cost was $1000? What caused the CV joint failure? Was the rubber boot that covers the CV joint damaged, allowing the grease to get contaminated?
The following users liked this post:
Rballcrime (08-01-20)
Old 08-16-19, 01:09 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

So I was back at the mechanic to look at this issue again, which has returned and was getting on my nerves because it was quite noticeable. Drove around the parking lot with the mechanic a couple times, and he drove around with another mechanic hanging out the window a few times too trying to figure this out. It was a challenge because the noise is really mostly noticeable only when the windows are down, and the sound echoes such that it's really tough to figure out exactly where its coming from sometimes it seems front, sometimes back, sometimes one side, and sometimes the other. They started by lubbing up the rear calipers, retested, no difference. Then onto the front and bingo, one of the slider pins on the front right caliper was worn out letting the caliper shift back and forth too much. Replaced the pin, silence is golden.

I originally had this problem a couple years ago, and the work order (I never did speak to the mechanic in that case) just said tighten frame bolts, but I suspect he must have tightened everything he could find and probably ended up doing a bit of maintenance on the calipers then too.
Old 08-26-19, 01:33 AM
Castor
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hi,

Guys just check the exhaust pipe, I had the same problem, a ticking sound when stopping and starting to move, for a month I could not find the reason, lub everything, everything was extended, changed the brake discs and pads, performed brake maintenance, lubrication, cleaning, etc. several car services and different masters could not find the reason, then one master lay down under the car and I began to move back and forth and he saw how the central part of the exhaust pipe breaks out under load, any way, changed the central ring of the exhaust pipe, and enjoying the silence, it was ok and has no damage, but had a wear due to which the two parts of the pipe banging against each other when the motor is moved during the stop and start of motion.
Original part number: GASKET, EXHAUST PIPE, NO.2 03.2012- 17451-28040

The following 3 users liked this post by Castor:
alisher (06-23-20), Rballcrime (08-01-20), sukwan (10-21-22)
Old 05-23-20, 10:11 PM
MikeTsang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xvimalx
Its not a continued clicking. Just one click as you come to a stop and one click as you speed up. It has gone away on my car so I'm happy about it. It was a simple reset of the axle and lube the joints/connections. I bet if I took it to the dealer it would've been a $3K repair since they would've preferred to just replace the axles.

Happy to discuss further for those who are experiencing the annoying click!

I have the exact issue you are decribing. Can you please provide details of how to reset the axle and lube the joints connections. Did you have to take the axle apart or anything else apart?

Thanks for the advice in advance.
Old 06-21-20, 11:34 AM
Mike246
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

fdxhafdxhawk836 - there is a separate forum section for the IS250C which you will find most useful.

I have a 2010 IS250-C which is a wonderful car to drive!
Old 02-27-21, 03:23 AM
OneOffBear
Driver School Candidate

Default I finally got the clicking fixed

The noise ended up being as simple as a both it was loose on the frame under the RX450h... I'm not sure the exact bolt because Lexus performed the fix... It has been 15,000 miles and the noise still has not returned... I had some other work done besides this at the same time so they only ended up charging me like $50 to diagnose and fixed it...
Old 02-11-22, 03:12 PM
bliverson
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 RX400h clicking in dash

I am having the same issue it just started A-day or 2 ago. It sounds like it when I used to close pin a playing card to my bicycle spokes. Anyone find a fix or any info?

Originally Posted by xvimalx
I'm having the same issue. Anyone resolve this?
Old 12-22-23, 05:36 PM
vktoora
1st Gear

Hi John

I am having exactly the same issue in my Lexus. No clicking sound in neutral. I was wondering what could be the reason. Did you find any solution to this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. This is driving me nuts.

Regards
Vivek
Old 12-22-23, 07:09 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by vktoora
Hi John

I am having exactly the same issue in my Lexus. No clicking sound in neutral. I was wondering what could be the reason. Did you find any solution to this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. This is driving me nuts.

Regards
Vivek
This thread has multiple sources identified. Axle bolts, exhaust, frame/suspension bolts.

Conclusion I draw is there is not a common source.

FYI: If you take or took your Lexus for service, they are supposed to check frame/suspension bolts. To this day I have not been able to get the list/identifcation of these bolts in 5 different Lexus I have owned. Any Lexus/Toyota tech on line? Please help.

Salim
Old 03-31-24, 12:28 PM
TxRX450h
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

- 2012 RX 450h FWD with ~140,000 miles
- Told dealer there is a clicking noise when braking to and accelerating from complete stop (started at ~137,000 miles).
- From dealer:
- Found left front axle to be clicking when accelerating.
- Removed both front axles from the hubs.
- Cleaned & lubricated both front axle splines
- Performed four wheel alignment
(recommended after axle spline cleaning)
- Test drove vehicle and verified noise is no longer present.

- Expensive fix (~$900 all in), but no more noise

##

Originally Posted by salimshah
This thread has multiple sources identified. Axle bolts, exhaust, frame/suspension bolts.

Conclusion I draw is there is not a common source.

FYI: If you take or took your Lexus for service, they are supposed to check frame/suspension bolts. To this day I have not been able to get the list/identifcation of these bolts in 5 different Lexus I have owned. Any Lexus/Toyota tech on line? Please help.

Salim

Last edited by TxRX450h; 04-01-24 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 03-31-24, 03:41 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by TxRX450h
- 2012 RX 450h with ~140,000 miles
- Told dealer there is a clicking noise when braking to and accelerating from complete stop (started at ~137,000 miles).
- From dealer:
- Found left front axle to be clicking when accelerating.
- Removed both from axles from the hubs.
- Cleaned & lubricated both front axle splines
- Performed four wheel alignment
(recommended after axle spline cleaning)
- Test drove vehicle and verified noise is no longer present.

- Expensive fix (~$900 all in), but no more noise

##

Thank you for sharing and after the disassembly of the suspension wheel alignment is recommended. I personally am not aware how spline cleaning service * will eliminate sound ... but am glad that the problem is gone and I hope it does not return.

Salim
* Maybe a member can explain.