Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Coolant Flush Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-18, 07:02 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Coolant Change Procedure

Hey Guys:

Have a 2013 RX450h with approx 112k on the clock. Want to do a coolant flush on it. Anyone know the procedure for this?

Also, was considering doing the hybrid coolant as well. What coolant is used here and what is the procedure for replacement of it?

Finally, CVT fluid, is it recommended to be changed at this juncture and if so, what is the procedure for that?

If someone has shop instructions/ service manual pages, would greatly appreciate if you could post these.

Thanks!!

Last edited by Nauticalx; 04-24-18 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-23-18, 08:12 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Why flush? Has the current been contaminated.

When you flush, you are using something to rinse out majority of the old and then fill with the new. You end up with a portion of the rinsing agent. For rinsing you can use a cleaning agent or use the final fluid as rinsing agent. If you plan to use the final fluid as rinsing agent, just do more frequent drain and fills.

Personally I suggest against flushes unless there has been contamination.

CVT fluid flush again does not make sense for RxH as there is no torque converter. Rational for doing a flush on vehicles with torque convertor is that a good portion of fluid remains in the torque convertor when you simply drain.

One of the key learning for DIYers is to know what to do and what not to do. I am for minimalistic intrusion.

Salim
PS: Sorry that I questioned your question instead of giving you an answer you sought.

Last edited by salimshah; 04-23-18 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-24-18, 09:20 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Originally Posted by salimshah
Why flush? Has the current been contaminated.

When you flush, you are using something to rinse out majority of the old and then fill with the new. You end up with a portion of the rinsing agent. For rinsing you can use a cleaning agent or use the final fluid as rinsing agent. If you plan to use the final fluid as rinsing agent, just do more frequent drain and fills.

Personally I suggest against flushes unless there has been contamination.

CVT fluid flush again does not make sense for RxH as there is no torque converter. Rational for doing a flush on vehicles with torque convertor is that a good portion of fluid remains in the torque convertor when you simply drain.

One of the key learning for DIYers is to know what to do and what not to do. I am for minimalistic intrusion.

Salim
PS: Sorry that I questioned your question instead of giving you an answer you sought.
Thanks for the response. Sorry, I did mean drain and fill rather than flush.

What is the procedure for drain and fill of the engine coolant, and for the hybrid coolant?

What is the procedure for drain and fill CVT fluid?

Wish to drain and fill both due to mileage of vehicle.
Old 04-24-18, 07:00 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

There are videos and descriptions on the net. Try the search feature on CL or even on the net.

Salim
Old 04-25-18, 07:03 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Originally Posted by salimshah
There are videos and descriptions on the net. Try the search feature on CL or even on the net.

Salim
Thanks for the response. I always run checks before posting but didn't find any guidance, and certainly no videos, relating to the RX450h system. As that is different from the much more common RX350 system. So I posted here in the Hybrid Section for specific guidance on this system.
Old 04-25-18, 07:09 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

For example, found this post which only reflects and links to a video applying to the 350.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ng-life-2.html

Would like to find out drain and fill procedure for coolant, engine and hybrid systems.

Drain and fill procedure for hybrid cvt, and hybrid rear differential (motor) for AWD RX450h.
Old 04-25-18, 07:59 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

The cooling system isn't that much different on the RX450h...this is from the RX450h manual.

7. DRAIN ENGINE COOLANT (for Engine)

NOTICE:
Do not remove the radiator cap, cylinder block drain **** plugs and radiator drain **** plug while the engine and radiator are still
hot. Pressurized hot engine coolant and steam may be released and cause serious burns.

(a) Loosen the radiator drain **** plug and drain the coolant.

HINT
Collect the coolant in a container and dispose of it according to the regulations in your area.

(b) Remove the radiator cap from the radiator assembly.

(c) Loosen the 2 cylinder block drain **** plugs

8.ADD ENGINE COOLANT (for Engine)

(a) Tighten the radiator drain **** plug by hand.

(b) Tighten the 2 cylinder block drain **** plugs.

Torque : 13 Nm (130 kgf-cm, 9 ft-lbf

The following users liked this post:
Nauticalx (04-25-18)
Old 04-25-18, 04:58 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
The cooling system isn't that much different on the RX450h...this is from the RX450h manual.

7. DRAIN ENGINE COOLANT (for Engine)

NOTICE:
Do not remove the radiator cap, cylinder block drain **** plugs and radiator drain **** plug while the engine and radiator are still
hot. Pressurized hot engine coolant and steam may be released and cause serious burns.

(a) Loosen the radiator drain **** plug and drain the coolant.

HINT
Collect the coolant in a container and dispose of it according to the regulations in your area.

(b) Remove the radiator cap from the radiator assembly.

(c) Loosen the 2 cylinder block drain **** plugs

8.ADD ENGINE COOLANT (for Engine)

(a) Tighten the radiator drain **** plug by hand.

(b) Tighten the 2 cylinder block drain **** plugs.

Torque : 13 Nm (130 kgf-cm, 9 ft-lbf

Awesome , thanks! Do you have coolant drain and fill procedure for hybrid system? Is it the same coolant as the engine?
Old 04-25-18, 06:17 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
Awesome , thanks! Do you have coolant drain and fill procedure for hybrid system? Is it the same coolant as the engine?
I just posted it."The cooling system isn't that much different on the RX450h...this is from the RX450h manual."

I dont know what you mean coolant for "hybrid system" the 450h has a gasoline hybrid engine system...the other half of the gasoline part is a battery pack. There are no additional cooling systems other than electrical fans on the vehicle.
Old 04-25-18, 07:34 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

there are two separate coolant capacities for two separate cooling systems in the RX450h. 1) engine 2) Power control unit
tempestv8 (04-05-22)
Old 04-25-18, 09:23 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

I didn't see any reference in the cooling section in the online manual I sourced the instruction from but I stand corrected. After researching a bit more the other Toyota hybrid offerings they refer the other coolant capacity to the inverter whereas other sources call the PCU.

under the car you should locate the transmission drain plug (driver's side)..the unit next to it ,closer to the passenger side with another plug is the inverter drain plug. Drain, retorque to spec and refill up top.
Nauticalx (04-26-18)
Old 04-26-18, 06:08 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
I didn't see any reference in the cooling section in the online manual I sourced the instruction from but I stand corrected. After researching a bit more the other Toyota hybrid offerings they refer the other coolant capacity to the inverter whereas other sources call the PCU.

under the car you should locate the transmission drain plug (driver's side)..the unit next to it ,closer to the passenger side with another plug is the inverter drain plug. Drain, retorque to spec and refill up top.
Awesome, thanks! Any idea what the drain and refill technique is for the CVT? And for the rear motor/differential?
Old 04-26-18, 11:02 AM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
Awesome, thanks! Any idea what the drain and refill technique is for the CVT? And for the rear motor/differential?
This should help: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...nterval-3.html
Nauticalx (04-27-18)
Old 04-27-18, 12:13 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Originally Posted by tempestv8
Awesome! thanks! Searched but missed that thread. Probably because the title is a little unique on it.
Old 04-28-18, 12:04 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Back on topic re coolant flushing of the hybrid transaxle, it would be pretty similar to the Prius:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vsvZVVEveyg

Quick Reply: Coolant Flush Procedure