Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Shopping for used 450H and Towing

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-18, 04:53 PM
tfherbert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shopping for used 450H and Towing

Hello,
I have been shopping online, looking for used 2011 or newer AWD 450H. My question is about pre-tow. I have been decoding VIN numbers for used Lexus and although features on the car don't list pre-tow package, the specs show towing capacity consistent with 450H with pre towing package. Do all 450H AWD's effectively have the pre-towing package or does the VIN decoder list generic specs?

Dead Weight Hitch - Max Trailer Wt.3500 lbs 3500.0 min 3500.0 max
Dead Weight Hitch - Max Tongue Wt.350 lbs 350.0 min 350.0 max
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt.3500 lbs 3500.0 min 3500.0 max
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Tongue Wt.350 lbs 350.0 min 350.0 max

The VIN I am decoding is JTJBC1BA2B2416003 from a car advertised online.
The VIN decoder I am using is on this forum, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/vin...inDecoderFarea

Thanks very much,
--Tom
1999 Benz 300D, 2002 Ford Ranger, 2006 Toyota Corolla, 1974 Saab 99EMS, 1967 Saab 96, etc...
Old 04-06-18, 05:56 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

I used to tow many different camping trailers when kids young to go camping 4 seasons. I always maintained at least 10% safety margin from max. rating. Those ratings are when vehicle is really properly equipped.
I am sort of safety maniac. Always I put safety first when I do something. For over 30 years did not have towing related accident or breakdown on the road. I am 78 now. started driving when I was 16 years old. So far it was an accident free driving(knock on the wood). I used to have 2015 RX450h but it did not need to tow anything. Just look at the rear axle and compare it to regular RX350. If you will tow on rugged or hilly terrain good luck with 450h which is FWD vehicle. IMO, real towing is done with a real truck. All depends on what to tow with 450h.

Last edited by Htony; 04-06-18 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-06-18, 11:58 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

X2. I wouldn't tow anything more than a small 10 X 12 open utility trailer (not with the RX). I would not load up on anything close to the max rating. I think the 10% safety rule is EXCELLENT. Keep in mind that the RX is a unibody based. Whereas the GX and the LX is ladder frame truck based with permanent 4 wheel drive.

The real problem is the increased stopping distance. As you increase the load/speed/downhill the longer it will take you to come to a complete stop (never mind emergency situations which you really can not out manuver anyways. You can only pray).

Originally Posted by Htony
I used to tow many different camping trailers when kids young to go camping 4 seasons. I always maintained at least 10% safety margin from max. rating. Those ratings are when vehicle is really properly equipped.
I am sort of safety maniac. Always I put safety first when I do something. For over 30 years did not have towing related accident or breakdown on the road. I am 78 now. started driving when I was 16 years old. So far it was an accident free driving(knock on the wood). I used to have 2015 RX450h but it did not need to tow anything. Just look at the rear axle and compare it to regular RX350. If you will tow on rugged or hilly terrain good luck with 450h which is FWD vehicle. IMO, real towing is done with a real truck. All depends on what to tow with 450h.
Old 04-07-18, 07:34 AM
tfherbert
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusrus
X2. I wouldn't tow anything more than a small 10 X 12 open utility trailer (not with the RX). I would not load up on anything close to the max rating. I think the 10% safety rule is EXCELLENT. Keep in mind that the RX is a unibody based. Whereas the GX and the LX is ladder frame truck based with permanent 4 wheel drive.

The real problem is the increased stopping distance. As you increase the load/speed/downhill the longer it will take you to come to a complete stop (never mind emergency situations which you really can not out manuver anyways. You can only pray).
Thanks.

However, my question wasn't whether or not to tow with the RX450H. My question is determining the towing specs of a car on the used market before purchasing.
Do all RX450H AWD models sold in NA have the same towing specs or is there an optional pre-tow package and can I definitively determine whether or not the pre-tow package was installed by decoding the VIN.
Old 04-07-18, 09:49 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I towed a horse trailer for many years behind a Mercury Mountaineer, I haven't towed anything behind my 450h yet, but see no reason why it wouldn't do a fine job as long as the weight limitation was satisfied. I don't see braking as an issue, because the trailer will have brakes also.
Old 04-08-18, 05:52 AM
jrfiero
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tfherbert -
No, not all NA AWD 450hs have the towing prep package. As you probably know, those without have a 2000 lb recommended towing limit, and those with have a 3500 lb limit. My 2013 AWD does not have the package. I tow a 3000 lb trailer anyway.
I can’t help with the VIN decoding.
You’ll find comments that if there are vents in the front driver’s wheel well it means you have an auxiliary trans cooler and therefore the towing prep package, but that’s not true - some with the vents don’t have the cooler.

riredale -
little trailers ~3000 lbs rarely have brakes. The 450h has plenty of braking for towing a 3000 lb trailer, and the brakes aren’t upgraded with the towing package.
Old 05-17-18, 10:59 AM
talespin
Driver School Candidate

The RX 450h AWD has a 3500 lb tow capacity in the US but a 4400 lb ( 2000kg ) tow capcity in the UK...? Does anyone know why this is...? talespin
Old 05-20-18, 06:09 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by tfherbert
Thanks.

However, my question wasn't whether or not to tow with the RX450H. My question is determining the towing specs of a car on the used market before purchasing.
Do all RX450H AWD models sold in NA have the same towing specs or is there an optional pre-tow package and can I definitively determine whether or not the pre-tow package was installed by decoding the VIN.
After EXTENSIVE discussion of this topic, by Highlander Hybrid owners, which is SAME vehicle, consensus is - 3500 lb is listed towing capacity, do at your own risk. You can go to toyotanation HiHy section, it's in stickies. PAGES of discussions, real life stories and, of course, opinions. Only remeber one very important thing - rear drive is full electric. That's if you decide to use boat in salty water.
Old 05-20-18, 04:22 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by tfherbert
Hello,
I have been shopping online, looking for used 2011 or newer AWD 450H. My question is about pre-tow.
Hi Tom,

Perhaps a lack of familiarisation with terminology on my part, so I have to ask, what do you mean "pre-tow"?

Can I ask - what are you planning on towing with a RX450h and how often will that be? What sort of terrain will it be driven over?

Whilst an "AWD", the RX450h does not have a mechanical link between the front axle and the rear - it's like having two separate drivetrains on the 450h, the rear being electric only, whereas the front is hybrid.

Unlike the RX350, there is no center differential lock between the front and rear, hence the RX450h is no where near as capable as the RX350 on loose, or slippery surfaces.

Last edited by tempestv8; 05-21-18 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 05-21-18, 05:34 AM
tus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jrfiero
Tfherbert -
No, not all NA AWD 450hs have the towing prep package. As you probably know, those without have a 2000 lb recommended towing limit, and those with have a 3500 lb limit. My 2013 AWD does not have the package. I tow a 3000 lb trailer anyway.
I can’t help with the VIN decoding.
You’ll find comments that if there are vents in the front driver’s wheel well it means you have an auxiliary trans cooler and therefore the towing prep package, but that’s not true - some with the vents don’t have the cooler.

riredale -
little trailers ~3000 lbs rarely have brakes. The 450h has plenty of braking for towing a 3000 lb trailer, and the brakes aren’t upgraded with the towing package.
The question I can't get an answer for is, does the 450h drive train even have an optional transmission cooler? Hopefully there is someone here who ordered their 3rd Gen 450h new with the tow package and can take a look to see if they have one installed.

I've looked at several examples which have what appears to be the factory receiver and have never found a transmission cooler in front of the driver side front tire, so I've been wondering if it is even an option or necessary for the PSD v.s. the regular transmission in the 350.

FWIW, I know the receiver was added to my '13 450h after the fact. I tow my 5x8 enclosed trailer on a regular basis with no problems, but the max weight would probably be right around 2000lbs. On occasion I pull my ~3500lbs boat short distances and at low speeds (<5 miles under 40mph) without any problems, although I did experience the only electric drive in reverse issue once when trying to back the thing up at the marina when I brought the boat in for service.
Old 05-21-18, 10:28 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

tus, the optional tow package does come with the transmission oil cooler. Not the best picture but you can see part of it in the picture from when I had my fog lights changed out on my 2010 RX450h. The driver side fender liner had to be partially removed.
Old 05-21-18, 11:54 AM
tus
Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz

tus, the optional tow package does come with the transmission oil cooler. Not the best picture but you can see part of it in the picture from when I had my fog lights changed out on my 2010 RX450h. The driver side fender liner had to be partially removed.
I could be wrong here, but isn't that the engine oil cooler?

I believe I've seen it on every RX I've looked at, including mine which did not come with the tow package, and others that do not have a receiver for a hitch.
Old 05-21-18, 02:19 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by tus
The question I can't get an answer for is, does the 450h drive train even have an optional transmission cooler? Hopefully there is someone here who ordered their 3rd Gen 450h new with the tow package and can take a look to see if they have one installed.

I've looked at several examples which have what appears to be the factory receiver and have never found a transmission cooler in front of the driver side front tire, so I've been wondering if it is even an option or necessary for the PSD v.s. the regular transmission in the 350.

FWIW, I know the receiver was added to my '13 450h after the fact. I tow my 5x8 enclosed trailer on a regular basis with no problems, but the max weight would probably be right around 2000lbs. On occasion I pull my ~3500lbs boat short distances and at low speeds (<5 miles under 40mph) without any problems, although I did experience the only electric drive in reverse issue once when trying to back the thing up at the marina when I brought the boat in for service.
Regarding factory tow package, hear from Horse's mouth, Lexus dealer. Ask them. Talking about towing, I won't even think about using FWD vehicle. Think safety margin. I have ~30 year's experience pulling32 feet , 7200 lbs. 5th wheel trailer on all kinds of terrain. Looking back I was lucky during that time, no accident, being stranded on the road, even a flat tire. No matter what you tow, you need different set of driving skills.
Old 05-21-18, 02:35 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by tus
I could be wrong here, but isn't that the engine oil cooler?

I believe I've seen it on every RX I've looked at, including mine which did not come with the tow package, and others that do not have a receiver for a hitch.
Check out this thread.
Old 05-21-18, 03:12 PM
tus
Driver

Originally Posted by Htony
Regarding factory tow package, hear from Horse's mouth, Lexus dealer. Ask them. Talking about towing, I won't even think about using FWD vehicle. Think safety margin. I have ~30 year's experience pulling32 feet , 7200 lbs. 5th wheel trailer on all kinds of terrain. Looking back I was lucky during that time, no accident, being stranded on the road, even a flat tire. No matter what you tow, you need different set of driving skills.
Funny thing is I've asked 2 different dealers and got two different answers. I guess there is no parts list in the brochures that the sales guys memorize, and the parts guys can't find anything for the hybrid except the wiring harnesses/module and receiver. Maybe someone else has a more knowledgeable dealer and can get a better answer.

For the RX, light towing is fine but I wouldn't use it for much over 2000lbs if I had to go any distance. My trailer is around 780lbs empty and I probably never load more than another 500lbs when hauling various appliances, yard supplies, and random stuff for friends who are moving. The biggest thing that goes in the trailer is the lawn tractor, which weighs in at a little under 1100lbs. At just under $2k for the trailer, it really has been a pretty cost effective substitute for yet another vehicle in the form of a full size truck with a 4x8 bed.

I do use the RX twice a year to launch the boat in the spring and pull it out in the fall, but as I live on the lake the speed never gets over 10mph and the total distance is around 750ft. When taking it to other lakes or to the shop I usually borrow an F150 or 4Runner, but over the years I've taken it the 5 mile trip to the marina to get fixed with the RX two or three times. It does work, but as you said, you have to be careful and aware of what you're doing.

Quick Reply: Shopping for used 450H and Towing