Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

12v Gs450h battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-18, 05:51 AM
lucaman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12v Gs450h battery replacement

Hi to everybody. Is it right I can change on my own my battery, with a 70amp one's? No problem with the hibryd system?
Old 02-12-18, 05:34 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

You can change your battery. Not sure about Amp specs. I cant see it being a problem though.
Old 04-17-18, 05:19 PM
alexus77
Driver School Candidate

Is the OEM battery a traditional AGM or an advanced AGM

My situation (bought the NOCO Genius 7200 charger):

Hello All, I am hoping that someone here can help me by answering this question. I have called lexus (2 dealerships) and they do not know (concerning?) You would imagine they know how to properly charge the battery without damaging it. I have also tried googling without finding the answer

Is the OEM Panasonic AGM in the RX450h 2014 year, an "advanced AGM'' or a ''traditional AGM''. I want to charge it and I have a special AGM battery charger but you have to correctly pick this. It even warns with the ''advanced AGM'' as it charges at a higher 15.6V vs the 14.5V.."Caution use this mode with care. THIs mode is for 12-Volt Lead-Acid Advanced AGM Batteries only. THIs mode uses a high charging voltage and may cause some water loss in wet (flooded) cell batteries or overcharge in some batteries. While i didnt think this was a Lead-Acid AGM could be wrong, it does say that ''Advanced AGM batteries are a new battery technology typically found in start-stop micro-hybrid vehicles. Does anyone know for certain what type this is?

Also what is the actual warranty policy on these original OEM batteries from time of purchase of the car... 3 dealerships have told me 3 different answers and quoted me 3 very different prices on the battery.

Please and Thank you in advance.
Old 12-28-18, 07:55 AM
avinnc
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone found a suitable aftermarket replacement for the Panasonic S65D26L Battery (57 AH) - $327 from the dealer... From what I’ve found it looks to be a group 24 battery.... Group 34 is the correct size, but looks like the terminals are reversed.

Thanks!!

BTW.... I’ll check back in if I find a replacement.

Old 12-30-18, 03:57 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I dont believe there are any 100% replacements, most have to re use the vent hose. But there are similar AGM batteries for half the price.

BTW I never heard of advanced AGM. I would charge it on regular lower AGM setting.

Last edited by samsonn25; 12-30-18 at 04:25 AM.
Old 01-05-19, 11:55 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

I got a Duracell AGM 35/85 battery from Sam's Club for $150 and it works just fine in my GS450h.
The following 3 users liked this post by chrispy:
avinnc (01-28-19), Bluetheron (06-22-20), hybridguru (09-26-21)
Old 02-09-19, 08:31 PM
Gunspeed
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispy
I got a Duracell AGM 35/85 battery from Sam's Club for $150 and it works just fine in my GS450h.
Got pics ?
Old 06-06-20, 08:59 AM
Higayon
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the OEM replacement from Lexus in January 2019. it has failed and Lexus says that because it is used in a hybrid it only had a 1 year warranty, with no proration. Since you purchased your Duracell around the same time as I purchased the Panasonic I was wondering how has your Duracell lasted?
Old 06-06-20, 09:09 PM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts

That is a bunch of bull on the one year thing. In fact, it works less than a normal battery is what I have read here. Does your documentation say one year warranty?
Old 06-07-20, 04:58 AM
Higayon
Driver School Candidate

I don’t like the service department at my local Lexus dealership. So I had a repair shop buy the battery from Lexus and install it. After it failed the dealership told us it only had a one year warranty. I called Lexus assist and they conference called with the dealer. The parts manager from the dealer said that it only had a one year warranty despite their online ad that stated 2 year full warranty and 84 month prorated. The online ad does not state any exclusions for hybrid cars. Here is their ad. I asked for documentation and he said if was written on the invoice. I checked and this was not true.

I opened a case with Lexus assist. After a few days they replied that they turned it over to the warranty department who said the dealer was correct. Once again I asked for documentation. The case manager said that there was none. How did the warranty department research and come to a conclusion is there is no documentation other than their ad? Why don’t they honor their claims in the ad? I’ve requested a letter stating that it only has a one year warranty so that I can get the extended warranty from my credit card. However, this is proving to be a challenge as well. I am very disappointed in Lexus.
Old 06-08-20, 08:33 AM
Gunspeed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Higayon
I bought the OEM replacement from Lexus in January 2019. it has failed and Lexus says that because it is used in a hybrid it only had a 1 year warranty, with no proration. Since you purchased your Duracell around the same time as I purchased the Panasonic I was wondering how has your Duracell lasted?

Yes, it has lasted and going strong. I hope Lexus takes care of you buddy.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gunspeed:
Bluetheron (06-20-20), Higayon (07-03-20)
Old 06-14-20, 07:55 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

My wife and I just bought a 06 RX400h and a few days after my son tried to start and no READY in display. I jump started and it came up right away.

So if you ever see not getting a ready indication, first reaction should be to check the 12V battery. It has to power up the electronics and the inverter so the motor generators can start the car.

The RX400h takes a tiny 500CCA battery, looks like for my lawn tractor only car like terminals. Can hold it easily with one hand, grabbing it from the top.

I got it at the Lexus dealer for $119 (actually my son works there, got it for $99).
Old 07-03-20, 02:06 PM
Higayon
Driver School Candidate

I purchased the Duracell at Batteries Plus. They installed it in 5 minutes and everything is great. They connected everything just as it is on the Panasonic, so there was no need for the taped connections you show in your photo.

It has a much better warranty than the Panasonic from Lexus. And its specs are also much better.
The following users liked this post:
Bluetheron (07-04-20)
Old 07-06-20, 06:12 AM
Gunspeed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Higayon
I purchased the Duracell at Batteries Plus. They installed it in 5 minutes and everything is great. They connected everything just as it is on the Panasonic, so there was no need for the taped connections you show in your photo.

It has a much better warranty than the Panasonic from Lexus. And its specs are also much better.
Please post your exact battery model number for the gs450h forum guys. =)
Old 07-06-20, 06:20 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The RX400h gets a group 51R. The local Lexus dealer gets batteries from Interstate that are Lexus branded. I’ve never seen a Panasonic car battery other than the OEM factory installed one I pulled out of my son in laws 2012 IS250 last November.

Originally Posted by Gunspeed
Please post your exact battery model number for the gs450h forum guys. =)

Quick Reply: 12v Gs450h battery replacement