Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

2008 with 150k

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-18, 06:53 AM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2008 with 150k

The cars going for a great price, should I jump on it? Checked lexus drivers and it had the ipm replaced at 87k and don't think it's had any major maintenance since. Was thinking of having it inspected at a lexus/toyota dealer prior to purchase.

any thoughts?
Old 01-02-18, 11:44 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

well.. if it's $5k yes.. $50k no... how much is it?
Old 01-02-18, 03:58 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Old 01-03-18, 02:03 PM
Weighit
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow that is really low priced, I would have to wonder why? What is wrong, what does it need, how was it taken care of? Body condition, interior shape, windshield chipped/cracked, tires good or shot. Everything is repairable but at what cost. Might be a great deal...
Old 01-03-18, 07:56 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Meh.... You always get what you paid for. Too many miles, too low a price, chances of hybrid battery go wrong soon high. Meh...
Old 01-03-18, 08:26 PM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Meh.... You always get what you paid for. Too many miles, too low a price, chances of hybrid battery go wrong soon high. Meh...
mines at over 240k miles...no issues with the hybrid battery.
The following users liked this post:
professorm (07-12-18)
Old 01-03-18, 10:37 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

I'm getting an inspection done before hand. Miles are on the high side but if everything checks out I'd say it's a steal
Old 01-06-18, 07:12 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Sure. As far as they do hybrid battery cells state of charge test. Will they?
"mine is" does not work for me. Mine is is not his will be. One never knows. It's like stock market - one car performance is not indication of the another car one.
Thing is, GOOD cars are keepers. They are very hard to come by and no one really sells GOOD cars.
That said, common sense wise, 150 000 K and 11 years on ticker produce high probability of potential very expensive hybrid system related repairs on a vehicle that is out of warranty. That's my dos centavos. As Brits say, we are not rich enough to buy cheap things.
Old 01-16-18, 12:13 PM
danthedj
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Sure. As far as they do hybrid battery cells state of charge test. Will they?
"mine is" does not work for me. Mine is is not his will be. One never knows. It's like stock market - one car performance is not indication of the another car one.
Thing is, GOOD cars are keepers. They are very hard to come by and no one really sells GOOD cars.
That said, common sense wise, 150 000 K and 11 years on ticker produce high probability of potential very expensive hybrid system related repairs on a vehicle that is out of warranty. That's my dos centavos. As Brits say, we are not rich enough to buy cheap things.
Do you know anything about hybrids, or are you simply trying to say "I don't know anything about this new fangled technology the kids are using so it must be crappy"?

There have been very few (single digits) owners who have had to replace their traction battery in their RXh, and most were very early on (<40k) at that. These cars are 12+ years old, so if batteries were starting to fail left and right, surely we'd be hearing about it, no?

Out of curiosity, do you own an RXh?
Old 01-16-18, 05:16 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I believe you buy what you feel you are comfortable with, We are just giving the plus and minus of high mileage cars. Ours has 218k miles and still going fine (knock on wood) but I fully expect the unexpected to happen probably when my finances at low and at the wrong time. That is why most people trade or sell them at around 100k miles.
Old 01-31-18, 07:13 AM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by danthedj
Do you know anything about hybrids, or are you simply trying to say "I don't know anything about this new fangled technology the kids are using so it must be crappy"?

There have been very few (single digits) owners who have had to replace their traction battery in their RXh, and most were very early on (<40k) at that. These cars are 12+ years old, so if batteries were starting to fail left and right, surely we'd be hearing about it, no?

Out of curiosity, do you own an RXh?
Step back! He's just trying to help the guy out.I agree with you about the battery but why not have it tested like Ukrkoz says?You cannot have too much info on a used car--especially these. And let's face it , EVERYTHING in this sub-forum is out of warranty.I picked up my Rxh from a Lexus dealer but it was 'As Is'.Didn't know it at the time but rear calipers were seized. I learned alot about Techstream after that. So much in fact i wonder, in hindsight, if those calipers were seized after all. Maybe techstream could've given me some insight but they were R&R'd before i got to the program.Anyway, we're all here to offer any advice we can and ultimately it's up to us to filter that info.Some people just don't like holding onto cars forever no matter how uneventful the car has been.The only thing i didn't pick up on is how many miles on it now?As i write this, i stop and reflect on my Rxh and i would not buy a hybrid NOW knowing what i do NOW but i did and i am going to enjoy the experience(hopefully) or make the best of it.
Old 01-31-18, 08:10 AM
TommyTT
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Why not buy a hybrid?

Originally Posted by daddiojigg
.s i write this, i stop and reflect on my Rxh and i would not buy a hybrid NOW knowing what i do NOW but i did and i am going to enjoy the experience(hopefully) or make the best of it.
What about the hybrid is it you don't like? Love mine 2008 RX400h for acceleration when needed and sometimes just for fun plus gas mileage. But gas cost is Cheap and will be for many years.
Wife has a 2012 Prius too bot new. She/we love it.
Thanks
Tommy
Old 01-31-18, 02:44 PM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Default ya, i knew that would spark some questions

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE my Rxh BUT i think i would be just as happy with a standard fuel sucker.I like the 'trickiness' of the hybrid and all the standard equipment it comes with but i don't think it is worth the extra money when new.Now i didn't pay new and i probably got it cheaper than i would have had it been an Rx350 but all the unknowns(battery life, rear brakes and just working with a charged vehicle) AND the fact that my wife's Rx gets BETTER mileage than my Rxh. I may need to change the sparkplugs in the spring and maybe that will correct my mileage(getting about 23mpg combined) but for the extra money that a hybrid cost at the initial sale , i don't think it was worth it.But that's someone else's problem as i said i bought used.In fact the guy who bought mine initially paid more for one of the option packages than i did for the WHOLE car! Any repair in the rear that involves touching the calipers will , more than likely, need the techstream software to reset or you will not have any rears brakes. You cannot bleed the rears without it. I do , however , think the 3.3 is a more reliable engine than the 3.5 and the 3.5 is no slouch.
Alex:i'm sorry. I missed your mileage in the title(duh).150k is about what i have and you're just looking at regular items from here on in--except that battery.Many guys on this site have a lot more mileage than me.As danthedj says we're all waiting to hear of electric failures.Not wishing just waiting but as of yet....(don't want to jinx anything).
Oh yeah, the plugs on these are a B@#$!%.
Old 02-02-18, 09:56 AM
TommyTT
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by daddiojigg
) AND the fact that my wife's Rx gets BETTER mileage than my Rxh. I may need to change the sparkplugs in the spring and maybe that will correct my mileage(getting about 23mpg combined) Any repair in the rear that involves touching the calipers will , more than likely, need the techstream software to reset or you will not have any rears brakes. You cannot bleed the rears without it. I do , however , think the 3.3 is a more reliable engine than the 3.5 and the 3.5 is no slouch.
Oh yeah, the plugs on these are a B@#$!%.
Have you done this ISC reset:?

And this from:
  • 718 posts
  • Lexus Model: 2006 RX400h

Posted July 13, 2009

Lexus has a TSB regarding the ISC learning procedure. Supposedly the idle speed will be off if this is not done after the battery goes dead or is disconnected. Apparently, mileage may suffer if this is not done.___________________________________

Here's the TSB - EG010_05.pdfThe TSB says you need to hook the vehicle up to the Lexus diagnostic tester (which the dealer has and you don't) but I found a post here http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f31/400...ification-8126/that shows it can be done without the tester. The tester is needed to make sure the vehicle is 181 degrees or higher, which you can do by driving it for a decent amount of time with the engine (so no stealth driving to your destination in electric only mode - drive it like you stole it so it heats up). ___________________________________

The instructions are as follows -

This applies to the 2006 Highlander Hybrid also.

Note that you can probably perform the procedure yourself.The scan tool mentioned in the procedure checks the coolant temperature to make sure it is at full operating temperature and checks the engine loading to make sure the load is sufficient to charge the battery and finally checks the status of the ISC learning parameter. It is not necessary to monitor these parameters if you do the procedure carefully.1) Make sure the vehicle is fully warmed up. Do the procedure immediately following a long drive that runs the engine (highway speeds are best - not long gliding stealth runs at low speeds with the engine off). This will insure the coolant temp is at FULL operating temperature - it is not necessary to actually measure the coolant temperature if you warm up the engine sufficiently and don't let the engine shut down too long and cool off before doing the procedure.2) With the vehicle stopped and in drive, press firmly on the brake to keep the vehicle from moving and then step on the accelerator while watching the power meter (to the left of the speedometer). Press down on the accelerator to keep the needle between 1/2 and 3/4 up the scale. You will find that the engine management system will automatically limit the engine load no matter how far you press down on the pedal so the amount you press is not critical as long as it is either 1/2 scale or to the engine's self-limiting load value. Keep the engine loaded for a full 30 seconds but not longer than 40 seconds (this procedure brings the hybrid battery up to a maximum state of charge - if you watch the battery symbol, you willl see it tick up to a "full" display). 3) Shut off the engine and place it in park

4) Wait 5 seconds.

5) Turn the ignition key back on to display "ready"

6) make sure the A/C and heater system controls are set to off6) Lightly step on the accelerator pedal until the engine starts -then immediately take your foot off the accelerator and let the engine run until it stops by itself. This completes the procedure.
I did this and mine went from 23 mpg to 31mpg.
Just went for drive out on a 35 mile 2 lane road at 55mph and computer showed 31.7mpg. Know the computer is optimistic by about 3mpg but still 28.7 mpg is much better than 23 you are getting.
The following users liked this post:
DCEck (07-18-19)
Old 02-14-18, 04:09 PM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Yes tommy, i've done the reset.I was looking at something on the web and i thought i saw that the hybrid got WORSE mileage on the highway than in the city! That isn't my case and my mileage SEEMS to have gotten better since i changed out both rear hubs and bearings but ,like i said, i'd prefer to have a regular 350(with all the toys!--of course)