Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Does a 2015 RX 450H have any offroad ability?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-17, 04:07 PM
SaintLewis
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Does a 2015 RX 450H have any offroad ability?

Does a 2015 AWD RX 450H have any offroad capability or should I stick with a AWD 350. This would be mainly dirt roads. I'm not talking about Jeep trails.
Old 10-26-17, 08:32 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

I dont know how many owners have crawled under their RX ... but for 2011 450H, I did.

Worst part I discovered was the exhaust.There is a piping attached to it which is near the lowest part and there is no protection around it. [So if you stay on flat gravel road you would be ok]

Next bad thing (which may be in RX350 is the false panelling. They do give a stream line appearance, but they end up collecting leaves, pebbles and DIRT. This can not be washed off conveniently.

Additional weight of 450H .. Not a really bad problem but lighter vehicle would be more nimble.

Components: Comparing with first gen, more sheet metals is formed and welded as opposed to cast. [control arms]. This reduces weight but the component can get dents and welds can pop. So boulders or rocks can cause permanent damage.

Suspension if stiffer in 450H. Once again if the driving surface is smooth (free of bumps) 450H should be fine, but if the surface is bumpy, you may get tired in the 350, but but it will be less jarring.

Fuel tank capacity ... 450H may give you more time [different from distance travelled] in city driving, but out in the boonies, 350 may give you more miles per tankful.

Paint. You did not mention brush.

Last of all, one must always plan for a break down in any off-roading. I think either requires a flat bed and most likely all the way to the dealer.

Lexus disclaimer ... for 2011 Lexus states 450H is not intended for off roading.

Bottom line: If you will offload very infrequently, and on flat surface, you should be ok, but for avid off roading (either for enjoyment or necessity) think of another vehicle.

Salim
Old 10-27-17, 05:46 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Neither one is really suited for offroading, however, OP mentions dirt roads which shouldn't be an issue unless they're severely rutted, washboarded, etc. I wouldn't suspect much of a gain or loss with a 450h versus a 350. Their offroad capabilities are going to be more similar than different. For a significant gain consider an entirely different vehicle.
Old 10-27-17, 09:11 AM
tus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I would suspect the 450h and 350 would basically be the same when it comes down to going down dirt roads/off road performance. They pretty much share a common suspension, and both make enough power to get you going faster than you should be down an unimproved road

The only real difference I can see would be the potential problem with backing up a very steep incline with the 450h and it's electric motor only reverse.

Of course they are intended to be on the road so use some common sense about what you try to do, and drive within the limits of what it is.
Old 10-27-17, 12:34 PM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Anything more than flat dirt roads... start thinking "4Runner Limited".
Old 10-27-17, 07:16 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

The plumbing and valve on the exhaust is too open to damage for my taste - and the cost of the exhaust system will buy you a fairly useful used car.

The rear axle’s motor is air cooled - and may be subjected to excessive heating in rigorous use (yes, I saw that you’re not planning to compete in Austrailia’s maniac off-roads).

As for capable of running down dirt roads - I’d trust mine - but only as long as I could guarantee that nothing underneath got ‘snagged’ (judging from how well it does in the snow).
Old 10-27-17, 07:34 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by NateJG
The plumbing and valve on the exhaust is too open to damage for my taste - and the cost of the exhaust system will buy you a fairly useful used car.

The rear axle’s motor is air cooled - and may be subjected to excessive heating in rigorous use (yes, I saw that you’re not planning to compete in Austrailia’s maniac off-roads).

As for capable of running down dirt roads - I’d trust mine - but only as long as I could guarantee that nothing underneath got ‘snagged’ (judging from how well it does in the snow).
Is the exhaust plumbing unique to 450H? I dont have 350 to compare it with.

Salim
Old 10-28-17, 06:41 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by SaintLewis
Does a 2015 AWD RX 450H have any offroad capability or should I stick with a AWD 350. This would be mainly dirt roads. I'm not talking about Jeep trails.
Dirt roads if not deeply rutted OK Off-Road NO. They weren't made for off road, also the 4wd system is not conducive to good traction in that it's front wheel drive and only switches to 4wd when it detects slippage ) Seems like a lot of manufacturers are going this way. If you want more traction look at Subaru or any other system that operates in 4wd all the time.
Old 10-29-17, 09:25 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Is the exhaust plumbing unique to 450H? I dont have 350 to compare it with.

Salim
Significantly!

Engine coolant is routed to the exhaust and switched on/off through plumbing that is vulnerable under the front passenger seat. The module wholesales somewhere north of $3,500 IIRC.

The following 3 users liked this post by NateJG:
rns (12-09-17), salimshah (10-29-17), tempestv8 (02-26-18)
Old 10-31-17, 08:36 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Short answer is - NO. Neither vehicle you mentioned, OP, has any reasonable off road capability. Argue all you want to, it's a "luxury" SUV with AWD and locking diff on conventional RX. Don't have even that on hybrid. So don't really bother unless yur off road and my off road is completely different. You are not getting far without much beefier suspension, better ground clearance and, last but not least, mechanical 4WD with low gear transfer case.
I spoke.
Old 11-02-17, 08:45 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

It's got capacity. I've done some light off-roading on the beach in Outerbanks, NC.
Electric torque has advantage when standing from a standstill, be it on snow/ice or sand/mud.

However, as already pointed out, you really should be looking at the 4Runner. And the Limited edition, other than having AWD, also shares interior bits and pieces with the RX.
Old 11-02-17, 09:08 AM
SaintLewis
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thanks for the input

Thanks everyone - This has helped a bunch. I'm the new proud owner of a certified used 2016 RX350. I will let you know if I decide to get it dirty...
Attached Thumbnails Does a 2015 RX 450H have any offroad ability?-photo-nov-02-9-02-27-am.jpg  

Last edited by SaintLewis; 11-02-17 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-02-17, 02:51 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

I don't charge for splashing dirt on cars. Come on over. I have 1.5 acre of wetland, it's been raining, we'll get your baby doity fine. And I'll have my RAM handy just in case.
Old 11-02-17, 02:55 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

But see, you made a wise choice. RX350 has locking differential, what allows you to at least lock all four wheels. In hybrid, rear end is electric, so there is no way to lock all four together.

And this is pitiful:

Old 11-03-17, 06:24 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by SaintLewis
Thanks everyone - This has helped a bunch. I'm the new proud owner of a certified used 2016 RX350. I will let you know if I decide to get it dirty...
Great Choice !!! You'll be happy.

Quick Reply: Does a 2015 RX 450H have any offroad ability?