Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Regen of battery power when the batteries are fully charged

Old 10-18-17, 07:12 AM
AST300
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
One of the problem with electricity is that it needs to be put away (stored) or used.

Here is a hypothetical situation ... traction battery is fully charged. [it can't take more charge]. Now when you press the brake pedal there is no place to dump the electricity that is generated due to braking and thus there should not be any regen braking.

I have been trying to test this but I still see charge meter drop even when the battery is full .. leading me to think it never gets full.

Salim
For me, I seldom see a 100% full battery on my 2016 450h. I only see a full 8 bars on the battery charge when going down very long hills of 2 miles or longer. When the battery charge first hits 8 bars, there still appears to be re-generation occurring, and then after a a short time, the re-generation disappears. My interpretation is that when the battery charge first hits 8 bars of charge, the charge level is really at 90% +/-, and then when the charge truly hits 100%, the re-gen indication disappears. When re-gen disappears, I also see the engine speed suddenly go up from 1200-1500 to near 3000 rpm. This is also exactly what I've always experienced on my 2010 Prius.
Old 10-18-17, 11:11 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Buzzer479
Now I am asking my self if I am too concerned about mpg and gas saving and should I just drive it as a regular car ? I would like to see 30+ mpg but so far not very close.
This is a bit like asking which underwear is best fit. The answer, whichever way feels best to you. I personally tend to take things on a tank by tank basis. Some tanks I'll do my best to see how good I can get, and others I don't care too much, just have fun driving. Typically in the winter results get worse, so I tend to focus my extra efforts during nice weather. Sometimes in winter I've raced down the highway during really cold weather getting bad numbers like 12 to 13 (L/100km, that's like 2mpg or something bad , too lazy to convert) and other times I practice the rules in the video recently posted in this thread, and I've gotten as good as 7.4 which is over 30mpg. I recently did 3 tanks in a row with this number after moving to a new house with roads that allow more "gliding".

Speaking of gliding as per the video's pulse and glide training, if you haven't realized it yet, the 1st eco range of the hybrid meter is your glide range. If you're trying to glide while <= the magic "41mph" keep the needle in this first range. You can also glide above 41mph but it's a bit harder because the engine physically needs to spin above this speed. It can do so without gas maintaining speed above 41mph, but only in the very best of circumstances. The second ECO range is your EV mode range when turned on and speed < 25mph. This is less useful unless you spend a lot of time in parking garages. The only real advantage of EV is that you can get a little more acceleration especially from stop rather than simply trying to glide at these parking lot speeds.

Routinely getting 30+ mpg means routinely doing a lot of gliding.

Last edited by Droid13; 10-18-17 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-18-17, 08:28 PM
Buzzer479
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Droid13
I personally tend to take things on a tank by tank basis. Some tanks I'll do my best to see how good I can get, and others I don't care too much, just have fun driving..
Droid 13, Thanks for the reply.
I guess that is what I am going to do. Just go with the flow and occasionally see whats what numbers can I get. Did not get into the gliding much but will try later.
Also, I know its completely off topic, anyone knows how to prevent the driver seat and the steering wheel from retracting after shutting down the engine ? I guess it is done to make it easier to leave the car but it does the opposite for me.
Thanks for the input !
Old 10-20-17, 09:34 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Buzzer479
anyone knows how to prevent the driver seat and the steering wheel from retracting after shutting down the engine ?
Vehicle settings screen, somewhere in there, if memory serves the choice is off, Partial, or Full.