Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

When to put in new struts

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-17, 09:57 AM
ddkhusker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to put in new struts

What mileage is best to install new struts?
Old 08-17-17, 05:40 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

It is more about how the car drives, and whether it is bouncing. Only other reason is for a leaking shock....
Old 08-17-17, 11:40 AM
TACLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In all of my vehicles the push down on the bumper test works great.. Or the Oh my i'm going to puke after that corner or bump test. Most toyotas will let you know they require struts, especially with the SUV type. the body lean and roll around a corner will let you know they are done. Hit a bump in the road and hear / feel the boing boing boing; time for struts. hit a corner and the car leans and sways back and forth; it needs struts, my most memorable was a science experiment Honda Accord with 300000 miles on it, i was turning a corner with a bump and the rear end skipped around the corner because the struts were that worn out. I do NOT recommend waiting until any of those situations. In most of my time with Toyota's and given my life expectancy of most Toyota's I'd recommend changing them at approx 150000 miles. That way you get the benefit of a nice cushy ride

If you are doing them yourself and are not as well versed in how a strut works I recommend the installation of a complete strut kit.. Approx $100 per corner of the vehicle. Vs the approx $55 per corner for a bare strut, then the top strut mount approx $25, insuring the front strut bearing approx $10 is lubed correctly and don't forget the fun part of actually compressing the spring and not letting it shoot across the garage.. SO, all told you possibly saved yourself $10 but took an extra hour per corner to do this job. And you possibly just took the complete strut to a shop to have them remove the spring and do all this work for the tune of $25 per strut.. So you LOST money and time.

Complete strut kits i have used in the past are KYB and Monroe. The strut kit includes a new springs, strut, strut top and strut bearing. Take about 15-30 min per side to put in and are cheaper than the whole assembly. It appears they are approx $100 per corner on Rock Auto, no core charge that i recall and a super time saver. I don't see KYB or Monroe in the strut kit yet but i am sure with time they will be available. I will imagine getting to the top 3 bolts that hold the strut in place in the Lexus will be the most time consuming.

I would be more than happy to do a write-up when ours is due but i'll be honest i won't even bother to evaluate those until we are closer to 150000 miles.

I do not believe these cars have the toyota auto height control or the shocks connected hydraulically like the newer 4runners or Land Cruisers. If they then more research is needed.