Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

My Lexus 450h Warning "Check Hybrid System"

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-17, 09:55 PM
longlt
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Lexus 450h Warning "Check Hybrid System"

Can anyone help me to find out why my RX450h (2011) warning: "Check Hybrid System" both "Check PCS System".
My car running about 65K Miles. This happened Last month, when I go to gara the technician use Tester and clear it. After a month this happen again.
When It warning, the car can run only by Engine, The Hybrid system is not working.
So, anyone know this problem can show me how to fix this.
Thank for paying attention.
Longlt
The following 4 users liked this post by longlt:
AzRX450h (09-11-17), DrPinero (01-06-20), johnnb (01-27-21), tbarrios (11-21-19)
Old 08-02-17, 07:19 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

You need to get the error code read. Not all scanners can do this. For example, Carista unit I use has this capability.
You may want to give Toyota TechStream a try.
Only then you will have some idea how to approach this.
In US, the hybrid system would still be covered under warranty.

Has your vehicle been repaired from a collision? Improper repairs may have triggered "Pre-Collission System" alarm.
Old 08-02-17, 09:08 AM
longlt
Driver School Candidate

Thank for your feedback, I sent you a testing record that may help you understand my trouble.
By the way, my car not yet any PCS repair.

Last edited by longlt; 08-02-17 at 07:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jbundi (09-15-21)
Old 09-08-17, 07:22 PM
longlt
Driver School Candidate

There is my car warning, so anyone could tell me what is my problem? My car engine can work and the car can run, only the Hybrid system not work.
Thank for helping me

Old 01-09-18, 10:56 AM
mikefallon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid Generator

This is my first post so if I'm in the wrong place be gentle.
Last Saturday (6 January 2018) morning after nearly two weeks of temperatures in low teens and below. My 2013 450h flashed a "Check Hybrid System" warning. The car continued to operate normally and gave no other alarms or conditions. I mention the temperature because part of the dealer's assessment had to with extreme temperatures reported by the data download on the car.
I immediately drove to my dealer (whose has performed all maintenance on this vehicle including the 90k miles maintenance. After two days of diagnosis the Hybrid Service Technician found the following error code, P0A38.
According the dealer they checked all the connections throughout the hybrid system and found no corrosion or lose connections etc. Following their repair protocols they determined that only correction they can make is to replace the "Hybrid Vehicle Generator Assembly". Care to guess what that costs... try $6,800.00! Needles to say I would rather not spend that money Sooo is there any other alternative?Hybrid
Old 01-09-18, 07:08 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 481 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefallon
found the following error code, P0A38
The sensor related to this error is built into the motor generator, so there is no replacing the sensor, only the entire motor. Hopefully the dealer would have cleared the error to see if it came back, and was not just an intermittent glitch. From what I understand, the purpose of this sensor is to measure the temp of the transaxle fluid and if too hot, will limit the load on the motor to prevent overheating. That said, if the code is persistent, maybe a shot in the dark would be to change out the fluid. It would be a very long shot but a lot cheaper.

In the long run, if nothing works to fix the sensor, and the vehicle seems to continue to run normally (specifically the traction battery stays charged the power is normal), I guess the choice is run it and see if anything changes and hope nothing else bad happens. Just me though, $6800 is a lot of money so I'd try it, but your call.
david7756 (09-18-23)
Old 02-27-18, 12:44 AM
Thomo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I’ve had similar issues with RX450h but purely check hybrid alarm but have some interesting findings;-
about 3 weeks ago check hybrid came on whilst in cruise at 70mph ish - feels like loss of power but I don’t think it is just dropping off cruise. The energy monitor went blank and unable to set back in cruise but power was all still there. About 10 miles later cruise and energy monitor worked again but check hybrid still on
I’d been to a drive through car wash the day before and after reading a couple of things elsewhere it could be water related.
all seemed fine nd no code on obd detector so reset.
a couple of days ago, I had the same journey and joked “hope the hybrid alarm doesn’t come back up”. At exactly the same spot, I mean virtually within 100 meters the light came on and same thing. I got my wife to see how far back to home and it was 31 or 32 miles, so it looks for certain to be distance/working temperature related. When I think back I’d had a lot of other journeys but nothing over 25 miles in one shot and all the time the car had had hours to cool down.
The final confirmation was that I had to get back from the destination the next day and we went a different way which was making it ~70mile trip, check hybrid still on at start up but again in cruise the energy monitor went blank and dropped me out of cruise speed at around 35 miles but this time we had had a brief stop for 20 or so minutes.

any ideas? I think I need Lexus to look at history or codes I can’t access.
Old 02-27-18, 01:31 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Sometimes the electronics start to get a bit unstable when the 12 volt battery next to the spare tyre under the cargo bay floor is starting to get marginal.

I suggest putting a battery charger onto that battery to charge it up to full or replace it, if it is not taking charge properly. This is because so many modern vehicles have computers which are reliant on the battery to be at the correct voltage, and if the 12 volt battery is unable to maintain proper voltage, all sorts of random and spurious errors can start occurring.
Old 04-17-18, 06:08 PM
Bradan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Check Hybrid System

My RX450H 2010 display warning: Check Hybrid System. I took it to Lexus they give me Error code: P2603 and said Hybrid Oil pump is bad need replace. quote for $1300 part and labor.
I order the part online for $585 shipped and have my brother installed. Part number
35300-48011 - Genuine Lexus PUMP ASSY, OIL W/MOTOR

vlad_a (11-20-18)
Old 04-23-18, 07:17 AM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Thanks for sharing pictures. Glad you got it sorted out for a lot less than what was quoted!
Old 07-22-18, 02:12 PM
DaveP
Driver School Candidate

Default Check Hybrid System Warning Light

2011 RX450h SE-I running OK
But check Hybrid System Warning light activated, after a while possibly 30 miles or so Cruise control inoperative and Eco Mode de activated neither will turn back on until car has been left overnight.
Check hybrid system light staying on
What’s likely cause?
Old 08-09-18, 07:21 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveP
2011 RX450h SE-I running OK
But check Hybrid System Warning light activated, after a while possibly 30 miles or so Cruise control inoperative and Eco Mode de activated neither will turn back on until car has been left overnight.
Check hybrid system light staying on
What’s likely cause?
Mine was due to a bad wire going to a temp sensor in MG1 motor. Lexus repaired under warranty.
Error code P0A2D - Drive Motor "A" Temperature Sensor Circuit High.
dadurham (12-28-19)
Old 08-09-18, 03:49 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Thanks for sharing the photos. I'm shocked at the level of corrosion, but that's because I'm in Australia - we don't salt the roads in winter over here, coz it's just not cold enough to have snow on the roads in the major cities.

EDIT: I also experienced this issue, but it has never come back. I suspect my battery (not the traction battery) was on the low side. See my thread here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-warnings.html

Last edited by tempestv8; 11-21-18 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-21-18, 12:15 AM
Ahmedsa
Driver School Candidate

Default Check hybrid system, check brake system

Hi guys I have a 2009 rx450h
it has 150000kms
recently 2 warnings came up
check hybrid system check brake system and there was no regenative braking or power from electric motors Lexus cleared the warnings but after 500kms it has come up again
there is also s funny humming noise from the battery now and then it also seems like the battery is not holding charge as it goes empty really quickly
is it possible that the battery has given up So quickly at only 150000kms
is it advisable to refurbish the batteries
Old 11-21-18, 10:07 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 481 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahmedsa
Hi guys I have a 2009 rx450h
it has 150000kms
recently 2 warnings came up
check hybrid system check brake system and there was no regenative braking or power from electric motors Lexus cleared the warnings but after 500kms it has come up again
there is also s funny humming noise from the battery now and then it also seems like the battery is not holding charge as it goes empty really quickly
is it possible that the battery has given up So quickly at only 150000kms
is it advisable to refurbish the batteries
That may be a common system reaction to a hybrid system issue, and doesn't necessarily suggest the battery itself is the source of issues. The codes should indicate the true problem.

I had similar symptoms with the battery depleting very quickly from a problem last year after filling up the gas tank, I didn't put the cap back correctly. The warning lights flashed death and destruction, the hybrid battery ran down to empty in a couple minutes of driving. I stopped, put the cap back on correctly, restarted, everything went back to normal. It seems during an issue, the recharging function is disabled, and if so, would be normal for the battery to deplete while not being part of the problem. From my experiences anyway.

Quick Reply: My Lexus 450h Warning "Check Hybrid System"