Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

Front Brake Noise While Backing & Pulsing Sensation

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-17, 09:36 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Front Brake Noise While Backing & Pulsing Sensation

I'm trying to rule out a possible brake problem with my 2016 RX 450H. Sometimes when I back out of my driveway, the front brakes make a clacking noise. Its fairly loud, but I only hear it while applying the brakes while in reverse.

The 2nd thing I'm noticing is pulsating brakes. I don't get this all the time. If I have to make a fairly hard stop, I sometimes get a very noticeable pulsing that feels like the brakes grab & then release several times in a 5 second period. The car stops fine & it doesn't have a sound or feel like the ABS being activated. This has become more pronounced as I've driven the car more. I'm now up to almost 10,000 miles. Anyone else notice this with their 450H?
Old 03-25-17, 03:42 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Warped rotor? Pulsing is a usual indicator but only way to know is get it looked at.
Old 03-26-17, 07:21 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I dismiss that brake clack when backing to the brake pads slapping the opposite side of the brake caliper with the first application of brakes for the day in reverse - as the normal direction is forward. I presume that the noise (which I only notice after the car sits overnight) is due to it breaking free of the minute rust that likely formed from the evening's moisture.

Until someone points to a repair necessitated by such a noise, I'm just ignoring it.
Old 03-27-17, 08:42 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Warped rotor? Pulsing is a usual indicator but only way to know is get it looked at.
I thought that at first, but it doesn't feel the same as a warped rotor. It also doesn't do it all the time, and a warped rotor would pulse each time the brakes are engaged.
Old 01-12-19, 10:03 PM
Nogee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 450h has 36,000 miles and I noticed a very slight pulsating when going down hill and braking. After today's service it was noted that the rotors were slightly out-of-round. They were turned during the service. This seemed to have started after getting new tires. On our other Chevy, I had issues with rotors and learned that having the wheels torqued incorrectly could have attributed to the issue. So I don't know if that was the case here after I got the new tires.

This is our third 450h and first time that I have had this issue. I will monitor going forward. I did a search for "rotors" on the forum and this was the only thread I found concerning warped rotors.

UPDATE: The other day I was coming down a slight downgrade and slowing to a stop. I noticed pulsating as I came to a stop. It was weird as I thought the engine seemed to be loping. I thought this to be strange since the rotors, according to the service writer, were turned. Still monitoring.

UPDATE June 2019: I now believe that this "feeling" is caused by the engine "missing" or stumbling at very low speeds, like slowing coming to a stop sign. I first thought that the rotors were warped. Dealer turn the rotors which they said were slightly out of round. I have now experienced noticeable stumbling upon initial start up in the morning and once with that "clacking" sound. The car seems to stumble while coming up to speed. Once the car has warmed up, it all seems fine. I live in So Cal and do not experience severe cold temperatures.

Last edited by Nogee; 06-12-19 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-14-19, 08:59 PM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by NateJG
I dismiss that brake clack when backing to the brake pads slapping the opposite side of the brake caliper with the first application of brakes for the day in reverse - as the normal direction is forward. I presume that the noise (which I only notice after the car sits overnight) is due to it breaking free of the minute rust that likely formed from the evening's moisture.

Until someone points to a repair necessitated by such a noise, I'm just ignoring it.
Yup same here. I've had the 2016 RX450h Fsport for a month and assumed the same probable cause. Happened twice in the past week and a half when in started raining here in SoCal...
Old 03-04-19, 08:00 AM
yamaturkey
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
I'm trying to rule out a possible brake problem with my 2016 RX 450H. Sometimes when I back out of my driveway, the front brakes make a clacking noise. Its fairly loud, but I only hear it while applying the brakes while in reverse.

The 2nd thing I'm noticing is pulsating brakes. I don't get this all the time. If I have to make a fairly hard stop, I sometimes get a very noticeable pulsing that feels like the brakes grab & then release several times in a 5 second period. The car stops fine & it doesn't have a sound or feel like the ABS being activated. This has become more pronounced as I've driven the car more. I'm now up to almost 10,000 miles. Anyone else notice this with their 450H?
i have the same issue on my 2018 450h FSport. I took it to service and Lexus said that’s a normal characteristic for hybrid.......
Old 03-04-19, 08:06 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by yamaturkey

i have the same issue on my 2018 450h FSport. I took it to service and Lexus said that’s a normal characteristic for hybrid.......
This is my first hybrid, so lots of things are different. I’m at 23,000 miles & the brakes are great. They are just different. Lexus service says it’s not unusual for the brakes to last 100,000 miles because of how they work. They still make noise in reverse & sometimes pulse slightly, but I’m used to it now. Enjoy your long lasting great brakes & don’t sweat the small stuff.
Old 03-22-19, 09:01 AM
xcinlb
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same thing on our Prius. When backing up the brakes make the clacking noise. When having to stop more suddenly, the brakes grab and release a bit and sometimes just grab more than you were anticipating and then release. It's not very reassuring at all. As I am about to pull the trigger on either a 450H or 300H NX, this is disappointing to hear. I guess its the way the regenerative braking works for Toyota/Lexus.
Old 03-23-19, 04:07 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by xcinlb
I have the same thing on our Prius. When backing up the brakes make the clacking noise. When having to stop more suddenly, the brakes grab and release a bit and sometimes just grab more than you were anticipating and then release. It's not very reassuring at all. As I am about to pull the trigger on either a 450H or 300H NX, this is disappointing to hear. I guess its the way the regenerative braking works for Toyota/Lexus.
zero issues with grabbing and releasing in my 450, so please don't assume that a couple here with issues and yours makes the entire hybrid line have the issue.
i tow in the mountains my motorcycle as well, no issues there either, very smooth and predictable and consistent. No grab and release like you describe as i would suspect your rotors are warped,
Also keep in mind, that a fraction of the rx owners are here and the rest aren't weighing in on if they have issues. Forums are an extremely small sample.

Test drive the vehicle you are looking to purchase and all will be well. No worries. Enjoy your new ride when you get it.
The following users liked this post:
gadgetman1 (03-23-19)
Old 03-23-19, 06:29 AM
xcinlb
Rookie

Originally Posted by JSracer
zero issues with grabbing and releasing in my 450, so please don't assume that a couple here with issues and yours makes the entire hybrid line have the issue.
i tow in the mountains my motorcycle as well, no issues there either, very smooth and predictable and consistent. No grab and release like you describe as i would suspect your rotors are warped,
Also keep in mind, that a fraction of the rx owners are here and the rest aren't weighing in on if they have issues. Forums are an extremely small sample.

Test drive the vehicle you are looking to purchase and all will be well. No worries. Enjoy your new ride when you get it.
My rotors are absolutely not warped. Had them checked out twice. The grab and release happens at a slower pace. I know what warped rotors feel like. Perhaps the new car won’t have it. Fingers crossed.
Old 03-23-19, 06:58 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Sounds like it's very easy for you to diagnose what the issue is
had them checked out by who, what did they say that issue was in the pulsing and grabbing?? They checked the rear as well??

Last edited by JSracer; 03-23-19 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-23-19, 07:25 AM
xcinlb
Rookie

The dealer checked all four brakes. They said everything was fine. Wouldn’t say they if they felt it or not. Just kept saying all was fine. It was an issue on the previous model Prius’s so maybe it was fixed enough and still sometimes does it. Since I’m going to get something new, I don’t need to spend hours and hours diagnosing the problem. One of the reasons I don’t want the car anymore, among others. My wife won’t drive it for this reason either.
Old 03-23-19, 10:35 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

For clarification, my 450h DOES NOT have a brake problem. The issue was me getting used to a new-to-me braking system. They are clearly different, but not faulty, at least on my car.