Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

ABS Actuator Warranty Extension!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-16, 04:14 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I use the ebay techstream. It was pretty easy. Kick of TS, select bleed brakes, hit go, then it tells you what to do step by step. It is just like a normal brake flush except the computer is helping by pumping the module. Since the pump is running, it feels like ABS engagement while you are pressing the peddle to bleed.
Old 11-05-16, 06:37 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I have one, but have never tried that, may be too old to hook,maybe I should try.
Old 10-29-17, 01:45 PM
MACJO
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my 2006 Rx400h to the Mission Viejo dealer due to a number of warning lights that lit up 3 days ago: MASTER WARNING LIGHT, BRAKE WARNING LIGHT, ELECTRONICALLY CONTROLLED BRAKE WARNING, ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM, SLIP INDICATOR AND CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. Yesterday I stopped by AutoZone and ran the OBD device which only listed: P0174 Mass Air Flow Sensor. I had not changed my air filter in about 20000 miles so I replaced it enroute to the Lexus dealer and inspected the Mass Air Flow Sensor which was dirty. A Toyota parts clerk recommended I just use the CLR cleaner before replacing the sensor. The Lexus dealer had me wait 3 hours while the technician spent an hour going over my car looking for problems and then told me he would need to do 3 more hours of diagnostic testing to ensure the Brake Actuator Assembly was the problem. He also claimed that he pulled up 6 other codes that he could not be sure were due to the Brake Actuator Assembly which clicks loudly for a prolonged period when starting or exiting the car and constantly when the brake peddle is depressed. This same vehicle lost power on the freeway with loss of electronic braking, power and power steering 3 years ago due to a faulty hybrid system part. This was an extremely dangerous event in morning rush hour freeway traffic at 65 mph. I am disgusted with the Lexus product and customer support. They were unable to fix the hybrid system despite a safety recall for lack of parts til the car had to be towed in to the dealer and nearly cause a major freeway accident. They have known about the brake actuator assembly problem since 2009 and will do what ever possible to avoid fixing the vehicle. The dash board cracking replacement is 2-3 years behind with a large wait list. Very poorly quality and customer support. Hopefully the new class action suit regarding the dash boards will also occur with the brake actuator assembly issue.
Old 11-05-17, 01:53 PM
jooksing82
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas1
I have one, but have never tried that, may be too old to hook,maybe I should try.
Any updates Thomas? my car has been chirping for the past few months and I just caught this thread. No lights, tempted to to the techsteam flush.

The car clicks after exiting has been the norm for me since I got the car. I never figured it out and thought it was normal.

Dealer wants $160 just check the problem before even considering the warranty i am not sure if they caught the notes about the lights as a condition so it is a gamble.
Old 11-07-17, 02:56 PM
ctc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks to clublexus

My 2006 RX400h is getting a new actuator later this week. I have had the "noise" (seal barking) for around a year now. I've had the rx about 2 and a half years. The sound was very intermittent to start, seemed to vary with the weather. In recent weeks it has gotten worse. I finally decided to see what was up, and armed with info from this and other forums, I headed to the repair shop. I visited a well respected independent Lexus service shop. I was told that, yes indeed, it was the actuator and that for $2500 total, it could be replaced. The manager honestly said he did not know what would happen if it was not replaced as he had not seen this before on a rx. No high pressure or horror stories of brakes failing while approaching a gas truck. I declined the repair and started reading this thread in more detail. (Should have done that first) It was then that I saw the warranty enhancement. I already have a new dashboard and a headlight assembly thanks to previous warranty enhancements. I headed to the dealer this morning to try my luck once more. The service advisor noted my comments about the noise and what I had read that pointed towards the actuator. He came back with recommendations to bleed the brakes and if that did not work, to replace the actuator. I then mentioned the warranty enhancement. He looked it up and told me to wait once more. He then came back saying that my vehicle was not eligible. When I asked why not, he went through the paperwork and told me "Primary coverage is until December...wait a minute...I'll be right back." He was back a few minutes later, apologizing, saying that yes, it was covered. This all did take 2 and half hours, but well worth it. FWIW: I never had any other indications of a problem other than the noise. No lights or braking problems.

Last edited by ctc; 11-13-17 at 02:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-13-17, 02:42 PM
MACJO
Driver School Candidate

Took my Rx400h to the dealer in Tustin Ranch and discussed warning lights on and extended warranty with Steve who replaced my brake actuator assembly under the extended warranty. The car warning lights are now all off and it is silent again and the regenerative braking is once again working. The Toyota tech stream DTC for the actuator are C1256 & C1391. These codes must be present for the warranty extension of the ABS Actuator Assembly. However other ABS related codes may also be present. On my vehicle the Hybrid screen showed that the regenerative braking was not working and the car moved backward in reverse unless excessive pressure was applied to the brakes. The actuator made loud clicking noises when the brakes were applied and for several minutes when the car was started or parked ...even after leaving the vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
joedaddy1 (05-10-18)
Old 02-10-18, 09:25 PM
Lex450
2nd gear

Has anyone experienced the chirping... seal bark c1256 error on 2010 RX450H?
I feel i have a similar issue but not sure if its under warranty as one of the fellows shared the Warranty Doc.
Old 11-13-18, 01:53 AM
Shimen
Driver School Candidate

Default Brakes problem Lexus IS300H 2014

I have a problem with strange noise coming from the ABS pump on my lexus. You can see and here it in the link bellow.

What is the problem?
Is it the same problem of ABS Actuator?
Did anyone had the same issue on IS 3gen?

Thank you,
Ilya
Old 12-19-18, 10:14 AM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 218 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by MACJO
... The Toyota tech stream DTC for the actuator are C1256 & C1391. ...
Yes, if C1391 is On then only replacement. I did it in July 2018 (extended warranty doesn't work more). If your dealer asks $3000 - don't purchase this part at your dealer!!! Order the new Actuator online (I found at Longo Lexus for $1,2k+, and installed it at the local dealer for 2 costs of diagnostic -> ~$1.5k total)

Last edited by iMSQ; 04-30-20 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-22-18, 09:03 AM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by iMSQ
Yes, if C1391 is On then only replacement. I did it in July 2018 (extended warranty doesn't work more). If your dealer asks $3000 - don't purchase this part at your dealer!!! Order the new Actuator online (I found at Longo Lexus for $1,2k+, and installed it at the local dealer for 2 costs of diagnostic -> ~$1.5k)
Did you get the updated part number listed in the tsb?
Old 12-22-18, 09:38 AM
iMSQ
Instructor

Originally Posted by mnewxcv
Did you get the updated part number listed in the tsb?
No, I got with Lexus catalog part number because they were able to order the part number from bulletin in case of warranty replacement only.
But the price was the same (and the parts are probably the same; I think they use different part numbers for warranty/non-warranty cases).
Old 12-22-18, 10:37 AM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

for future reference, here are the part numbers and affected vehicles per the TSB:

previous part number: 44050-481191
New part number: 04003-45148

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=194095

It does seem like you can order that part, though I am not sure if the order would be fulfilled.

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/...003-45148.html

given the obscene cost of the part (~$1200), I am surprised there isn't anyone trying to rebuild the existing failed units. Perhaps it just needs a seal replaced.
The following 2 users liked this post by mnewxcv:
joedaddy1 (10-13-20), TravisSand (10-13-20)
Old 05-15-19, 04:17 PM
jayhawkgal
Driver School Candidate

Default Please help

Originally Posted by topspin678
I have good news my ABS actuator was replaced by Lexus. Thanks for info Joedaddy.
Do did you call at Lexus? To get extension?
Old 05-16-19, 10:14 AM
iMSQ
Instructor

It's too late. Extension is over.
Old 05-17-19, 02:02 PM
jayhawkgal
Driver School Candidate

Default Brake extension

So my dealer said to call and ask for a favor. I have been sick fighting cancer etc What do you think about that?

Quick Reply: ABS Actuator Warranty Extension!!