Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Led drl with fog light 2010

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-16, 06:38 AM
rns
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Led drl with fog light 2010

I wanted to have drls in my 2010 Rx450 so I bought Vinstar Led Drls with built-in led fog
light.
The led drl light is outer U-shaped light in the lamp 9.5 watts and
led fog light is inner 10 watts light in the lamp

They replace the original front fog light so due to local regulation they must also work as fog light. If new vehicle comes to market with front fog lights, they are not allowed to be removed.

Installation was quite straightforward apart from the wiring.
After removing inner fender there was quite good access to fog lights.
I read earlier that oil cooler in the left side could be a problem. Anyway I found the washer fluid container in the right side to be more on the way. You need rather short screw driver to be able to open the inner two screws holding the lamp.

The led drl&foglight has control module that I installed with zip ties in above bumper holder. Control module connects to the lamp, to fog light wiring and via provided harness it gets signals from parking light and from acc+. I used again zip ties to attach the harness in the frame that goes from headlight-radiator-headlight.

I got parking light signal (yellow wire) easily from left headlight, the connector was right at the top, blue wire for positive, black-white for negative.

The Acc on signal was more hard to get as I wanted to play safe. Quickly thinking you could just use the IGN fuse for that
I used another relay to provide the power. I used IG1 relay's towards engine pin to give signal (yellow wire) to Drl relay that grounds to fusebox frame attachment (blue wire) and to power input slot in fuse box (fused red, wire, always live).
Attached Thumbnails Led drl with fog light 2010-new-old-1.jpg   Led drl with fog light 2010-new-old-2.jpg   Led drl with fog light 2010-e-approval.jpg   Led drl with fog light 2010-it-fits.jpg   Led drl with fog light 2010-right-side-fog-removed.jpg  

Led drl with fog light 2010-left-side-oil-cooler.jpg   Led drl with fog light 2010-parking-light-signal.jpg   Led drl with fog light 2010-acc-ig1-relay-output.jpg   Led drl with fog light 2010-ready-fuse-relay.jpg   Led drl with fog light 2010-ready-out.jpg  

Last edited by rns; 03-22-16 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-22-16, 06:45 AM
rns
Pit Crew

More pictures and link for them http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401000022758

You can see in pictures also green wire coming into fuse box.
It is not necessary or used yet, I added it as I plan to install additional spotlights later.
Attached Thumbnails Led drl with fog light 2010-led-drl-set-old-new.jpg   Led drl with fog light 2010-connectors-for-foglight-wiring.jpg   Led drl with fog light 2010-drl-relay-setup.jpg   Led drl with fog light 2010-drl-relay-setup-2.jpg  

Last edited by rns; 03-22-16 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-10-16, 02:17 PM
danikas
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello nice work ,have same led front lights and took the task to install auto beam assist on mine.
do you have this function on your car as factory option?
Old 06-11-16, 11:12 AM
rns
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by danikas
hello nice work ,have same led front lights and took the task to install auto beam assist on mine.
do you have this function on your car as factory option?
Yes, I have auto-option in rotating light switch if it is what you mean. Off-Auto-Parkinglights-On
In auto mode lights are turned on/off by sensor which is in the dashboard near bottom of windscreen.

But if you mean auto high beams, those I don't have and I think they were available not in 3rd gen?

Last edited by rns; 06-14-16 at 04:42 AM.
Old 07-29-20, 12:15 PM
rns
Pit Crew

Vinstar Led drl fog light update after 4 years.
Other lamp housing had condensed water inside. This was probably due to bad quality paint jos and corrosion clogging up the ventilation duct.
Condensed water has broke the drl circuit, only 1/3 of the light works. Fog lights are still good both sides.

The trouble is that I would like to replace the lamp but I can't find Vinstar available anymore. To change other brand lamp would need to redo more or less the whole installation.

Now it's the time to say I should have bought Hella led-fog-drl-kit.
I did not thought I would own this RX this long!

Originally Posted by rns
I wanted to have drls in my 2010 Rx450 so I bought Vinstar Led Drls with built-in led fog
light.
The led drl light is outer U-shaped light in the lamp 9.5 watts and
led fog light is inner 10 watts light in the lamp

They replace the original front fog light so due to local regulation they must also work as fog light. If new vehicle comes to market with front fog lights, they are not allowed to be removed.

Last edited by rns; 07-29-20 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-02-20, 09:25 AM
rns
Pit Crew

I bought new Vinstar Led DRLs with reasonable price, they were sold with the title for Toyota Corolla.

Downside was the connector was different so had to replace also the control module.
Original problem might have have been caused by that connector.
New connector is sealed to the wire cover unlike the open type of the old lamp.

Old 12-13-20, 10:36 AM
crldz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much for updates and installation procedure documentation.
For me these all posts are very valuable.
How much did you pay for 2020 ones? I'm interested as they have a road homologation that is required in Europe.

Last edited by crldz; 12-13-20 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-22-24, 03:07 AM
rns
Pit Crew

An update. Left hand side drl fog lamp has failed. The same lamp I replaced 4 years ago.
The right hand side has still the lamp I installed 8 years ago.

But the longevity of Rx has surprised me. I still have it, no issues with it.

Originally Posted by rns
I bought new Vinstar Led DRLs with reasonable price, they were sold with the title for Toyota Corolla.

Downside was the connector was different so had to replace also the control module.
Original problem might have have been caused by that connector.
New connector is sealed to the wire cover unlike the open type of the old lamp.
Old 01-22-24, 03:09 AM
rns
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by crldz
Thank you very much for updates and installation procedure documentation.
For me these all posts are very valuable.
How much did you pay for 2020 ones? I'm interested as they have a road homologation that is required in Europe.
Too late answer but maybe around 200 euros back then. I though I made PM.