Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Question about being rear ended...

Old 03-10-16, 02:43 PM
ksko
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about being rear ended...

Has anyone had problems with the hybrid components in the back after being rear ended?

I have a 2007 GS 450h and I got rear ended this morning on the freeway
The damage looks to be very minimal, and I've got an appointment at a body shop through my insurance company. I am not fluent in car speak at all, but I understand that some of the hybrid components are in the back. So, would there be a benefit to taking it to a Lexus dealer with Collision Center instead of the non-Lexus body shop?

Any and all advice would be welcome!

Thanks,
K
Old 03-16-16, 11:37 AM
08Lex450h
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been in the insurance collision industry for about 8+ years now. Your insurance carrier is going to recommend a collision center. In most cases I'd say follow their lead. However in this case, because of it being a hybrid, I'd definitely take it to a Lexus dealer. Keep in mind, most Lexus dealers DO NOT have a dedicated Lexus collision center but do sublet the collision work to 1 specific collision center that stands behind all of that dealership's work. They also typically do NOT follow insurance protocol such as the use of aftermarket parts, or Opt OEM parts, etc. Honda nor Toyota produce Opt OEM parts so when your adjuster comes to see your car he's gonna write an estimate based off of putting the car back to the way it "appeared" regardless of the parts used. In a lot of cases they tell you that they have to use CAPA certified aftermarket parts but in your case the good news is, Keystone/LQK doesn't produce aftermarket sheet metal for your car.

To answer your question, take it to a Lexus dealer and let them worry about any future issues that arise. If you take it to a random collision center they probably don't have the Hybrid Heath center computer diag machine, which is needed to run a complete health report on your hybrid system. Which means they will have to send it to a dealership for that which means, there will be several days your vehicle isn't at the place you dropped it off and will be loaded and unloaded on a flatbed truck....all of this is just asking for someone to drop the ball and screw something up that's totally not related to the rear end collision then you'll find yourself arguing with the insurance company about unrelated "prior" damage.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by ksko
Has anyone had problems with the hybrid components in the back after being rear ended?

I have a 2007 GS 450h and I got rear ended this morning on the freeway
The damage looks to be very minimal, and I've got an appointment at a body shop through my insurance company. I am not fluent in car speak at all, but I understand that some of the hybrid components are in the back. So, would there be a benefit to taking it to a Lexus dealer with Collision Center instead of the non-Lexus body shop?

Any and all advice would be welcome!

Thanks,
K
Old 03-16-16, 01:45 PM
ksko
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

08Lex450h,
Awesome details. I've got an appointment scheduled at Lexus because of your recommendation.
Thanks so much!