Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2015 up NX300H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX300H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other first generation NX models.

Parking Heater

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-15, 05:43 AM
VladSoare
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Heater

Hello,

Do you happen to know if the 300h is compatible with parking heaters? Can a Webasto heater be installed and work like in a regular gasoline-powered car?
Considering that the heating system is coolant-based and doesn't blow warm air until the gas engine has warmed up, and that heated windshields are not available, I think a parking heater would be a valuable addition. Is there any reason why it should not work in a 300h?

Thank you.
Old 12-27-15, 08:23 AM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VladSoare
Hello,

Do you happen to know if the 300h is compatible with parking heaters? Can a Webasto heater be installed and work like in a regular gasoline-powered car?
Considering that the heating system is coolant-based and doesn't blow warm air until the gas engine has warmed up, and that heated windshields are not available, I think a parking heater would be a valuable addition. Is there any reason why it should not work in a 300h?

Thank you.
I for one have never heard of a "parking heater" here in the US.
Maybe others have?
Old 12-27-15, 08:58 AM
VladSoare
Driver School Candidate

It's a system that pre-heats the engine and the coolant. You turn it on some fifteen to twenty minutes before your planned departure, either by remote control or by a pre-programmed timer. The engine is already warm when you start it, and heat is available instantly.

http://www.webasto.com/int/markets-p...rs/small-cars/

Last edited by VladSoare; 12-27-15 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-28-15, 05:08 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 4482
I for one have never heard of a "parking heater" here in the US.
Maybe others have?
I think he is talking about what you in the US/Canada refer to as a "block heater".
Old 12-28-15, 06:37 AM
VladSoare
Driver School Candidate

Indeed, I believe it's also known as a block heater. Sometimes it's also called a stationary heater, or an auxiliary heater, though the same names can sometimes be used by car manufacturers to designate completely different systems.
Old 01-25-17, 05:57 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

What the OP describes is not a block heater. A block heater is a small electric heating element that warms up the engine block. It does not heat the coolant or interior cabin. The purpose of a block heater it to make engine starts easier in cold temperatures (around -10°C or colder). This allows the oil to flow more easily and reduces engine wear during the first few critical seconds that the engine is running. There is very little effect on how quickly the coolant heats up or climate control system performance.

In colder Canadian provinces, the NX300h does come with a block heater installed.
Old 03-06-17, 01:26 PM
Balien
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't bother with an extra parking coolant heater. This car has a valve that directs the coolant around the exaust manifold. This quickly heats up the car engine usually in less than 1km or 4min befor you start getting heat at -50c I'm in Winnipeg Canada. The block heater should be plugged in to save gas as the Engine will not shut down until the coolant is at full temp.
Old 11-26-19, 10:58 PM
DrMabuse
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Original question remains unanswered though.

How does a gasoline powered parking heater like Webasto integrate into an 300h?

This question is important for me too since I'm looking to buy a Lexus IS, and no Webasto will be a deal-breaker.

Having a Webasto is not about getting the engine heat up quickly as Balien suggested. The parking heater heats up the entire car. Normal setup is the heater heats up the coolant which is pumped though the heater element first with the fan activated, to heat up the compartment. Residual heat continues to the engine block.
When it's below 0°C temperatures outside, there will be no ice on the windows, you can take your coat off before entering your car because it's ~20-24°C inside and the seat won't make you freeze your *** off, no need to wait for the electric seat heater to warm up.
An electric block heater won't get the engine warm like a Webasto does. An electric heater usually has about 500w power, and the Webasto provides ~5kW heat. That's an order of magnitude greater.
Old 11-27-19, 05:02 AM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VladSoare
Hello,

Thank you.
I would think Webasto would know what cars there unit will work in.