Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Any concern on the 450h battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-15, 04:55 PM
kuki
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any concern on the 450h battery

Looking at a used 450h. Wondering if the battery degrading will be a concern?

Never owned a hybrid before (do own a EV), I'm wondering if I should be worrying about battery degrading on a used 450h?
Old 07-16-15, 05:54 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

Generally no, the only real concern is if the vehicle happened to sit for many months untouched. The NiMH battery type as used in Toyota hybrids is prone to charge loss while sitting, so long periods of time unused could result in an unhealthy amount of charge loss. In regular use though, the NiMH battery is considered a life-time component with low failure rates during vehicle life. Your own EV probably does not have this kind of battery, they are not as energy dense as that used in an EV, but Toyota continues to use them in their hybrids because they have a proven track record of long time reliability.
Old 07-16-15, 06:22 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome to CL!

I don't have personal concern on my hybrid components, more than anything else with my RX which has a best-of-breed track record when it comes to reliability.

I purchased a new Lexus 2006 RX400h the first month they became available in 2005, and kept it until I traded it for my present 2013 RX450h which was on the first ship from Japan to Long Beach in 2012, without any hybrid issues whatsoever all that time. When I was starting to think about replacing my RX400h, and asking about how Prius batteries were lasting (Prius was out a year or two before the RX400h), I was told the first traction batteries were just beginning to need replacement in some Prius at the approx 8-year mark, but the two service folks I talked to at separate dealerships independently suggested more like the 10-year mark is when the traction battery would start to perhaps come into question for some people -- but likely further for many -- there just wasn't that much historical data to go on even to this day. My suggestion to you is to do some exploration on various Prius forums (Prius hybrid technology is similar to Lexus) and look in our 2ND GEN RX HYBRID FORUM to get a feel on this point of traction battery replacement or problems on the RX400h. The hybrid technology betweeen 2nd Gen RX and 3rd Gen RX isn't that vastly different. There certainly has not been a lot of hybrid traction battery discussion anywhere that I've seen in my 15+ years reading our RX forums...

Also, check your local state warranties, but here in California, which provide some of the best, if not the best in the US, consumer protection when it comes to hybrids and alternative fuel vehicles above-and-beyond what most other (but not all) States have with auto warranties, my 2013 RX450h warranty goes so far as to ensure for 3 years/50K miles (whichever is first) that I will pass smog-checks or repairs are at Lexus expense (even though there are no checks here in CA -- ha ha), and for 7 years/70K miles (whatever is first) if the big emissions-related parts (including the traction battery you are asking about) are defective, if will be be repaired/replaced by Lexus. ...so from an official warranty perspective, here in CA, I have hybrid warranty coverage far beyond the basic warranty of my RX which gives me an awful lot of confidence...
Note: I've seen reference in other forums that CARB here in California provides a 10-year warranty on hybrid components, but I have not gone to more trouble to validate that for you right now -- I did go out and pull my official Lexus Warranty documents within my 2013 RX450h, so at least that's what they say.
Now, from a subjective POV, given all that -- and that I like to keep my new-cash-purchased vehicles 6-8 years on average, I put less than 10K/year on my ride, and I'm one to buy a Lexus Platinum Extended Warranty (see other posts on the value or not of that) to hedge my bets and budget any unforeseen large outlays of cash in the out-years after basic warranty expires, I have zero concern my Lexus hybrid components are going to be an issue while I own my vehicle ...it's truly become the least of my concern owning Lexus since 1994, especially when buying my vehicles and living here in California which provides better warranty with hybrids than most US States. Your situation may vary, as I don't know what MY RXh you're looking at, how long you intend to keep it, the mileage you'll probably rack up, and what the laws are up in Washington State as to where vehicles are first purchased and reside should a problem with a hybrid crop up (I'm no lawyer, that's for sure!).

Good luck with your pursuit. I hope that helps with at least my personal perspective. I truly have enjoyed owning my RXh since 2005, and if there were a 2016+ with IMHO not quite so wild design esthetics, I planned to have another and another to replace my 2013 and beyond when the time came without question.

Last edited by BertL; 07-16-15 at 06:37 PM. Reason: English. Gotta get my tense right.