Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

Hybrid worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-16, 02:53 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRxh
Or you can buy a small inverter, which is what I have for charging laptops, etc.
Well, sure. But it's really nice to just have a 120V outlet ready to go.
Old 05-06-16, 04:30 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why did you choose the hybrid?

Was curious why folks chose the RX hybrid for the gas counterpart? MPG? If so, did you do a return on investment calculation to determine how long it would take in gas savings to make up the higher up front costs?

I drive about 12K miles/year and even with the MPG difference at current gas costs is like 10 years...

Last edited by sjgIS350; 05-06-16 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-07-16, 11:34 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

you should probably check out this thread where it is thoroughly discussed:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...-worth-it.html

Basically very few people buy it for gas savings. They buy it for:
-silent EV mode
-no shifting without CVT drone
-instant and smooth torque
-longer range, less refilling
-less maintenance (brakes)
-higher MPG feels better
-start/stop is less wasteful in stop-and-go traffic
-its the highest RX you can get
-electric powered A/C
-acts as a portable generator
-98% recyclable (400h)
-lower emissions/saving the planet...

Last edited by ericsan13; 05-07-16 at 11:40 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by ericsan13:
GS350Miami (08-07-21), nitalice (03-29-22), RGSW (08-04-21), Verndog08 (08-06-21)
Old 05-08-16, 02:03 PM
Curryolla
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
you should probably check out this thread where it is thoroughly discussed:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...-worth-it.html

Basically very few people buy it for gas savings. They buy it for:
-silent EV mode
-no shifting without CVT drone
-instant and smooth torque
-longer range, less refilling
-less maintenance (brakes)
-higher MPG feels better
-start/stop is less wasteful in stop-and-go traffic
-its the highest RX you can get
-electric powered A/C
-acts as a portable generator
-98% recyclable (400h)
-lower emissions/saving the planet...
Yep...that about sums it up! I picked the hybrid for all those reasons and can't think of any others!
Old 05-08-16, 05:04 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds cool, when running on battery or regenerating !!

Although counter productive, slightly heavier weight. Car has different "feel" compared to 350 version.
Old 07-14-21, 02:49 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by Curryolla
Yep...that about sums it up! I picked the hybrid for all those reasons and can't think of any others!
I added several more points since then that you might enjoy.

-hybrids are 25% to 42% more reliable than gas-counterparts
-radio/electronics don't restart when engine starts
-no issues with excessive noise/vibration or hesitation problems of the non-hybrid
-way less brake dust!
-no alternator
-no starter = less reliance on 12V battery
-no smog checks for some states (e.g. CA, WA, MI, refer to your state laws)
The following 2 users liked this post by ericsan13:
GS350Miami (08-07-21), jollick (07-14-21)
Old 07-19-21, 07:46 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up Thumbs Up for Electric AC!

Let me give a double thumbs-up on the electric AC. This is my 3rd Lexus Hybrid. I live in Houston and it gets HOT in July/August. The fact that the AC works just as well while stopped vs on the highway is a huge plus for me!
The following users liked this post:
jollick (07-21-21)
Old 08-03-21, 10:48 PM
Wiener
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I will give you my point of view, which is influenced by the european overregulated market.

I would never ever buy a hybrid in the US. Moreover, RX450h is not a high quality car, mine for example has had some loose exhaust from the factory in Japan and it was banging on curves. The dealership tightened it up but what does it say about the quality control and quality itself? And the brakes clunking/barking.

I bought RX450h only because there is no real alternative in Europe. I did not want a turbocharged car. And also not a diesel. And not with an engine smaller than 3.0. So what could I buy? An RX450h for like $80k or an LX570 (import on demand) for like $140k. RX350 is not available here. VAG cars are junk, BMW likewise. Mercedes? Nope. There is no Infiniti here (I would consider QX70 5.0 or QX80 5.6), no Patrol, no Acura, no larger Hondas, no Land Cruisers/Fortuners, etc. (only 2.8d Prado with DPF issues). You can import Land Cruiser 300 from Dubai for like $160k after all taxes.

So actually the RX450h is the only car here that meets my needs and that I can afford. But most of you guys are in the US. You are free to buy a V8, for example in GX. And the gas is like 3 times cheaper over there. Why would you even consider the RX hybrid?
Old 08-04-21, 10:27 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by Wiener
I will give you my point of view, which is influenced by the european overregulated market.

I would never ever buy a hybrid in the US. Moreover, RX450h is not a high quality car, mine for example has had some loose exhaust from the factory in Japan and it was banging on curves. The dealership tightened it up but what does it say about the quality control and quality itself? And the brakes clunking/barking.

I bought RX450h only because there is no real alternative in Europe. I did not want a turbocharged car. And also not a diesel. And not with an engine smaller than 3.0. So what could I buy? An RX450h for like $80k or an LX570 (import on demand) for like $140k. RX350 is not available here. VAG cars are junk, BMW likewise. Mercedes? Nope. There is no Infiniti here (I would consider QX70 5.0 or QX80 5.6), no Patrol, no Acura, no larger Hondas, no Land Cruisers/Fortuners, etc. (only 2.8d Prado with DPF issues). You can import Land Cruiser 300 from Dubai for like $160k after all taxes.

So actually the RX450h is the only car here that meets my needs and that I can afford. But most of you guys are in the US. You are free to buy a V8, for example in GX. And the gas is like 3 times cheaper over there. Why would you even consider the RX hybrid?
Sorry to hear about your loose exhaust. My Canadian built RX450h is not perfect but what car is?

Sure, gas is cheaper but with an RX450h I calculated breakeven to be at 92k miles. Also consider the fact that when you sell you will recover a lot of that extra cost on top of the breakeven.

Finally, see post 3 in this same thread for a whole list of reasons why RX450h is better than the RX350. The GX (body-on-frame) is bigger, heavier, and does not handle like the RX (crossover).

If you are looking at other brands in the same class (midsize SUV), X5 is more fun to drive and GLE is more luxurious but to your first point, you wouldn't consider either to be a "high quality car" (reliable).
Old 08-04-21, 10:03 PM
DocRock
Pit Crew

Received 126 Likes on 73 Posts

My wife has a 2020 RX 350 and I have a 2021 RX 450h - bought about 3 months apart. The difference in the base sticker price was less than $1,700 adjusting for the fact that BSM became standard in 2021 as opposed to an extra cost option in 2020. The options on both cars are fairly similar (premium package, moonroof, kick sensor for liftgate, etc.). Neither has a nav system as we both have iPhones and use CarPlay with Waze for navigation. The 350 was bought at the end of the model year, so we got rebates totaling $3,500; the rebate on the 450h was $2,500. The dealer discounts were similar in dollar value.

We are balancing the miles driven between the two cars, so both have been driven about 25% city/75% highway (we're both retired, so we make many trips to visit family some distance away, and neither of us has a work commute). So far, my wife drives the 350 most of the time (I occasionally take the wheel) and is averaging right at 25 MPG (measured, not estimated) resulting in an average of about 11 cents per mile for 87 octane. I am driving the 450h exclusively (my wife doesn't like driving hybrids). I am getting an average in excess of 36 MPG (measured, not estimated) resulting in an average of about 9 cents per mile for 93 octane. We both use Eco mode.

We are pleased with our RXs. The cabins are extremely quiet at highway speeds; we find the seats very comfortable; and, they are the right size vehicles for each of us (both interior and exterior). One thing that we find most pleasing is that the safety features work, and do so fairly transparently (the center display is not cluttered with a crazy number of indicators like the Subaru Ascent we tossed to buy the 450h). My wife previously drove a Lincoln MKZ with a 265hp V-6. She has no complaints about the power or acceleration of her 350.

So far, neither has demonstrated any defects, nor have any recalls been issued for either vehicle.

Given we have family members and close friends with 3rd Gen RXs that have proven to be nearly trouble-free for them, we expect our RXs to be very reliable.

Time will tell.
The following 3 users liked this post by DocRock:
nitalice (03-29-22), Ohtexan (08-08-21), Verndog08 (08-06-21)
Old 08-05-21, 10:48 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Discussions of this kind makes me rethink my decision(s) of buying 450h. I like the way the car looks, the paint polishes up to a great gloss, the ride is smooth as silk at 80 mph, maintenance upkeep is minor and repairs, while not unusual, are covered by warranty.

Whether built in Japan or Canada, quality is high. I’ve had service recalls for RX from both countries. Taking a tour of the Canadian plant reenforced my understanding of their desire for quality materials and workmanship.

The dealership and the mother corporation can make or break the relationship with the RX. I’ve dealt with two dealerships, one was outstanding another very good. I’ve dealt with mother Lexus twice and had favorable resolutions to the issues without arguments or disagreements.

Have I ever driven any distance in another luxury SUV, or crossover to compare, nope. So maybe my opinion is of no value!!

The following 2 users liked this post by DunWkg:
DocRock (08-05-21), jollick (08-05-21)
Old 08-06-21, 02:49 AM
Wiener
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
repairs, while not unusual, are covered by warranty.
That is not a sign of high quality. It is just nice warranty, but a new car should not need usual repairs. I do compare RX to RAV4 hybrid. While of course RX is more luxurious, has better materials inside, rides better, is faster etc. ... RAV4 was completely trouble-free. RX is not. My main driver to buy a Lexus is its reputation of reliable and durable car.
Old 08-06-21, 10:01 AM
andye39s
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiener

Sorry you're having trouble with your RXh. I've owned every generation of the RX hybrid as well as the first gen gas only RX. None of them had ever gone back for any repairs. My current RX did produce the seal barking sound when braking. I never brought it in and the noise had stopped all on its own. I do remember bringing the 2006 RX400h in for a software update to correct a bucking issue and that was it.

I will always buy the hybrid version of the RX for the increased power and smoothness, much better fuel economy (I got 32MPG actual on my last fillup), and less maintenance compared to the gas only version. Why no V8? I like my 30+ miles per gallon

I'll add that I traded my 2006 RX400h for a 2008 Acura MDX for the third row seating. That MDX had an intermittent front end vibration and could not be fixed after numerous visits, including wasting $$$ on replacing brakes and tires per recommendation to no avail. I went back to a 2012 RXh.
The following 4 users liked this post by andye39s:
DocRock (08-06-21), GS350Miami (08-07-21), jollick (08-06-21), Ohtexan (08-08-21)
Old 08-07-21, 10:30 AM
golferjack
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts

DocRock, you say "(my wife doesn't like driving hybrids).". Could you elaborate on her dissatisfaction?
Old 08-07-21, 06:56 PM
DocRock
Pit Crew

Received 126 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by golferjack
DocRock, you say "(my wife doesn't like driving hybrids).". Could you elaborate on her dissatisfaction?
My wife doesn't like CVTs. Her favorite cars were normally-aspirated V-6s with a manual gearbox. Since just about every upscale car now has an automatic, she likes a V-6 with obvious shift points. Hence her RX 350.

Quick Reply: Hybrid worth it?