Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

Hybrid worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-15, 12:46 PM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

The question is do you get the extra spent back in gas savings.

I am thinking not for a long time.
Old 11-18-15, 10:32 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner

unless you're driving a Prius ( we had a 2011 Prius), then it's a NO.
we also have a Tesla model S and a RAV4 EV, and as you can see in my signature a Toyota land cruiser for hauling and travelling with 6 people comfortably.

Even with a fully electric vehicle, there are hidden charges in the ownership.
the installation of a level 2 EVSE station at home range from $1000-3000 depending on your garage/ townhouse/condo structure.
and that cost is upfront.

we did the calculation, and to get even it will take us 2 years to see the savings from fueling a regular unleaded sedan.

So to get a hybrid/electric vehicle for the sole reason of saving from the pump doesn't really fly with us.
Old 12-31-15, 12:16 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

From an economic point of view, you have to be a high mileage driver to really benefit financially. My brother is a high mileage driver and his Prius Plug-in have been a real bargain.
Old 12-31-15, 07:14 PM
pdaeng
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

To me, hybrid means fun. I like to watch the energy flow while driving a hybrid and play the gas saving game.
Old 02-11-16, 08:40 AM
cooladude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at the CO2 emissions on fuel economy.gov -- hybrids pollute the environment less. When stopped, they are not emitting much to nothing.

That can't be beat. I view the recycling/battery maintenance/manufacture aspects of it as sunk costs....the car is there -- yes, I know demand brings it there -- but it's been built.

At this point, driving a hybrid versus a non-hybrid puts out less CO2. Your carbon footprint is better.

Some cars have engine start/stop when fully braked which is nice but the EV mode in hybrids still lets much less CO2 out.
Old 02-11-16, 10:23 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hybrids have a significantly lower carbon footprint. We've owned at least one hybrid for the last 12years.

Our current 2 cars are our 2015 RX450h and a 2015 Nissan Leaf. We drive the 100% electric Leaf 95% of the time. It's a great car for all trips less than 80 miles a day. Electric tax credits make electric cars very resonably priced.

Free to use L2 charging stations and Fast charge stations are popping up all over the place. Home L2 chargers Run about $500 for hardware plus cost to install a 40a/240v supply. My electrician billed me $160 to install mine so my total cost was $660 less the 30% federal tax credit.

The RX450h is a great car also. It quiet, smooth acceleration and gets between 27-31 MPG in either city or hyway trips.
Old 02-11-16, 01:29 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

If you feel the need to save the environment buy a Tesla or any other electric vehicle. The hybrid is better then the gasoline but your still going to be polluting. The Gasoline of course pollutes the most.

The carbon footprint ehh. Some say a tesla is the biggest polluter in that sense since the way the battery lithium is sourced is questinable and carbon-circuitous.

Hybrid
-Good in the City only when Gas Prices are High
-Good Punch from light to light
-Quiet (if your into that)

Gasoline
-No CVT Drone
-good for highway driving
-Cheaper repairs 10 years down the line
Old 02-15-16, 10:51 AM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the Hybrid worth it? For a couple grand more, YES.

Pros
- better gas mileage
- unique trim
- faster car due to combination of gas/electric.
- lower emissions

Cons
- may have to replace battery down the road.
- mpg may start to go down over time.

I have driven a 07 rx450h for almost six years and I would have to say at the time of the car purchase, I was getting around 25/28mpg. Now im averaging 19mpg on premium fuel. But I also have to consider that the car was not very well taken care of. It wasnt like I never changed oil or anything like that.

I recently took the 07 rx450h for service and they gave me the either 2013-2014 rx450h as a loaner. The car had 4000 miles on it brand spanking new. Brand spanking new but had the maintenance required light on btw...anyways I got to keep the car for a day and test it out.

Gas mileage was absolutely amazing. I didn't check the actual mpg I was getting because im a retard and forgot but im estimating around 29-30mpg on premium fuel. Putting the petal down a bit more, the car felt strong and acceleration wasn't bad but I wasn't all that impress by the pull distance from other cars at the stop light. It felt like a heavy car when hard accelerating.

In conclusion, I would always get hybrid if I can.
Old 02-15-16, 06:40 PM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner

Break even point is a long time.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/hybridCompare.jsp

While the RX isn't there you can pick something similar price difference wise.
The ES hybrid for example takes >six years to just break even.
Price saved per year won't even cover the enform renewal costs.

But it is still a nice vehicle

Last edited by bootman; 02-15-16 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-13-16, 07:21 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had 2 Rx hybrids and will get my 3rd ('16 Rxh) next week. I don't buy them because they save me money in the long term and I know the payout for me is probably "never" because I get new car fever every few years. I like the hybrids because of the extra tech and the idea that I'm driving a vehicle that is more "green" than most others. I really lust for a Tesla Model S but I have range anxiety. So for me the Rxh is the best practical option. We take it on all our trips and I like that I can typically average 29 mpg without really trying to drive conservatively. If I baby it and really try I can get 30 mpg but it's too much work; my driving habits are set.

I have driven a Tesla Model S and...OMG can they accelerate fast! And there is almost NO noise because there is no gas engine. They also have a lot of little very cool features like disappearing door handles that quietly show up when you approach the vehicle. Then there's the OTA updates...but being a computer nerd I have to wonder how long it will be until we see that someone hacked a Tesla and caused it to do something bad.

At the end of the day it seems government pushed the hybrids because of their green factor but didn't realize the impact on tax revenue. I get the fact that EVs don't pay gas taxes yet they use the roads. But it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that you can get a Federal tax credit when you buy one, yet the state makes you give that back over time by charging you a registration penalty.

So, is it worth it to me? Absolutely...for now.
Old 04-25-16, 12:36 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Hey guys - did the 3RX have a 120V power outlet? It looks like the 4RX does not.
Old 04-25-16, 01:06 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Hey guys - did the 3RX have a 120V power outlet? It looks like the 4RX does not.
My 2015 RX450h has a 120V outlet. It was Option Code JC, and I think required the Luxury Package. About $100.
Old 04-26-16, 12:27 AM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

What is the real world range on a full tank of gas? 500 miles?
Old 04-27-16, 09:14 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by litzdog911
My 2015 RX450h has a 120V outlet. It was Option Code JC, and I think required the Luxury Package. About $100.
Or you can buy a small inverter, which is what I have for charging laptops, etc.
Old 04-27-16, 01:18 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRxh
Or you can buy a small inverter, which is what I have for charging laptops, etc.
I would only go for a quality inverter or for ease buy the DC block for certain devices direct from the mfh of ur e device. I say this since some inverters really mess around with the quality of their parts which affects your charging device negatively.

Quick Reply: Hybrid worth it?