Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Check Hybrid System warning light - Lexus says nothing wrong

Old 07-13-16, 07:45 PM
amdaxiom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, you are definitely out of warranty, as was I. Lexus Corporate did offer to help cover half my costs and my dealership gave me some additional discounts so I ended up paying under 3400$ for everything for a new battery. Granted I was at 100K but I was almost 8 months over the 8 years.

I'd go for a Greentec battery or see if one of the Prius battery shops can repair some of the bad cells. With all the hybrids on the road there are independent shops that are getting pretty good at finding and changing out some of the bad cells in your battery sand saving you thousands of dollars.
Old 10-07-16, 06:06 PM
Daymaker
Driver School Candidate

Default Another Newporter here with the same trouble on my 08 gs450h

Originally Posted by amdaxiom
I'm actually out of warranty by 8 months. I guess I was lucky and I think my Newport Lexus service advisor helped me as well. I was able to get half the cost of the parts covered by Lexus Corporate. He made sure to tell me to tell Corporate to call him directly and speak to him and he would help me as much as he could and put in a good word for me. I think that's what helped get Corporate to cover half the parts cost. I've been dealing with him since I got the car but I haven't brought it in the past couple of years. Glad he still remembered me though.

All in all things worked out for me. Going to bring the car in on Monday to get the battery replaced. Total cost should be under $3500 is the old core is good.
So I live in Newport Beach as well and my 08 gs450h needs a new traction battery. Who helped you at Newport lexus. My lexus is 8 months out of warranty but has less than 69,500 miles on it. She's basically new still.. could you share your service techs name with me so I can see if he or she can help me out too. Westminster lexus wants over $6,000 to fix it . They were the closest dealer to me when lights came on.
Old 10-07-16, 08:04 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Daymaker
So I live in Newport Beach as well and my 08 gs450h needs a new traction battery. Who helped you at Newport lexus. My lexus is 8 months out of warranty but has less than 69,500 miles on it. She's basically new still.. could you share your service techs name with me so I can see if he or she can help me out too. Westminster lexus wants over $6,000 to fix it . They were the closest dealer to me when lights came on.
You probably won't get any relief, I had a similar situation, well under mileage, but over on time.

Lexus was no help.

I learned to rebuild the batteries myself.

Cost me $1500 to source ~1 year old modules out of wrecked prius'
Old 10-12-16, 12:02 AM
lexusisgs
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 83 Posts
Default voltage of replacement cells

just wondering what will be voltage readout on those battery cells from priusu took
Old 10-12-16, 04:57 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by lexusisgs
just wondering what will be voltage readout on those battery cells from priusu took
They are the same modules as the gs450h. 7.6-7.7 nominal.

Voltage isn't all of it though, they need to be tested for capacity also, in which case 6.5ah is considered new.
Old 10-19-16, 09:02 AM
lexusisgs
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 83 Posts

how can I test them for capacity ? which method was used for test.?

I have couple from camry 2009 about 7.8 V .
​​​​​​​thanx
Old 10-19-16, 06:28 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by lexusisgs
how can I test them for capacity ? which method was used for test.?

I have couple from camry 2009 about 7.8 V .
thanx

I use this to test charge and discharge amps.

If done outside of the battery pack, you have to clamp the packs between two pieces of wood to prevent the battery from ballooning.
Old 10-19-16, 07:27 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Forgot to post the link
Old 02-06-17, 01:03 PM
cyberm
Driver School Candidate

Angry CT 200 check hybrid system

Hi:

I own a 2012 CT-200 ,same issue as reported here, first time I was told by the dealer that it was a regular battery problem (no the hybrid), they changed it and charged $350. A week after same message comes again, followed by all the lights in the dashboard being lighted and total loss of control of the car (engine, power steering, brakes) not working. Took the car to a dealer again, this time they said that they found a "loose plug" in the hybrid battery.

A week after the second incident same issue happens again, this time while driving on the speedway. I lost control of the car again, check hybrid system message came first followed by all the lights on and complete lost of control of the car. This time the car did not start anymore and I towed it to the dealer.

Issue is that I am now really afraid of driving the car, I felt I was trapped in a killing machine with nothing that I could do .I was lucky that I did not get into an accident: Is this a problem with all the hybrid cars? I had lost engine or brakes before but never all the systems at once.

Any advise will be appreciated.
Old 08-13-17, 02:40 AM
adamselene
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy me 2, second time

same story, but my first (free ) replacement 55k miles, now 37k mile and 32 months later getting call the dealer, got lame low fuel excuse, happened again ten gallons later, dealer had car for a week and nothing wrong.

Any after market solutions? I would love a Li+ battery, or better yet, a Mr Fusion!