Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Why is Lexus degrading the RX450h

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-14, 06:11 AM
cactusgary
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is Lexus degrading the RX450h

Whilst other car makers are adding features to their top car?? (in Canada, the 2013 RX450h loaded came in at about 79K; that makes it a top car by price alone). The Radar cruise is gone, they have not added AC seats, nor any of the current "safety features". Why? I know they sell a lot of them but that is no reason NOT to make these options available. The closest competitor around here is the 350 ML Diesel - where all options are available.
Old 10-06-14, 06:37 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Not only did they remove swiveling headlights, they also made HIDs scarce.
IMHO, Lexus product planners are high on something. Maybe it's because they are based out of Texas or California and do not drive on the same roads as the rest of the population.
Or they might be running panel boards with typical Lexus customers to find out how they use their vehicles.
Maybe a typical aging Lexus client does not need all those features.
Old 10-06-14, 06:37 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I understand what you're saying, but maybe it's because Lexus is waiting to add these features to the next generation RX in 2016?? Just a guess.

In regards to the HID's I have no idea what Lexus is thinking making the HID's "scare". That makes no sense to me.
Old 10-06-14, 07:34 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

When did they do away with radar cruise?
Old 10-06-14, 07:56 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny you bring this up OP. Coming from a different model (2and gen Toyota Sienna) I was flat out perplexed when the 3rd gen came out and how cheap Corporate had gone. They replaced all soft touch materials throughout to hard computer plastic and just an overall downgrade of materials.
Thus placing dead last in every comparison test & sales.
But as JT4 alluded to-VIOLA!- this years model they returned with many of the features that made the 2nd gen so well liked. Sometimes I refuse to upgrade when I see this and rather go with the best generation model(whatever to your liking & knowledge) with low, low miles and wait it out.
Old 10-06-14, 09:10 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Not only did they remove swiveling headlights, they also made HIDs scarce.
IMHO, Lexus product planners are high on something. Maybe it's because they are based out of Texas or California and do not drive on the same roads as the rest of the population.
Or they might be running panel boards with typical Lexus customers to find out how they use their vehicles.
Maybe a typical aging Lexus client does not need all those features.
Uhh, I think I resemble the typical aging Lexus client LOL. But I do have and use these items often.

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Sometimes I refuse to upgrade when I see this and rather go with the best generation model(whatever to your liking & knowledge) with low, low miles and wait it out.
Yep, you hit the nail with the hammer on why I haven't upgraded yet. Geez Louise if they don't come with a car soon that's interesting to me.... I really don't need the size anymore and have been eying two on the highways. The Prius V and the all new Mini Cooper S larger wagon series for a fun car with a 'bit' of storage room. No decisions yet.
Old 10-07-14, 05:56 AM
Nezumi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting that you say that. I just bought my 450h yesterday and it came with at least several of those options. The options you listed are not stocked by the dealer, but I was told I could custom order them. I believe they still make it on the car, but they were just not popular enough so I guess they sit on the lot.

I guess we are all in the market for different things now. I want something totally muted and comfortable for the family, now that I have another kid on the way. I got out of my custom ordered IS 350 which was a ton of fun to drive and handled very well.

I've heard too many stories about German made cars and their reliability, so I decided to stick with Lexus as they've always been good to me.
Old 10-19-14, 08:31 AM
Art234
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In NY I got a 2015 RX450h equipped about the same as my 2010. Yes the headlights don't swivel any more and that's surprising, but they do self level. I have the HID headlights with the LED fogs, which is the standard config for hybrids here. Most other features can be ordered, which is a little easier as they are now built in Ontario and not Japan.