Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

How wide spread is the faulty inverter issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-14, 11:07 PM
HowdyAudi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How wide spread is the faulty inverter issue?

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I am looking to get into an SUV soon and have been doing a lot of research on the different appealing options available:

2006 BMW X3
2006 Infiniti FX35
2008-2009 Subaru Outback 3.0R
2006-2007 Lexus RX400h

Where I stand with each option listed above:

BMW X3 - fun to drive but not fun to fix. I've had two BMWs and a lot of little things go wrong and the cost to repair them is always high. The X3 is short on the options and I hate the panoramic sunroof.

Infiniti FX - Also fun to drive but the fuel economy is appalling, cheap interior materials, V6 is prone to high oil consumption, kind of rough ride.

Subaru Outback - Great for driving to a remote camping site, excellent reliability record and repairs are CHEAP compared to the cars I've had in the past, even with the 6 cylinder engine the car is rather slow, missing a lot of luxury touches like rain-sensing wipers

Lexus RX400h - I've driven both the 350 and 400, both are very nice cars but I don't like feeling the 350 change gears and it feels to top heavy. The 400 has better body control, better acceleration, and no shift shock. I've read that the 350 transmission is problematic (but perhaps is blown out of proportion).

Which is a perfect segway into why I am creating this thread. I hear great things about the 400h except for issues with inverter failure leaving the owner with a $10,000 repair bill. Batteries I can deal with but I refuse to put up with a $10k fix on a car that is only worth $15k. So the golden question is how common are inverter failures? Do they happen mostly to cars of a certain model year? Is there a way to tell if it has been replaced? Do they really only last 100k miles? Does Lexus honor the recall if the car is outside the 10 year 100,000 mile hybrid warranty? This is the only thing keeping me from picking the Lexus over the other cars listed above; so tell me if this problem effects only 1% of 400h owners or if it is part of the 400h ownership experience.
Old 08-05-14, 06:20 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I can only recall a few inverter failures, but that being said the recall is supposed to fix the failure points. Of your selection of cars only the Subaru and Lexus would be in my lineup. My RX400h was bought at 87k miles and I now have 149k miles. Hybrids are a unique animal, but boy do they have power. It is truly like driving a V-8 and yet the RX400h handles like a dream. The prius (Toyota) has proven itself as a very reliable animal, with New York taxi's exceeding 200k miles with very few problems. I base reliability on the RX with the prius.
The usual failures on this car are wheel bearings. I have changed one. Cost is comparable to other cars if you research parts with Sewell Lexus or RockAuto.com. I also would recommend changing The transmission fluid as it is a drain and fill operation on the RX400h. I Change mine yearly. I figure it is cheap insurance, and I have found in all changes the fluid showed wear. As for the batteries, yes there are aftermarket sources now and I have not had that issue. The RX400h has a timing belt, so if the mileage is near 100k you will want to know whether it was changed at 90k or not. Spark plugs are good for 125k miles and make sure you only use the OE Denso or NGK iridium plugs. Love my RX (it is my second one) and hope to drive 250k miles on it.
Old 08-05-14, 06:53 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Search these forums and you will not be able to find someone who paid for their own inverter. The recall prevented most of the failures. Hybrid transmissions also have an issue where they leak coolant. Research that before you make your decision.

I have owned an RX400h and several BMW. Both are not perfect reliability. The difference is you pay your own money for the BMW repairs. With that said also consider the X5 which I consider to be a great deal around the 2006 model year. No major issues.
Old 08-05-14, 05:50 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

First...Any car that is fun to drive is going to be a rougher ride. Gotta have a stiff suspension to get that fun ride.

The inverter issue is covered under a recall,.. In my opinion, if I don't have to pay for it to be fixed, then it isn't an issue.

I wouldn't get an X3. I had one before the RX and it had lots of little kooky things happen. Like the warning lights would all turn on and the car would run like **** but then I would restart it and everything would be fine. It also had the panoramic roof (which I LOVED) but it broke three times while I had it. Lastly, I got 11 MPG...granted I have a very heavy foot, but with the RX400h I still have a heavy foot and get 21MPG.

I haven't owned the other cars but I always feel like Infinitis look and feel cheap although they are quick. And the Subaru isn't even in the same class as the rest of the cars you list plus they are for Lesbians and hipsters with dirty fingernails. But the people who drive them love them. And they hold their value better than the other three.

Those are just my 2 cents.
Old 08-05-14, 11:08 PM
HowdyAudi
Rookie

Jakenbake, you're right about the Subaru in that it does carry that stigma about the lesbians and hipsters...but I'm gay and a capitalist so I'm in the middle ground I guess.

After a great deal of research, the X3 and FX35 are out. I drove an Outback today and it grows on you quickly. It's just nicer than you expect it to be and I like that. But it is slower than I would like it to be.

With the 400h, now that the inverter worry is gone, what is this transmission leakage problem about? I did a search but I got one thread about it and it didn't even go that deep into the issue. What years are affected and is there a permanent fix or TSB from Lexus?
Old 08-05-14, 11:18 PM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by HowdyAudi
Jakenbake, you're right about the Subaru in that it does carry that stigma about the lesbians and hipsters...but I'm gay and a capitalist so I'm in the middle ground I guess.

After a great deal of research, the X3 and FX35 are out. I drove an Outback today and it grows on you quickly. It's just nicer than you expect it to be and I like that. But it is slower than I would like it to be.

With the 400h, now that the inverter worry is gone, what is this transmission leakage problem about? I did a search but I got one thread about it and it didn't even go that deep into the issue. What years are affected and is there a permanent fix or TSB from Lexus?
The transmission leak is not a huge problem. I have seen 4 people on the forums that have had the leak which is more than number with inverter issues. Just have it checked out before you purchase. The transmission is not covered under the hybrid warranty.
Old 08-06-14, 10:32 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm gay myself. I re-read my post and realized my sarcastic joke may not have transferred into text too well.

But like I said...The people who drive Subarus love them. My stepmom has a Forester and loves it. But I can't get over how bare bones they are and noisy (but that is the Forester, not the Outback).

As for the transmission...I haven't heard of this issue. I did just pull out my Consumer Reports (my bible) and the RX has a much better repair history than the Outback.
Old 08-08-14, 05:29 PM
maximizese
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My brother bought an 06 X3 at 60K miles with a 40K mile warranty through BMW. The car was great but had a number of repairs that would have been expensive had it not be for the warranty ($400 for a battery, $700 for an alternator, $1,300 for an AC compressor, etc). At 105K miles, he had his brakes replaced and springs replaced at an independent shop that charged him $600 in parts and $350 in labor. My advice if you go with a BMW is to shop around and see if you have an affordable independent mechanic that you can trust. Many independent Euro mechanics aren't affordable and/or trustworthy...the cars are definitely not trustworthy.
Old 08-10-14, 12:49 AM
HowdyAudi
Rookie

Well I took a Subaru Outback on an extended test drive today. After spending an hour with it I still like it a lot. However it does not feel as planted as the 400h, the 5 speed automatic just cannot compare to how smooth the CVT performs, and the seats are not even in the same league as the Lexus.

I know it's obvious that I should just get the 400h and live happily ever after; now the problem is finding one without the bloated price. Cars here are so expensive! Does anyone know of a market where an RX would be a bit cheaper?
Old 08-10-14, 01:13 PM
maximizese
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HowdyAudi
Well I took a Subaru Outback on an extended test drive today. After spending an hour with it I still like it a lot. However it does not feel as planted as the 400h, the 5 speed automatic just cannot compare to how smooth the CVT performs, and the seats are not even in the same league as the Lexus.

I know it's obvious that I should just get the 400h and live happily ever after; now the problem is finding one without the bloated price. Cars here are so expensive! Does anyone know of a market where an RX would be a bit cheaper?
I live in southern California where Rx400hs go for a premium. I searched cars.com and found one in Scottsdale, AZ for about $4K less than a comparable one in my area. I put a deposit on the car and got a ride from a buddy who was visiting his family in Phoenix. I bought the car at a Jeep dealership and I started to realize that Arizonians love their Jeeps and would probably be ashamed to own a Lexus hybrid. It can get really dusty in AZ and flooding is not atypical. Such an environment would not be favorable for a hybrid and a Jeep would be much more practical. The car was originally from Ca, but the previous owner decided to retire in Scottsdale. I paid $21K out the door in 2010 for a 2007 FWD with 80K miles, brand new tires and windshield (I saw a small crack on the original windshield so the dealership gave me a Safelite replacement voucher).